Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flying in early pregnancy

(19 Posts)
unicorn24 Fri 24-Feb-17 12:30:39

I will be almost 9 weeks when i fly, the holiday was booked prior to finding out I was pregnant as it was not an planned pregnancy. Has anyone flown in the early stages?

FilthMonster Fri 24-Feb-17 12:35:40

It's just like flying when not pregnant. Are you anxious about it?

milkjetmum Fri 24-Feb-17 12:38:27

The only thing you need to do is look up the local pharmacy near your hotel so you can buy heartburn meds smile I had to do this in Spain at 10wks

Enjoy your holiday

Notanotherpawpatrol Fri 24-Feb-17 12:41:08

Yes, I was so anxious about it! I vary rarely flu but booked a trip to America, then fell pregnant!
I even phoned my midwife a week before and asked if it would be ok blush she told me to get a good pair of compression socks, move around on the plane and keep hydrated. I wore a not very stylish tracksuit, I just wanted to be able to sleep and relax, not be all uncomfortable. It was a 2 hour flight then an 11 hour flight though so quite a flight!

Notanotherpawpatrol Fri 24-Feb-17 12:48:00

Oh yes, look up heartburn medication and paracetomal (or take your own!) I had the worst headache when I landed and no one in america seemed to know what paracetomal was! They call it Tylenol over there!

StillaChocoholic Fri 24-Feb-17 12:55:30

I found out I was pregnant one week and flew to Japan the next week. It was bloody awful (sorry). I really struggled with the flights, the smell of the food made me feel really sick and it took me a while to recover from the flights. I do think I'd have struggled a little bit anyway as I don't think I can put it all down to being pregnant, but the pregnancy definitely made it worse.
Get some travel sickness bands just in case, they may help if you're inclined to get travel sickness. I'd also see if there's anything you can take just in case

Sparklyuggs Fri 24-Feb-17 13:26:43

I fly every week and did so from conceiving. Morning sickness is worse but the seabands help, along with other remedies. There's no danger to you or the baby (unless you fly all day everyday) but walk around and keep hydrated.

user1471433387 Fri 24-Feb-17 15:09:41

I flew 3 separate times in early stages of pregnancy and mine was planned although I didn't know I would be pregnant when I flew. I did a couple of short haul flights (2.5 hours) one at 6 weeks and one at 15 weeks and then I flew somewhere which took about 24 hours to get to consisting of three flights at about 10/11 weeks. It wasn't ideal but there is no danger to you or the baby! I wore compression socks for the longer haul flights. Make sure you have plenty of food with you. For me in the early stages eating helped with my nausea and some of the airport food was horrible/I had aversions to it/couldn't eat.

The worst thing was probably not being able to knock myself out with prescribed drugs/drink which I would normally do to conquer fear (and boredom). But at least I know I can fly now without any assistance!

I would definitely fly again in the future when I was pregnant.

mummabubs Sat 25-Feb-17 09:22:55

I flew out on honeymoon when I was 4 weeks pregnant (didn't know!), found out on last day of honeymoon and flew back 5 weeks pregnant. I had to have an early scan last week and good heartbeat, baby fine (now 8.5 weeks) so clearly hasn't been a problem for me! I've heard that it's literally just the last trimester to avoid flying as it can bring on labour in some cases, but there's no evidence that it increases miscarriage risk in first trimester. Enjoy your trip OP! 😊 xxx

unicorn24 Sat 25-Feb-17 09:42:16

Thanks everyone. I was just feeling a little anxious about it

I've booked myself in for a scan before I go for reassurance everything is ok then not long when I get back it will be my 12 weeks

X

Pineapple80 Sat 25-Feb-17 11:03:41

I went on a business trip (day) at 8 weeks and was fine. Amatil had morning sickness and hardest part was not drinking at my work function and I was a new starter!!

Pineapple80 Sat 25-Feb-17 11:04:20

*ignore Amatil and replace with I!

ememem84 Sat 25-Feb-17 11:07:31

I was meant to be flying next weekend. But I hate flying anyway and dh and I decided it was better for me not to go. It's long haul (26 hours).

Nothing medically stopping me going but my gp said I've made the right decision. I was concerned if anything was to go wrong I'd be so far away from home and family so that was another reason.

But if you're happy to do it go for it!

8DaysAWeek Sat 25-Feb-17 11:09:58

Yes I flew when I was 7/8 weeks pregnant. The flight was fine but then we needed a train from one city to the next and by the time we arrived at our accommodation I swiftly vomited in the toilet. It was a long day of travelling and I found it very tiring.

8DaysAWeek Sat 25-Feb-17 11:11:52

Woops posted too soon.

But I would do it again. Maybe just make the whole travelling day easier/shorter! I had an early scan too prior to travelling (though not for this reason) which was generally reassuring.

smile

INeedNewShoes Sat 25-Feb-17 11:13:09

I flew at 8 weeks for a holiday and everything still seems fine at 29 weeks. The holiday did me the world of good - a week's distraction from the long first trimester!

octonuddle Sat 25-Feb-17 13:44:55

Have flown both long haul and short haul throughout both pregnancies. In the early stages, the main trouble was the smell of the food as pp said..especially on early morning flights...yuck! Try and get an aisle seat in case you need to sprint for loo and take some bags with you just in case. I never needed them but was reassuring to know I had them in the event of a sudden need to vom!

BumpGoesBumpety Sat 25-Feb-17 13:50:40

Definitely get compression socks, pregnancy thickens blood and so increases chances of blood clots.

Mouse14 Sun 26-Feb-17 18:51:59

I've just got back from my third trip at 20 weeks and not had a problem with it. This last one was to Dubai and the only slight issue I had was needing to go to the toilet every 5 minutes! I asked for an aisle seat, explaining I was pregnant and they say me near the emergency exit in both flights which was fab for leg room! The lack of compulsory in flight G and T was rubbish and it just felt wrong turning it down.

Have a fab time! Enjoy while you can!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now