Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Second baby, sweep on due date..

(8 Posts)
Jojo13 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:23:42

I didn't go into labour naturally with my first as was induced at 39 weeks (medical condition)
This time, booked in for a sweep on my due date and wondering about success rates... any good stories of success out there..?!

Thanks

VelvetB Wed 01-Mar-17 21:27:02

I had a sweep for my second, now 10 months old. Had the sweep Saturday morning, when I was 7 days overdue. Went into labour just before midnight with DS born just before 3am. I'm convinced it was the sweep that did as as I had no twinges whatsoever before hand.
Fingers crossed it all goes well for you x

colonelgoldfish Wed 01-Mar-17 21:29:19

I've had 2 babies and 2 sweeps, both on due date.
First sweep - went into labour the next morning (about 18 hrs later)
Second sweep - went into labour about 6 hours later.

Sweeps seem to do the trick for my body!
Good luck!

lananzack Wed 01-Mar-17 21:32:18

Following, I'm in the same boat. Also wondering how painful they are hmm

Tantruminateacup Wed 01-Mar-17 21:45:05

I had Dc3 9 wks ago. Had my sweep @12 noon, first contraction @5pm and she was born at 6.30pm so I would say it was pretty effective. Good luck hopefully you'll be having newborn snuggles very soon.

fruityb Wed 01-Mar-17 21:49:58

I had a sweep and my son was born the following morning. Now I may not be the best case as I think I had already begun the early stages of labour when I went for my scheduled sweep and she did it anyway. I went into established labour not long after so it may have helped things along.

I'll be honest I'll avoid having one should I have another baby. I didn't like it, felt invaded (weirdly even though I had many inspections over the next 24 hours the sweep was just horrible), and I didn't stop bleeding and leaking mucous for the rest of the time I was in labour. It wasn't pleasant. It didn't hurt but I really did not like it at all.

Jojo13 Thu 02-Mar-17 06:47:41

Thanks everyone. Watch this space I guess..

ILikeSalmon Thu 02-Mar-17 07:13:17

I asked this question a few weeks bank and got a mixed response.

I myself had a sweep and even though the midwife said "oh wow you'll definetly give birth very soon"
I didn't and had to get induced a week later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now