Talk

Advanced search

Procedure of practice pregnancy

(10 Posts)
flowerpower22 Wed 01-Mar-17 09:12:56

Just wanted to know When you have positive pregnancy test
What happens next at doctors etc

anxiousandpregnant Wed 01-Mar-17 09:23:15

Well it might be different for you from my GP's but they told me to make a GP appointment so he can "confirm" the pregnancy (I did a test during my appointment) and then he asked me to make a midwife appointment for when I was around 8 weeks pregnant and the midwives take it from there. Congratulations!

bonzo77 Wed 01-Mar-17 09:24:39

If you are happy that you are pregnant You need a referral to local maternity services. Your gp can do this or in my area you can self refer. If you do not want to be pregnant you see your gp for next steps or go privately through private providers.

peukpokicuzo Wed 01-Mar-17 09:28:53

It depends on your location to some extent.
In our area you don't need to see a GP at all.
Do you know how many weeks you are?(date since first day of last period is number of weeks even though you are obviously not pg for the first 2 weeks)
You need to have a scan around week 11-12 and it can take a few weeks to arrange that so it's good to get organised early if you can. Google for your nearest community midwife team and ask them what their procedure is - most will want to meet you asap for an appointment where they ask a few questions about your medical history to check if you are in any high risk groups, arrange your scam dare and then probably don't need to see you again for months!

peukpokicuzo Wed 01-Mar-17 09:29:33

scam dare scan date

savagehk Wed 01-Mar-17 09:29:52

My gp appointment was a massive waste of time, if you're able to self refer to midwives that's better. Start taking folic acid. There's lots of paperwork at first mostly!

savagehk Wed 01-Mar-17 09:30:25

My gp appointment was a massive waste of time, if you're able to self refer to midwives that's better. Start taking folic acid. There's lots of paperwork at first mostly!

flowerpower22 Wed 01-Mar-17 15:05:10

Thank you I am going to make appointment now about 8 weeks smile

GreedyDuck Wed 01-Mar-17 15:06:16

I just self referred to my preferred hospital online, didn't see my GP at all.

Choccyhobnob Wed 01-Mar-17 15:17:21

I phoned my gp and they just said to self refer and gave me a number/website where I filled in my details and they contacted me to make a midwife (booking in) appointment for when I was 8 weeks. They arrange your first scan at this appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now