Talk

Advanced search

GTT in first trimester

(9 Posts)
MiniBump2017 Tue 28-Feb-17 03:48:23

Has anyone else had to do a GTT in the first trimester while suffering from bad morning sickness? Had booking appointment yesterday and got told I need to do a GTT asap because of my urine sample results. I think something in my brain almost snapped when I heard that... I struggle with fasting blood tests at the best of times, but how do I even physically do this when I've been waking up in the middle of the night (like now) and need to eat something straight away, and would be very sick if I even stay in bed beyond 8 without food...

So what I need to do is fast from midnight, turn up at 8:30, have blood test, drink a bottle of lucozade and then re-test in 2 hours. I asked what would happen if I physically can't keep it down, and was told that I would have to keep repeating the appointment until it's done...

The recommendation is to eat a big meal the night before... I cannot remember the last time I had anything resembling a normal meal let alone a big meal. Any advice or suggestions? I'm getting a little desperate... So far I've been told to just pull myself together :-(

Cupcakegirl13 Tue 28-Feb-17 04:00:57

I have had GTT's at 28 weeks in both my pregnancies and am pregnant with third and have just had appointment through for it again at 28 weeks. Have they picked up maybe something of concern in your urine prompting an early test maybe ? No tips on keeping it down I'm afraid , I found it hard at 28 weeks after I had got over the bulk of my sickness symptoms it's a horrible syrupy drink to have on an empty stomach x

drinkyourmilk Tue 28-Feb-17 04:26:31

I suspect it's ketones that they have picked up in your urine. Both dehydration and GD can result in them being present. I had the GTT at 16 weeks because of ketones (negative ) and again at 30 weeks (positive). Both times I needed to repeat it due to vomiting. I've hyperemesis (which is why I'm up now) and it's miserable. You just need to do what you can and accept it will probably need repeating. I just concentrated on keeping it down for 2 hours. Had a vomit bowl in my hands for directly afterwards.

MiniBump2017 Tue 28-Feb-17 08:45:28

Thanks for your replies. I was definitely dehydrated, having had very little to drink (had a minor panic when I was asked to give a urine sample). It's good to know (sort of!) that I'm not just worrying about nothing. I guess I just need to focus my efforts on surviving the test...

drinkyourmilk Tue 28-Feb-17 10:21:56

With regards to combating the dehydration - I carry a water bottle with me at all times (even at work) and take a sip every 10 minutes or so. Some days it works,
some days ....
ice pops and lollies are your friend. I've found very cold drinks work best for me. Haven't touched a hot drink since my bfp as can't stomach them.
some people swear by citric juices and say they stay down better.
Flat coke and strangely milkshakes seem to be popular.
Lastly - get to a gp and get some meds. If the first one they suggest doesn't work keep going back, there are lots they can try.

drinkyourmilk Tue 28-Feb-17 10:26:05

Forgot to say- it took me about 20 minutes to drink the lucozade. I had a couple of sips then rested 5-10 minutes to let my tummy adjust. Then was able to sip/drink the rest quicker. Feeling nauseous then glugging 410ml of fizzy sugar is a recipe for disaster.
Cool/cold air on my face, shallow breathing and wandering helped me keep it down.

JJ1612 Tue 28-Feb-17 19:08:46

I have to have my GTT in a few weeks (I'll be 33 weeks) and am a bit worried. I get starving in the morning then by about 2 can't eat anything. I'm having bad sickness too so the thought of having to drink 500ml of lucozade on an empty stomach is not ideal! Plus I keep getting light headed and dizzy so not sure drinking 500ml of glucose is gonna help confused

pinkjumper Tue 28-Feb-17 19:13:33

Would you consider taking anti sickness medication?

I am taking a cyclizine tablet daily prescribed by my GP that completely gets rid of nausea and vomiting. That would possibly help your situation?

IceLemonGin Tue 28-Feb-17 19:36:23

I had a GTT at 7 weeks due to GD in my last pregnancy. I was suffering badly from nausea and morning sickness, I was scared I was going to vomit but actually it wasn't too bad as it was cold.

Make sure you take something to eat for afterwards as it can make you feel a bit weird. Oh and a book...it's a long 2 hours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now