Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spa day when 6 weeks pregnant

(9 Posts)
PingusMistress Thu 23-Feb-17 12:15:15

I'm booked to go on a spa day with some girlfriends next week, when I will be 6 weeks pregnant. Being so early, I would prefer not to tell them. But I can't think of any other viable excuse to be avoiding the sauna, jacuzzi, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this?

Many thanks!

onemumtwocountries Thu 23-Feb-17 12:18:31

It's very tricky! You could say you've not been well/feeling faint/have low blood pressure and should avoid the sauna? Not sure about the jacuzzi though! And people might well twig anyway. You'll then have to avoid the inevitable glass of bubbly! I don't have any other suggestions, depending on how you're feeling it might just be best to pull out :-(

lightgreenglass Thu 23-Feb-17 12:21:04

My friend went on a spa day with some other friends and was wondering what to say, I told her to say that jacuzzis are germ cesspits and she didn't want to go in one. It's the kind of thing she would say so none batted an eyelid.

Heirhelp Thu 23-Feb-17 12:21:29

With my first pregnancy I decided not tell anyone until after my scan. I had a miscarriage and I told my friends then because I needed their support. If they are close friends I would just tell them now.

anotherBadAvatar Thu 23-Feb-17 14:45:14

Why don't you book yourself a treatment instead - like get manicure/pedicure/hair and then claim you don't want to ruin it by getting wet?

Regarding prosecco, best to just accept a glass and pretend to drink it. Have a glass of water on the side, and ditch the prosecco when no one is looking. Honestly, that's far better than pretending you're on antibiotics, which is basically code for "Look, I'm pregnant".

PingusMistress Thu 23-Feb-17 17:12:37

Thanks for the tips! Trying to book an early hair/makeup session could be a good plan. They are good friends but I don't see them very often, so I'd rather not tell - I've had an MC before and "untelling " people was really awful. But if someone guesses it isn't the end of the world!

PolarBearGoingSomewhere Thu 23-Feb-17 17:19:02

My friend avoided the jacuzzi on a spa day when she must've been 6 weeks or so. We all knew she was ttc (had miscarriage previously) so it was obvious to us - we'd have never dreamt of saying anything though. Your friends are probably similarly lovely and won't put you on the spot. The spa themselves were very discreet and if they had altered her treatments at all we didn't know.

Congratulations on your lovely news.

Teakind Thu 23-Feb-17 17:42:47

Are the jacuzzi or sauna next to the pool? My friend was about 8 weeks pregnant when we went to the spa (we didn't know) and none of us noticed. She went in to the sauna with us and immediately said she didn't like the heat so she just chilled out in the pool all afternoon.

Mrscarrington Thu 23-Feb-17 17:51:26

Hi
Congrats!
Just so you know, some ask you fill out a form at the beginning and one of the questions maybe 'are you, or think you maybe pregnant'. If you say yes, they may not carry out some treatments - like a back massage- so best opting for a facial. I went to one in my first trimester, they had a 'pregnancy trained' therapist there who did a nice pregnancy massage- but some won't touch you in your first tri for things like massage. So just think about what you want to say in your form, and if you don't want to say you're preggers, opt for a facial, pedicure etc!
Have a lovely time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now