Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rib Pain?

(17 Posts)
NewMum26 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:13:08

I'm 30 weeks and for he last week or so I've been experiencing sore ribs mainly on the right side on my back where your bra strap goes across, yesterday I felt it on my left side too. It feels sore to touch like they are bruised and when I move certain ways, sigh really hard or twist my body it hurts like a sharp pain. A good nights sleep always makes it feel better first thing the morning but it comes in during the day again.
Any one else experience anything like this and have any suggestions in what it is? Is it just my ribs moving as everything gets tighter for space in there and baby gets bigger? I've noticed Baby is very fond of kicking up under my ribs the last few weeks.

dilapidated Sun 26-Feb-17 13:21:42

I'm 26 weeks and experiencing the same

The only thing that's helping get through to the end of the day is wearing those stretchy sleep bras but it's not great

JessieMillz25 Sun 26-Feb-17 13:50:10

I'm 31 weeks and it feel like baby is pushing my ribs apart at times 😭. I feel like she has no more room to grow into in the next few weeks without pulling my ribs apart completely.

Foggymist Sun 26-Feb-17 13:56:29

Go for a massage, deep tissue ones are what I favour, will loosen it up and ease the aches, it's probably just your ribs separating and the muscles in between hurting (delighful I know!).

JessieMillz25 Sun 26-Feb-17 14:01:30

Foggy, this is a really stupid question but how do they know massages when you are pregnant? Do you sit up?

missmayup Sun 26-Feb-17 14:04:15

Had this all the freakin' time with both of mine! Are you wearing underwire bras? I found it so much worse with those. (Know you're not meant to but come on, nursing bras suck! 😁)

NickyEds Sun 26-Feb-17 14:07:54

I had this. Dd was breech and I think that's what caused it.

LundyFastnetIrishSea Sun 26-Feb-17 14:12:30

It's called Rib Flare. And its awful!

Here's another thread about it a few days ago smile

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2861347-pain-in-ribs-in-back

Isadora2007 Sun 26-Feb-17 14:15:24

Costochondritis?

stripeylegs Sun 26-Feb-17 14:50:42

I had this with my 1st but she was transverse lie and it was horrendous! Only advice is take your bra off when possible and use pillows to put under your ribs at night. It disappeared for me as soon as she was born. HTHs smile

Foggymist Sun 26-Feb-17 18:23:42

Jessie I lay on my side when I couldn't lie on my front any more.

Bubbinsmakesthree Mon 27-Feb-17 04:47:57

Have had this with both my pregnancies. Seems to be much more common on the right hand side for some reason - maybe something to do with the way our internal organs get pushed up to make space for the baby.

Sadly I found not much relieved it other than gentle stretches that create 'space' round my chest (eg moving my arms over my head or leaning forward over a birthing ball/back of a chair to stretch my back out. Sitting at a desk or anything that compresses the available space made it worse.

I'm never sure whether the best thing about giving birth was getting a baby or the blessed relief of the rib pain going away!

WoopWoop200 Mon 27-Feb-17 07:53:32

I feel for you. It's awful. I had this with DS...He stuck his foot in and amongst my ribs and refused to move it no matter how much poking I did! He was born with an in turned foot because of it, but a few little exercises and it was gone.
Xx

NewMum26 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:13:44

Thanks for the replies ladies. Did yours seem to hurt more when you coughed or took a deep breathe in?

LundyFastnetIrishSea Mon 27-Feb-17 14:27:16

Yes! I had to brace myself for a cough. Sneezing was awful because I didn't get any warning before it to prepare grin

GemSingleton Mon 27-Feb-17 15:03:54

It's probably where your baby is laying. Towards the end of my pregnancy I just couldn't get comfortable as my ribs always felt really painful. My pain was at the bottom of my rib cage and felt like a numb tingling pain. I had it while I was in labour too. I asked the midwife she seemed to think they may have been mild contractions. Maybe braxton hicks?

marmitecheesetoast Mon 27-Feb-17 17:08:16

Me too! Bloody uncomfortable! I've found pregnancy yoga stretches to bring the most small amount of relief. Sitting at a desk all day definitely making it worse hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now