Talk

Advanced search

Placenta previa bleeders, what happened next...?

(85 Posts)
blossombottom Sat 25-Feb-17 15:15:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UnicornDust17 Sat 25-Feb-17 20:13:07

Hello, sorry you're going through this. I had PP but bled from 22 weeks, was in and out of the hospital as the bleeds get progressively bigger, and a decision was made to be kept in from 26 weeks on bed rest. (solitary confinement I called it wink) and had my DS by emcs at 30+1... Following a very large bleed where I went a bit weird. Have your hospital bag packed and be ready to be whisked in if you bleed again. Fingers crossed it all settles down though. Happy to answer any specific questions though? The steroids really do help. X

blossombottom Sat 25-Feb-17 21:45:24

LuchiMangsho Sat 25-Feb-17 21:46:28

I bled almost weekly from 19 weeks to 26 weeks. Was on bed rest. Then the placenta moved out of the way- I went from Grade 4 to nothing and my waters broke (possibly simultaneously) and DS was born at 26+5. Is currently 33 weeks and doing quite well in scbu. You are at a decent gestation and your baby is steroid mature. Take a deep deep breath. Literally every day inside is a big deal. You have done amazingly well to get to this point. Till I was sitting in the NICU I hadn't appreciated this.
Basically figure out what triggers your bleeding and rest rest rest. In my case anything that would even gently stimulate the uterus triggered bleeding- including spicy food. Don't even scratch your nipples. I did once and bled 10 mins later. And as much as possible lie in bed, rest and do as little as you can. One of my bleeds was caused by dehydration btw so drink loads and loads and loads of water. Good luck.

LuchiMangsho Sat 25-Feb-17 21:48:35

Yes I bled in public but I wore a pad all the time after the first bleed. Each placenta is different. So they don't like making predictions.

UnicornDust17 Sat 25-Feb-17 22:16:50

The consultants were actually honest with me, they said the bleeds would get bigger and if I had a major one then I'd need to be in hospital so they could act fast. I never bled in public as I was on bed rest at home and then in hospital for ages. And after every bleed I called the maternity unit emergency number and they made me go in for monoriting. Nearly all of my major bleeds were when they'd already admitted me and said I wasn't going home until baby arrived. Agree with what luchi says, try to rest up a much a possible, each day inside is a bonus. I found it such a tough thing to go through, and it was my first! How are you feeling?
Do you have supportive people around you? X

UnicornDust17 Sat 25-Feb-17 22:19:27

Congrats luchi, How's your little one doing? Must've have been so tiny? I hope he hasn't had too many complications? X

blossombottom Sat 25-Feb-17 22:38:26

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sat 25-Feb-17 22:44:54

If they send you home do rest up. I carried on working and was packing to move house and look back and think WTF was I doing!

It's an unpredictable condition. Nothing else might happen or you might bleed again. I got the impression they couldn't really predict it.
Pack your bags, carry notes with you if you go out. I put a sticker on mine explaining to call and say I had PP.

I had DS by emcs on the dot of 36 weeks. He's now 2 and doing fine but was scary at the time though.

All the best and rest loads

LuchiMangsho Sat 25-Feb-17 23:40:19

Yes, no complications we know of (he had a small brain bleed but they are par for the course in micro preemies and has resolved).
Yes carry your maternity notes everywhere.
Does your hospital have a NICU if you need to deliver a bit early? Find out where your nearest level III NICU is. That will give you peace of mind. Placenta previa bleeds are almost never dangerous to baby if you get to hospital- it is maternal health they worry about. So go in for every bleed no matter how tiny and trust in the process. If you were to deliver next Friday your baby's prognosis would generally be excellent. If you can stretch to 32 weeks they would be even better. So small steps. And REST.

madmoon Sun 26-Feb-17 08:55:58

I had placenta Previa with one of mine , I bleed at 34 large clots very heavy bleed I was taken in and had to stay in for a week till the bleeding settled then I was sent packing with steroid injections and a scheduled c-section date , I was told to take it easy , I went home and literally 3 days before my schedule date I bled again and I was taken in, more clots they decided they could preform an emergency c-section of which they did and my baby was fine albeit my placenta was failing at this stage , when they removed it , it was In pieces.

blossombottom Sun 26-Feb-17 12:50:00

LuchiMangsho Mon 27-Feb-17 12:05:59

Ok, good luck with stuff. If you do end up delivering early and I hope you don't do remember your baby is at an excellent gestation. If you have any other questions do feel free to PM me.

user1483387154 Mon 27-Feb-17 12:14:18

Mine happened at 18 weeks. Since then I havent had another bleed but have been told to come back in straight away if it does. I had IV drips for 2 days then tablets and injections for 2 days then went home with tablets for a further 2 weeks and bed rest.
Good luck with everything, make sure you have all your maternity notes whenever you leave the house.

dewdrop85 Tue 28-Feb-17 10:26:40

Hi OP

How are you doing?

I also have complete previa, I'm currently sat in hospital after a small bleed on Sunday night. I'm 29 weeks today and have been given steroids.

It's a worrying time but I've been very reassured by the doctors that bleeds are really common. They're expecting me to bleed again which is a scary thought. It's nice to read these posts from people who've been through a similar experience.

I worry more I think as I work on a neonatal unit and see premature babies on a daily basis. Hopefully our little ones will stay out a while longer.

All the best to you xxx

dewdrop85 Tue 28-Feb-17 10:30:02

*stay 'put' not stay out lol

blossombottom Tue 28-Feb-17 15:35:48

Chrisinthemorning Tue 28-Feb-17 15:41:46

I had bleeds at 23,26,30,31 and 35 weeks. Each time it was sudden, not a lot of blood and stopped fairly quickly.
DS was always fine. I was admitted for 1-2 nights each time then allowed home.
At 35 weeks I stayed in and DS was delivered by EMCS at 36+3.
Good luck flowers

Pinksun12 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:49:42

I had a major bleed at 32 weeks and had to stay in hospital until scheduled c section at 37 weeks. (I had a toddler at the time so they didn't trust me with the taking it easy part at home). There were a couple of minor bleeds in between but not as severe to have an EMCS. Good luck!

blossombottom Tue 28-Feb-17 16:08:55

dewdrop85 Tue 28-Feb-17 16:12:32

Hi blossombottom
I'm being discharged later on today as I've had no fresh red loss now for 24 hrs. My bleed wasn't huge, nothing compared to what yours sounded like. It was more when I wiped myself that it came away. There's been hardly anything in the pads but that's increased today but because it's now old and brown they're happy for me to go and just keep an eye on it.

They said it's common to have further bleeds once its happened once but it's very unpredictable so they've just said to take it easy. I'm not allowed back to work now which is a weight of my mind as I was struggling with the 12 hour days! Everybody's experiences are different and I'm sure you and your baby are in good hands smile

Take it easy and if you're at all worried just give the hospital a ring, they would much rather err on the side of caution and it be nothing to worry than you be sat worrying.

Will be thinking of you and hope all goes well! flowers

Pinksun12 Tue 28-Feb-17 16:12:40

Badly. It's not exactly a spa vacation is it. But from a medical point of view I have no complaints. I can't tell how big the bleed was, but I woke up in a pool of blood and was blue lighted to hospital but didn't need a transfusion.

LuchiMangsho Tue 28-Feb-17 16:15:04

In 7 weeks on 3 neonatal units we were the only one with PP. Pre eclampsia babies are a lot more common.

blossombottom Tue 28-Feb-17 22:45:05

blossombottom Tue 28-Feb-17 22:46:09

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now