Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Movement counts and hiccups

(6 Posts)
Vida32 Wed 22-Feb-17 21:16:40

I'm 29 weeks and I'm really struggling with the whole keeping track of movements thing. I have the kicks count app and I've read up on all the information. I'm starting to get a sense of a pattern.

What I don't understand is that even though everywhere says there is no set number of kicks you should feel there must surely be a general sense of what counts as a very active or not so active baby. What if your baby is not very active and that indicates a problem with them from the very start (i.e. there's no change in pattern, it's just always low, consistently, every day)? How would you know?

I'm only getting about 30 kicks a day into my count. I know I'm missing a few here and there when I'm busy but how do I know if that's 'enough'? Does it matter at all how many you get as long as the pattern and amount is reasonably consistent?

I'm also feeling hiccups a couple of times a day now, for a few minutes. Sometimes 3 times. I read they can occasionally be a sign of fetal distress. Is that too many times each day? Again, how do you know?

arbrighton Wed 22-Feb-17 21:28:45

Mum says I had hiccups a lot when she was carrying me. Don't think there were any problems and i'm now 35...

As for kicks etc, they're concerned with changes to the pattern for your baby or if movement seems to stop entirely.,Not just number of kicks.

Vida32 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:20:58

Thanks arbrighton. You said it's not 'just' the no. of kicks, which suggests that the total number might be a factor alongside others? I guess that's what I'm wondering about. Is it?

If at my next MW appointment I say I've been getting 'x' many a day, no change in pattern, would she ever say 'that's not enough, you should be feeling more kicks than that at this stage?'

Ponocky Thu 23-Feb-17 14:46:21

They advise you to count the kicks initially to help you personally to establish what is 'normal' for your baby. By counting them you get a rough sense of when baby is active throughout the day. There are no set number of kicks that you should feel though as every baby is different.

I am currently 34 weeks pregnant but had a bit of a scare at 29 weeks. My baby is like a samba dancer during carnival and I average 150 movements a day! Friends with babies tell me that's way more than they ever had but it's normal for me. No problems. I've noticed he tends to spend 1-2 hours dancing and then 2 hours sleeping. This goes on all day! One Friday morning I woke at 7am and by 10am I had only felt 5 kicks. This, for me, was not normal so I phoned the day unit and went in for monitoring. Baby was fine but had changed position and was just having a lazy morning (and gave me a heart attack in the process!). It was better to be safe than sorry though.

I no longer keep count of the kicks or movements because I know his routine. You will get to learn your baby's too. If you ever sense the movements dwindling or stopping altogether then it's good to get checked out.

Also, my midwife told me that babies get hiccups because they're practicing breathing, so it's a good sign! Mine gets them at least twice a day smile

123happymummy Thu 23-Feb-17 22:35:32

Im 28 weeks pregnant with baby#2 & tbh my baby can kick loads 1 day I mean utter madness then not so much the next. I think ur right tho it does just depend on how active you are. On my 1st lo i used 2 work 12 hr shifts & finish around midnight I wouldnt feel him all day then I would finish work settle down & he would go nuts then hehe. I think all babies differ. Its probably more about establishing a pattern but if your concerned always best to seek advice.

drinkyourmilk Thu 23-Feb-17 22:54:02

I've an anterior placenta- so don't actually feel my baby much. For me it's usual to feel them between 6-8 times a day. I'm now 35 (ish) weeks so they are now no longer kick, but big tummy jiggling changes of position.
So compared to most people my baby is very inactive! (Except they move far more - just don't feel it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now