Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Iron supplements - how long until you felt better?

(6 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Sat 25-Feb-17 09:36:51

I'm currently almost 15 weeks and having a horrible pregnancy. I won't go into all my issues but absolute exhaustion is the one that's currently killing me. I had my routine midwife appointment a few days ago and from my booking bloods my iron content is low: 109.

As of then I've been taking two Sachets of liquid iron a day (Spatone) and I'm praying it makes a difference.

How long did other see an improvement in their energy levels after starting iron supplements?

ColourfulOrangex Sat 25-Feb-17 09:58:04

Hi I took spatone too because the pregnancy has been horrendous since week 3...nearly 20 weeks now, I would say after about day 2 I felt a difference I hope you feel better soon flowers

harleysmammy Sat 25-Feb-17 11:57:45

My levels are, or were, 92 so very low. Im on iron 3 times a day and they have made literally no difference what so ever. My consultant said with the added tiredness that pregnancy already puts onto you, its unlikely that the iron will make a huge difference but the main thing is to get your iron levels up. Most people i know on iron though have said they did feel better after a while, everyone's different so it could take you no time at all or it could take a little longer. Every woman/pregnancy is different x

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Sat 25-Feb-17 12:05:48

Take it with water rather than fruit juice when pregnant. If you use fruit juice and you are susceptible to Gestational diabetes, it may rise your blood sugar levels over on the test. Avoid caffeine and milk because they prevent absorption of iron.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 25-Feb-17 12:11:02

I tend to take both my Sachets just before I go to bed with some orange squash. I know orange juice is supposedly the "ideal" fluid to drink with the Sachets but it makes me vomit so I figure orange squash is the next best thing grin

Funnyonion17 Sat 25-Feb-17 17:52:27

Two to three weeks but I was on ferrous gluconate, it's a decent strength.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now