Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Did you listen to baby's heartbeat at first scan?

(16 Posts)
Carlalala101 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:42:26

When I had my first scan, the hospital was really busy and the appointment was so rushed that I was only in there for 3-4 minutes. I'm worried that the sonographer didn't perform it properly; he literally put the camera on, took a measurement and photo then said there's the heart and that was it. I can't remember if I heard my first DCs at the first scan but I'm pretty sure I did and that it was much more thorough. How was yours?

PurpleTraitor Mon 27-Feb-17 14:43:54

No

What gestation is 'first scan'?

I wouldnt think anyone would be listening for heartbeats prior to 16 weeks at a minimum. They look at the heart beating on a scan not listen.

fuzzywuzzy Mon 27-Feb-17 14:45:48

At the 12 week scan they did, and they told us the heartbeat rate.

They then measured the fluid behind baby's neck and all other marker tests.

Measured baby, checked baby's head and brain and that's it.

user1483387154 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:47:18

Not with the first scans no. I heard the baby's heartbeat at about 14 weeks but saw it before then.

Carlalala101 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:54:07

That's more like what I thought I remembered fuzzywuzzy. This seemed far too rushed.

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Mon 27-Feb-17 15:14:10

Yes they did at ours and took quite a few measurements like fuzzy said x

Notjustuser1458393875 Mon 27-Feb-17 15:18:45

My first scans were each about an hour long, including lots of checking the heart (and the audio) but that was at Harris Birthright at King's which is top notch.

To allay your fears though, while your scan sounds very rushed, the sonographer can see the heart beating, so no need to listen.

EssentialHummus Mon 27-Feb-17 15:23:08

I had mine today at 12 weeks. It lasted about 25 minutes. We heard and saw the heartbeat.

SockQueen Mon 27-Feb-17 15:40:49

My first scan was at 5+4 so we couldn't see a heartbeat. If you mean the first "standard" NHS scan at 12 weeks, we could see a heartbeat but they didn't listen to it. If they can see it, then listening is just done by switching modes on the probe, it doesn't add any useful information, so it's not necessary, plus may be hard to hear at 12 weeks even if it's easily visible. If you have concerns that they didn't do all the necessary measurements, talk to your midwife, but not listening to the heartbeat at that stage is not a problem.

babyunicornvomit Mon 27-Feb-17 16:17:58

My first scan was 12 weeks, about 15 mins long and no heartbeat. Had the heartbeat checked and listened to at 16 week midwife appointment x

gigi556 Mon 27-Feb-17 17:57:30

I specifically asked about listening to the heart beat at all my appointments until they finally did as I had a previous miscarriage and was worried. At my 12 week scan they showed us the heartbeat but we didn't hear it. I don't think ultrasounds have sound... Sonographer said you can't hear it but you can see it and here it is. I got to listen at my 16 week appointment with the midwife over the Doppler.

AmyG87 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:18:09

At my 12 & 20 week scans, we saw the heartbeat but didn't hear it as we were told the machines didn't have the facility.... however, at all of my midwife appointments since week 18, I have heard the heartbeat smile x

Mummyh2016 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:31:15

Heard it at a private scan at 8 weeks and my midwife appointments at 16 and 24 weeks. Didn't hear it at an NHS scan.

JessieMillz25 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:49:14

Didn't get to hear it either scans. Didn't think anything about it as it is our first baby. I got to hear it at my 25 week midwife appointment. I know lots of midwives let you listen earlier but our trust doesn't allow or before then.

arbrighton Mon 27-Feb-17 19:31:37

My midwife asked if I wanted to try at 17 week appt with the warning that it might be too early and so not to worry if we didn't. We tried and it was there.

Nothing mentioned about heart at 12 week scan (DH noticed it but I somehow didn't)- they measured the baby length and NT fold but it wasn't a long appt, even if we did have to wait for bean to stop wriggling for long enough to measure.

20 week scan, it was pointed out and checked but we didn't 'listen' to it. Four chambers all there and then flow direction checked (colour coding)

Helbelle75 Mon 27-Feb-17 20:36:43

We had a private scan at 10 weeks and saw and heard it then.
At our 12 week scan we didn't but were on there a good 20 minutes as she took all of the measurements.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now