Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone given birth at Derriford hospital in Plymouth?

(41 Posts)
Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 18:54:55

I'm due in August and I'm seriously considering giving birth in Exeter (I have a family friend there) everyone including the midwife thinks I'm being crazy! Especially the midwife who thinks I'm being silly. I've just read some terrible things about it, exeters one looks so nice, I want a water birth and Exeter even lets you bring in your own pool. I currently live in Plymouth.

Lovelongweekends Sun 26-Feb-17 18:58:40

I've given birth at Derriford three times, one emcs and two elcs. Have no experience of water birth but always found them brilliant. They never made me feel bad if I went in with reduced movements or the like and their NICU is fantastic. The only bad thing I can think of is the car parking!

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 19:00:29

When was your last one? It's just the bad reviews seem to be in the last year and a half,

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 19:01:55

I don't mean to sound silly about this its just giving birth is scary enough without being treated poorly.

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 19:08:10

They have a new review that seems positive, so that's good.

Lovelongweekends Sun 26-Feb-17 19:09:14

5months ago! To be fair I can only say from a c-section with a stay in hospital point of view as I have never experienced a straight forward birth and then home the same day (not the hospital's fault.)
I found the midwives very attentive and kind and the care on the wards afterwards good (if anything too attentive as an F1was convinced I had a blood clot when I knew it was just trapped gas so I got sent off for scans etc but better safe than sorry!).
Admittedly Derriford is not going to win any awards for looks but I was always treated well and professionally and it was nice to see my community midwife on rotation in the hospital.
One of the midwives this time even remembered me from my first pregnancy six years ago and took the time to have a quick chat.

Hecticlifeanddrowning8 Sun 26-Feb-17 19:10:20

I have 5 times last one 17 months ago And although the community midwifes and the triage place wasn't the best😬, the delivery suite was brilliant , calm, clean with supportive midwives.
What is it that worries you about derriford?

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 20:03:14

www.nhs.uk/Services/hospitals/ReviewsAndRatings/DefaultView.aspx?id=921&spid=208714&SortType=1#cmnt1494566

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 20:04:01

This one made me freak a little www.nhs.uk/Services/hospitals/ReviewsAndRatings/DefaultView.aspx?id=921&spid=208714&SortType=1#cmnt1533963

Mamabear14 Sun 26-Feb-17 20:06:36

I gave birth in exeter 18 months ago, actually I've had all 3 of mine at exeter but only one in the women's hospital. I was stuck on an induction ward for 4 days which was the least fun ever. Once I actually got to labour ward I can't fault the midwives at all, or the students, or the nurses. I would say they are all lovely, but stretched, so very busy. So if you needed breastfeeding help etc after I don't think it would be somewhere they could dedicate 1-1 time to you. Partners were also allowed to stay over which I know some don't like.

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 20:07:11

I used to work at a care home and the little complaints were generally the tip of the ice berg.

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 20:09:13

See I'd love my partner to stay over, I can't stand being alone at night.

jimpeake Sun 26-Feb-17 20:10:15

I gave birth there 6 years ago.

The ante natal care and during labour was excellent. However I had to stay in for a week afterwards and found the postnatal care pretty lacking if I'm honest.

That said it's a major hospital which was important to me should anything have gone wrong.

DogMama89 Sun 26-Feb-17 20:10:20

I don't have any experience, but it you are really anti derriford Have you thought about the new ward at Torbay??! It's probably closer to you than exeter now that new road is in?
However that said, do you want to be driving for the best part of an hour in labour, or risk not being able to make it to your first choice at all, and then end up back at derriford but without any measures in place? Xxxxxx
Best Of luck op flowers

Lovelongweekends Sun 26-Feb-17 20:14:58

Neither of those reviews reflect my experiences of the TCW or Derriford in general. As an example, the phone charger one lady mentions. I had to go in as an emergency at 25wks pregnant with a bleed and did not have my charger. It was explained to me that they couldn't give me a charger due to health and safety and PAT testing but they went out of their way to find another patient who was willing to lend me one.
They are very busy and there is some need for you to take ownership of the situation and ask exactly what's happening but I found all the staff helpful and informative and if you treat them with respect then they return that respect to you.

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 20:23:24

It seems the same risk as home birth as over half of first time mums have to go to hospital, I think Exeter just looked nice as Derriford doesn't do a video walk through or anything. I'm sure derrifords fine, I just didn't like the idea of being treated poorly by staff as I get quite anxious and was mentally abused for years.
So words and actions really affect me.

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 20:26:49

It seems that people who have something good to say don't generally leave reviews, probably because their busy with their lovely bundles. But please keep the comments coming as I found it hard to find any recent information so I'm sure others after reading those reviews are searching too X X X thank you guys.

Lovelongweekends Sun 26-Feb-17 20:31:49

They have the video tour here: www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk/maternity-unit-tour
If you have any specific questions a please feel free to ask. There will be better and worse midwives wherever you end up, it's luck of the draw really. I came across a few more brisk midwives but all were professional and competent and the vast majority were kind and caring as well.

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 20:32:26

Or more accurately women x

Sleeperandthespindle Sun 26-Feb-17 20:35:18

My DS is 4 but I had an amazing birth experience at Derriford (second baby).

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 20:41:36

Oh thank you lovely long weekend, I couldn't find it before. I'm sure I have all the questions, but I will give it time and thought x

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 20:44:36

After the birth if it's straight forward are they too busy for you I don't fancy wondering around after giving birth trying to find help as I hate bothering people any way. My OH should hopefully be on it but I think his approach (he doesn't mince words) would annoy them.

Firstimefreaked Sun 26-Feb-17 20:45:44

Has anyone else given birth recently at Derriford?

Blastandtroph Sun 26-Feb-17 20:45:48

Why don't you see if you can arrange a visit to the Unit OP? Given your history m, community midwives can usually organise this for you even if they aren't offered routinely.

tellmewhenitsover Sun 26-Feb-17 20:49:01

I had my 3rd baby 6 months ago in Derriford. I had rung to get advice after my waters broke and they wanted me in to check everything was ok. In the triage it was a little hectic as they seemed busy but I was seen to quickly and as my baby wasn't moving a lot I was kept in and sent to a labour room. I was never worried as I was kept well informed all the time, everyone was friendly and helpful. I couldn't fault them from beginning to end, it wasn't my easiest birth, and we went home the same night smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now