Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Struggling with morning sickness and time off work

(15 Posts)
corkles Tue 28-Feb-17 09:09:04

Hello,

I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant and struggling really badly with morning sickness and exhaustion.

I commuted into work yesterday (15 min walk, 15 min train and 20 min tube). I was sick 6 times when I was there and left at lunchtime as I just couldn't cope. Today I feel even worse and haven't managed to keep food down since Sunday afternoon.

I can't imagine being able to make the journey into work and I'm really concerned and stressed about the next few weeks and beyond.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I feel like such a wimp, but this has just completely floored me!

GahBuggerit Tue 28-Feb-17 09:16:10

take each day as it comes. some days may be easier than others in the weeks ahead and ig may even cease completely.

i frequently had to pull over to be sick in a bag take a few mins to gather myself. i could only eat a few bites of toast in the early days and yes comlletely drained. hope it eases for you. have you told work yet?

Hgmother Tue 28-Feb-17 09:17:08

It sounds like you have hyperemesis, go to your gp, ask him to check your ketones (anything above 3+ and they'll admit you to hospital for future reference) and ask for some anti emetics. They'll prescribe you cyclizine and it works for a lot of people. If though, it doesn't agree with you they can prescribe metachlopramide, ondensetron or a few other things. You're not a wimp, it's awful, p.s don't be fobbed off, it happens sometimes, not often, but insist on the help. Good luck hun!

Spam88 Tue 28-Feb-17 09:22:44

Is there anything work can do to make things a bit easier for you, e.g. flexible hours?

togetherlikeglue Tue 28-Feb-17 09:29:44

Don't underestimate how much energy normal life takes (especially commuting and working) - if you're not keeping food down it can become too much and you shouldn't feel guilty if you need to be signed off work. If you feel you can manage to do some work from home, and that is feasible in your job, your GP can recommend that. Definitely take antiemetics if GP prescribes them as both you and the baby need sustenance.

I was signed off work for several weeks in both my pregnancies and took antiemetics. They don't get rid of the extreme nausea but reduce vomiting. It's horrible and exhausting and I feel for you. Take care. Try to see it as an extreme but temporary situation that has to be managed, by will pass.

togetherlikeglue Tue 28-Feb-17 09:30:48

"but will pass", sorry.

corkles Tue 28-Feb-17 09:32:40

I haven't told work yet as it still feels so early. I had a missed miscarriage just over a year ago at 7 weeks, but didn't start miscarrying until just before 12 week scan.

I'm sure work will be flexible, but I'm just worried about what people will think. I know I shouldn't!

I've read about HG and really hope it isn't that. Best to just find out what's what though. I've booked a docs appt for tomorrow!

corkles Tue 28-Feb-17 09:37:21

Thanks togetherlikeglue. It's just good to hear that others have been through similar things and how they managed. I know I'm still really early on in this pregnancy but it can feel so isolating. Guess I just need to focus on the fact that this is temporary and (hopefully) will bring something amazing at the end of it all!

Squeezed Tue 28-Feb-17 09:51:09

Rest, rest, rest. It really is the best thing you can do in combination with anti-emetics. Eat what you can and keep your fluids up however possible beit ice pops or tinned fruit. I told work early because just couldn't manage the commute and needed flexibility. Try and hold onto the thought that it will get better.

elpinguino Tue 28-Feb-17 11:53:42

I'm off work sick at the moment (3 weeks so far...) because I've been vomiting so much in this pregnancy. I'm now 13 weeks. I saw my GP who prescribed cyclizine and gave me a sick note. The cyclizine works in that it's reduced the vomiting enough so that I'm not getting dehydrated, but the nausea is constant. My GP has insisted I stay off - I work in theatres in a hospital where it'd be impossible to manage, so I've taken his advice. I told work about the pregnancy early, you should definitely consider this so that they can be flexible, and so that if you do need time off it counts as pregnancy sickness. I'm sorry about your previous loss too, I know that makes things more difficult, I had a miscarriage before this pregnancy. I hope your GP is supportive, and that you find a combination of rest/fluids/pills that work to get you through the next few weeks. It will get better, just probably not for a few weeks, which I know feels like forever when you're at the start of it. Good luck!

BlytheofWindyWillows Tue 28-Feb-17 12:04:25

I've been signed off work for the last 5 weeks with HG. As the PP said, the medication stops me being physically sick but the nausea is just as bad. I'm still struggling to eat. I also second letting someone at work know. Take care.

togetherlikeglue Tue 28-Feb-17 20:12:10

So sorry to hear about your miscarriage OP flowers

I think you do need to tell work as others have said. Your line manager should keep the reason behind any sick leave confidential from other staff, but there's no harm mentioning that you don't want others to know, just to be clear.

CosyCoupe88 Mon 06-Mar-17 11:15:54

I am on my 2nd day off with morning sickness as a teacher. With my first I had hyperemesis and stupidly just struggled in and vomited so much on way to work and at work then was just such a mess and my work didn't thank me for it.. actually tried to put me on disciplinary as I got behind on book marking. Their reasoning was that I had declared myself fit to work.

I regret putting myself and unborn baby in such a silly position amd this time am taking much better care of myself and trying not to feel guilty.

Have let my (new) work know early as I think that's important so they are aware and may be able to support me with cover for if I have to dash off to be sick or hopefully flexible working. Or just so they record my sickness as pregnancy related straight away.

Look after you self and baby as a priority. You'll be little use to work when you are this ill. Go to doctors and they will sign you off and hopefully you may feel better later into the pregnancy. Though I didn't until 22 ish weeks.

Really feel for you and hoPe you feel better soon

BeaRulez Thu 09-Mar-17 12:07:08

Hiya!

I had bad morning sickness through my first trimester and had to drop work all together because I couldn't stop, but then got another job during my second trimester when the sickness stopped, and they knew I was pregnant.

Have you told them you're pregnant? Maybe it's a good idea to. I was really worried what people would say & think and about managers but they completely understood and did everything they could to accommodate, most managers are really good with it and give you all the time you need.

Hope you feel better soon x

JessieMillz25 Thu 09-Mar-17 14:44:36

I had horrendous morning sickness. Though I didn't know it was that till I had been sick for nearly 8 weeks. Rest is the best medicine. I'm a teacher and the only way I got through it was going to bed when I got home from work at half past four and working from bed 🙈🙈🙈. Try and sleep as much as you can. And keep thinking of the joy you will have at the end of all this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now