Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to buy things

(13 Posts)
Laurenchilds123 Thu 02-Mar-17 17:15:09

I've been buying the smaller things, like clothes, nappies, creams, wipes, but was wandering when I should start getting the bigger things such as the cot, pram..

I didn't want to start buying all the main things too early just incase. But I am now 20 weeks.

Did everyone buy things bit by bit, or all around the same time?

Thanks x

flowerpower22 Thu 02-Mar-17 17:51:35

I started buying big items at 20 weeks especially if everything is going well enjoy shopping for your baby smile

PotteringAlong Thu 02-Mar-17 17:53:14

Don't buy too many nappies! Different brands suit different babies (eg Sainsbury's own we're great for DC1 but when DC2 was born his legs were skinnier and they used to leak) and you might be left with shed loads of nappies you can't use.

dilapidated Thu 02-Mar-17 17:53:27

I'm 27 weeks and not bought anything yet.
We have had some hand me downs which means most necessities are sorted though

abeandhalo Thu 02-Mar-17 17:55:57

I guess we probably started buying the big things about then. We're now at 35 weeks & we've got almost everything now. It's good to spread the cost over several months as the big things add up!

arbrighton Thu 02-Mar-17 18:24:50

We started looking at big items at 20weeks then ordered travel system which arrived following week, which still feels a bit soon but they can take ages to arrive depending on which you go for. Furniture for bubs depends a little on whether stuff people have offered is going to materialise.

Got first few bits of clothing in aldi baby event in jan and now have plenty, in variety of sizes.

Need to get the 'consumables' like nappies and creams closer to time. and a sling which I think is going to be used a lot for dog walks etc

Sparklyuggs Thu 02-Mar-17 20:39:46

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm guessing after the 20 week scan is a good time to start buying the bigger items but I bought a cosleeping cot from a FB selling group at 16 weeks as it was the exact one I wanted and I live somewhere remote so not easy to get second hand stuff. I've been buying a few clothes in the sale but not too much stuff just yet.

user1483387154 Thu 02-Mar-17 20:47:28

We have been buying things as we find them (using sales, special bundle offers, vouchers etc) from about 12 weeks. Im now 21 weeks and started buying some clothing bundles off ebay but still have a lot to get. As we do not have much money we have needed to be able to spread out payments over a long time.

ILikeSalmon Thu 02-Mar-17 20:57:58

I started buying after 20 weeks and managed to get loads of bargains on Black Friday and Jan sales.
I have 3 weeks left and that's me ready x

blondehair Fri 03-Mar-17 02:38:32

Thank you for all the messages everyone!

It's so exciting knowing that in a couple of months il have a little baby and il be a mum.
Congratulations on everyone who's having/had a baby recently. Can't wait for everything to be all ready and perfect!

Going to start buying the bigger things in bits from now on as haven't got all the money in the world. I know there are some things that can get passed down from some friends and family who have recently had babies, which is very handy!

I've also been looking online for the essentials we will definitely need to buy. Obviously I know the main things and won't let my baby go without, but does anyone have anything that you have found you have needed/haven't needed more than others and didn't really know about?

Thanks x

Sparklyuggs Fri 03-Mar-17 06:45:42

I was advised not to buy the bulky toys until needed- so no walkers/ jumparoos for newborns as they just clutter up the place.

Sleepyhead is highly recommended by my friends, they're expensive but secondhand is ok (I emailed Sleepyhead to ask) or there's other versions out there.

Remember people often give or buy you things, and they'll grow quickly! I'm not buying 'outfits' for my newborn, just vests and sleepsuits as they'll grow out of them so quickly and it's the type of thing people buy as a gift.

savagehk Fri 03-Mar-17 08:24:07

Have a browse for the big items and you can then buy the one you've decided on if it goes on sale later. Prams especially are very personal choice due to height etc, so try as many out as you can. Personally we didn't even use one as a sling/wrap worked better for us. Worth trying a sling meet if there's one in your area as the same applies to slings!

Newbie10 Fri 03-Mar-17 09:39:07

We had our 20 week scan yesterday and I haven't wanted to buy anything yet. However I have seen a beautiful baby grow that I really want to buy so I might order it today as a celebration that our little one is growing well and is healthy. I think after that we will slowly do research and buy things, sort out the nursery etc over the next couple of months. Like others say it is expensive to buy it all at once!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now