Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

private 3D scan vs Gender scan

(12 Posts)
GalaxyDefender2012 Wed 01-Mar-17 10:16:27

Hi all,
We have decided to book an earlier private scan so that we can find out the sex of baby as we are just too impatient haha. My mum and dad are seperated and my dad lives 3 hours away so we've decided to book the scan where he lives so that he can get to experience it with us as my mum has been with me for all of my appointments and scans so far. We looked on the website and were going to book the gender scan but were waiting until we got paid. However, we've just looked back on the website and all the gender scan slots are booked up on that day but they do have 3D scan slots. I'm just wondering if a 3D scan will show the sex too? Or are they completely different?

Tobuyornot99 Wed 01-Mar-17 10:21:58

I had a 3d scan and they offered to tell me the gender, I imagine the "gender acan" is a regular 2d scan. Just be prepared that they may not be able to tell you the gender if baby is in an awkward position, or they may of course get it wrong!

Clickncollect Wed 01-Mar-17 10:23:53

How far along are you?

Somehowsomewhere Wed 01-Mar-17 10:27:50

How many weeks are you? 3D scans are generally recommended to have further along in your pregnancy (can't remember exactly but we had ours at about 30 weeks) as that's when you can see the most.

Somehowsomewhere Wed 01-Mar-17 10:28:29

(Had a sexing scan at 17 weeks, it was 2D)

justanotheryoungmother Wed 01-Mar-17 10:29:48

I had a gender scan at 16 weeks, was accurate and had the option to see her in 3D; you should be able to, ring up and ask?smile

GalaxyDefender2012 Wed 01-Mar-17 10:33:19

Thank you all for replying so soon. I forgot to mention thst at the time of the scan I will be 16+3. I will get my other half to ring and double check. When wecwent for the 12 week scan the baby had it's little legs crossed so I hope this is not going to be the case for our gender scans haha the little pickle

justanotheryoungmother Wed 01-Mar-17 12:40:42

My one had her legs crossed, had to run up and down stairs, do star jumps, shake my hips and eventually had to reschedule because it didn't work 😂

GalaxyDefender2012 Wed 01-Mar-17 13:30:17

Haha I think they know. The sonographer showed us all the body parts and when we saw it's legs crossed at the ankles and sucking its thumb it was like we'd just crept in and had a peak at it through an open window, chilling in it's room with a lamp on hahaha 😂

PrivatePregnancyUK Tue 21-Mar-17 09:05:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 21-Mar-17 09:12:34

We had 3d scan at 16w. Looked like an alien 😉

They said they could tell us the sec but wasn't 100% sure as bubs is stubborn and hides/legs crossed

20w NHS scan. Also stubborn

Went back 3 times to get all measurements and finally at 23w found out a girl

Also had 3d at 30w. Looked like a chubby baby then smile

So yes a 3d can tell sex if baby plays ball

MyMrKnightley Tue 21-Mar-17 09:29:53

My 3D scan at 24 weeks it was obvious, the lady doing the scan whizzed away and then ever so calmly asked if we knew the sex about 15 seconds later. I laughed and said "well if I hadn't I know now" her response was oh you spotted that then. If ds had been a girl probably wouldn't of been as glaringly obvious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now