Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Induction on Sunday

(14 Posts)
Imavinoops Mon 27-Feb-17 19:18:20

So DD is due a week Wednesday. She was going to be induced that day due to her growth slowing slightly. I'll be honest, it seemed like a long way off.
Now it's changed to Sunday!!
Eek! DP is freaking out and I'm holding it together (and secretly freaking out too!)

We are so happy and excited but all of a sudden we are possibly going to have a little baby in our arms in a few days time! It feels so surreal!

Anyone have any induction stories to help calm my nerves?
(And if not feel free to come and jump around with me in excitement!)

FruitCider Mon 27-Feb-17 20:50:59

I've got a great induction story! Ok, it took 43 hours but active labour was only 7 hours.

The worst bit was from when they turned the drip on until the anaesthetist arrived to put in my epidural. Yes it hurt, but I survived to tell the tale. Only had a small labial tear, no forceps. Couldn't have gone better really!

Oh EAT A LOT BEFORE THEY TURN ON THE DRIP! Because you will be on clear fluids only once that drip starts.

Good luck!

Imavinoops Mon 27-Feb-17 20:53:12

Ooh great tip about the eating bit! I was literally just asking DP about that! Thanks!

Jojo13 Tue 28-Feb-17 08:39:15

It's a weird feeling knowing you will have a baby on a certain day isn't it?! Or at least just knowing when you're going in.
I was induced with my first, I went in the weds afternoon and had DS very early hours of the Friday morning. No major horror stories! Just take stuff to do/read/listen to etc because it's a pretty boring sterile environment to go through the early stages of labour: at least if you're home you have your own tv/bath/bed etc.
Good luck and congrats x

snoopyokay Tue 28-Feb-17 08:58:06

I was induced after my waters went, the drip does ramp up the contractions but once I had the epidural I was fine, actually think I fell asleep at one point?! Small tear and baby arrived about 12 hours later!

Anotherminime Tue 28-Feb-17 09:14:00

My top tips are, it can take a while so bring plenty to do! it can take several attempts for it to work plus they have to have space in the labour we'd before they will start anything so I ended up waiting a day before they even gave me the pessary.

I second the eating thing too - eat as much as you can! I had a poor breakfast and only half a jacket potato on the day I was induced. I missed dinner as labour had started. It was another day of active labour before my DD was born and I was exhausted!! It would have been much better I think if I'd been well fed!

Bring your own pillows, the hospital ones aren't that comfortable and it's lovely to have something to help you sleep!

Bring an eye mask and good ear plugs! Sleeping on the ward is hard, there are women in varying stages of labour there so you might struggle to get a good nights rest which is again important as you need your energy for labour.

I was lucky in that the pessary started things off for me quickly. I was 40+14 though so may have been pretty ready to go into labour! I didn't find the contractions too bad, but with a back to back labour and my DD getting stuck I was exhausted. I ended up having an epidural which was AMAZING. I slept!!

Good luck, soon you'll have your lovely DD smile

Imavinoops Tue 28-Feb-17 09:30:40

Thank you everyone, these are amazing tips, most of which I had no idea about or even considered!

I'm off to start packing a few extra bits and bobs to do I think! I haven't really got anything like that packed so it will be a tad dull if I don't I think. wink

RyanStartedTheFire Tue 28-Feb-17 09:34:21

Both tips the pessary set me off so I didn't even need the drip and 4hr active labour each time. I would buy sweets to snack on and move, move, move. I must have done 50 loops around our hospital getting things going but it works wonders.

Imavinoops Tue 28-Feb-17 09:37:32

Ryan I have some sweets packed already luckily. DP is a fainting risk so I thought I better bring something sugary. wink

I'll remember to move around lots too.

RyanStartedTheFire Tue 28-Feb-17 09:40:11

Crab walking down the stairs! I'm not sure if I was doing it right but it worked grin

Imavinoops Tue 28-Feb-17 09:42:44

Ryan Crab walking! grin That sounds hilarious!! Haha! I'll be sure to try that out, if only for the fun of it!

Kintan Tue 28-Feb-17 09:49:25

I'd suggest getting the epidural before you are put on the drip - I though I had quite a high pain threshold, but it was too intense for me to handle. When I did get the epidural it was such a relief! My induction ended in an emcs, but rest assured if yours does too it'll be fine and your baby will make everything worth it. Good luck!

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Tue 28-Feb-17 10:04:56

My induction story is the same as PP! It took forever to get going and I wasn't prepared for that so just try to bear it in mind! After two days though, once things started going it was only 7 hours active labour until DD was born smile Try to think of things you can take to keep you occupied until things ramp up so time doesn't drag and agree with advice to eat while you can! Good luck!

Imavinoops Tue 28-Feb-17 17:46:21

Thank you everyone! This is so helpful!

On a slightly different note I feel like crap all of a sudden, I'm kind of crossing my fingers this thread will become a little redundant and she might make her appearance before Sunday! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now