Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thrush!! Help

(12 Posts)
Bethx234 Tue 28-Feb-17 11:09:09

I'm 36 weeks and have suffered really bad thrush throughout my pregnancy. Recently I have been in and out of the hospital due to bleeding caused by the thrush - the hospital prescribed me 7 pessaries to take over a week and I ended back there on the 2nd day due to it really irritating me even more and causing more bleeding sad I got told to stop taking them and to just leave it from now on. It's got to the point where I'm up most the night with severe itching and pain and throughout the day being so uncomfortable and not being able to sit. Sex is off the table because it's too painful so it's not my partner giving it back to me! I just can't get rid of it and it's so disheartening to see bleeding and not know whether to go to hospital just to be told it's thrush again.

Don't know what to do about it anymore I'm so miserable and can't enjoy the last few weeks. Any advice?x

wineapotamus Tue 28-Feb-17 12:29:18

Ooof that sounds terrible. I've suffered with it this time too, especially over night, it really is awful. I'm so appalled they won't give you any more medication for it, you can't be left In such discomfort surely! What are their reasons for stopping treatment? I'm sure you've tried all the natural yoghurt business. I hear cutting out sugar helps but at this stage in pregnancy we need cake! I'm sticking with canesten cream applied liberally and when needed, would going back to that be an option? Massive flowers for you. Thrush + pregnancy = Misery!

mistermagpie Tue 28-Feb-17 12:59:39

It's dreadful. I'm not as bad as you but I have had 5 bouts of thrush in this pregnancy (35 weeks now) and more than that in my last. The pessary works for a couple of days but then it comes back. The only thing that seems to have sorted me out is using the thrush cream (just normal canesten or own brand) every morning and every night. Its not really advised normally, but I've done this every day for 4 weeks and haven't had thrush once.

I know how you feel though, prior to this I had nights where I could have cried from the itching and soreness, it's torture.

Emma2803 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:27:25

Natural yogurt and probiotics should help. Apply the natural yogurt to your lady bits liberally and take a probiotic such as optibac. You can take the children's one and this will also help you get the probiotics baby will need into your gut which will then be passed on to baby as you give birth!! It will definitely help I promise!!! Good luck!!

anotherBadAvatar Tue 28-Feb-17 19:26:00

Stupid question - but are you/they sure it's thrush? If you've had lots of treatment for it and it's not worked - could it be something else? Have you been swabbed?

Also - thrush can be associated with higher blood sugar levels. Is this an issue for you? Have you ever had a glucose tolerance test?

SeeMyVest Tue 28-Feb-17 20:02:56

Have you cut out bread, etc? The triggers? There are lists of foods to avoid all over the web, have you tried that? I really feel for you. It's awful flowers

Snowflakes1122 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:24:08

Are you wearing tight fitting trousers, such as skinny jeans or leggings? I find these seem to make it worse.
I've got it right now too and bought some cream called Linea Mama off Amazon. It's instant relief, so might be worth looking at as it's ok for pregnancy.
I've heard taking a good prebiotic tablet daily helps too. Bimuno is the one I'm looking to buy.

I second the pp who says are you sure it's thrush? If you haven't had a swab test done, it could be something else.

sockgate Tue 28-Feb-17 23:28:35

Ouch, you poor thing.

I highly recommend Multi-Gyn Floraplus (get from Amazon, Boots etc). All of the Canestan solutions did nothing for me but this is amazing. It used to be called BioFem if you want to google some reviews (just make sure you look at the thrush treatment not the BV treatment - similar packaging): www.boots.com/multi-gyn-floraplus-5-x-5ml-10113673

Can you try a pregnancy safe anti-histamine? That will help the area to calm down, which will help you to break the cycle of itching/painful skin.

I also use Epaderm in the shower in that area rather than any soap etc. Plus, very soothing on the area at 3am.

And finally, try drinking cranberry juice and avoiding acidic things. I found that if my pee was too acidic, it used to make it flare up again.

YY to natural yoghurts, loose cotton clothing etc.

LauraK1987 Fri 03-Mar-17 20:19:42

I suffered really badly thrush during my first pregnancy (fingers crossed I've managed to swerve it so far this time!!) during my first pregnancy I would literally get two or three days relief at a time. The only thing that worked for me was natural yoghurt, I absolutely smothered my "bits" in it and instantly felt relief. Also when I was pottering around at home I would wear loose fitting pj bottoms or nightshirts with no underwear on as keeping yourself covered all the time doesn't help at all. Definitely try the natural yoghurt if you haven't already xxx hope you feel better soon

hungrywalrus Sat 04-Mar-17 05:38:19

I've seen kits available for sale to test for bacterial vaginosis. Have they checked you for that?

DinosaurFanGirl Sat 04-Mar-17 09:32:19

Yeah I agree with PP it could be bacterial vaginosis. I was diagnosed with thrush and nothing cleared it. I Googled the symptoms and was like "this seems to be BV not thrush". Went back to my GP and asked her if it could be BV and she said yes so has given me BV medication (very similar to thrush treament) but has also taken a smear test as BV also has similar symptoms to cervical cancer apparently 😕 BV medication seems to be working though so looks to be just that!

BV is often mistaken for thrush x

DirtyDancing Sat 04-Mar-17 09:43:27

I thought smear tests were dangerous in pregnancy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now