Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this normal?

(10 Posts)
leannejade Sat 25-Feb-17 17:11:10

I found out a couple of weeks ago I'm pregnant with my first - about 6 weeks now.
Ever since I've had period pains throughout the day. Most of the time it's bearable but sometimes it's very painful - it wakes me up in the night but the cramps disappear after 5-10 minutes.
People have said this is my uterus stretching but I've never really heard anyone else complain of this pain and it just seems to be going on so frequently that I'm finding it hard to match my fiancé's excitement about being pregnant sad

I have my first midwife appointment on Monday where I will ask about this but was hoping someone could ease my mind over the weekend.

Creatureofthenight Sat 25-Feb-17 17:19:42

I had lots of cramping in the early stage. Like you, I'd never heard of this symptom but from reading a few threads on here it seems fairly common. If it seems a lot more painful than period pain you might want to check with the midwife.

memyselfandaye Sat 25-Feb-17 17:23:05

Stretching pains. I had them, I kept checking I had'nt got my period because they were exactly like period pains.

leannejade Sat 25-Feb-17 17:23:36

Cause I was on the pill for so long with no period pains, I struggle to know if my pain is that bad. Once it's stopped my head says "wasn't that bad", like the worst would be a 7 on the pain scale. I think I'm just worried, too.
The pains have eased off and become less frequent and I've experienced no bleeding, so I guess I can only try to think positively smile

DoodleCat Sat 25-Feb-17 17:24:51

I had this too. Try not to worry. They can get quite bad though!

MrsK8541 Sat 25-Feb-17 19:51:22

I had bad cramping and was knicker checking every hour as I was convinced I was going to miscarry. Doctor said it is normal, but also said it could be caused by a UTI, so could be good to drop a sample in to be checked. I'm 11 weeks now and have seen baby and heard heartbeat, but still have pains! Lots of stretching happening I think!

confusedat23 Sat 25-Feb-17 19:55:36

Hey Op i have this currently and it is very much worth getting checked out! I am under care of EPU as they thought it may be ectopic but it actually seems to be due to having Free Fluid around my Ovary that has made it large and inflamed. I was sent to EPU by a doctor who said yeah you should have some pain but this should not be waking you in the middle of the night! Do not want to scare you but i know how horrible your pain is x

SquedgieBeckenheim Sat 25-Feb-17 20:02:11

I had a lot of cramping early on in first pregnancy, like period pain but worse. She's now 2 and a half!
I spoke to midwife but she wasn't concerned as I wasn't having any bleeding.
Always speak to midwife if in any doubt about anything.

leanandgreen Sat 25-Feb-17 20:04:47

I've experienced this too OP. I am now 8 weeks and they seem to have disappeared.

It's definitely unnerving but try and relax.

AllAboutCats83 Sun 26-Feb-17 19:45:37

Hey, I was about 3 weeks pregnant when I had this, in fact it was the first sign of pregnancy for me. It lasted about a week and really knocked me off my feet, had to curl up in a ball and wait it out several times. Bloody painful but short lived thankfully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now