Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and pierced - When to remove a belly bar?

(18 Posts)
StipyTiger Wed 22-Feb-17 16:52:48

I am currently just under 10wks and have a navel piercing. I am wondering when I should take it out? I've had the piercing around 19yrs and this is my first pregnancy. I'm not really showing yet but wondering how long I can wait. TIA!

MushroomTree Wed 22-Feb-17 16:55:07

I'm 31 weeks and mine is still in. I've got a fair sized bump now and I'm planning on waiting until it's uncomfortable to take it out.

First baby for me too and I'm not ready to wave goodbye to my carefree days just yet and take it out! grin

LilithTheKitty Wed 22-Feb-17 16:56:20

You can get long, flexible bars that you can keep in throughout your pregnancy. I didn't know about them when I was pregnant so I took mine out when my bump had got big enough that the bar was looking a bit tight.

StipyTiger Wed 22-Feb-17 17:32:44

Ooh, the extra long bar sounds a good option. Will look at them. I'm sure the midwife will tell me what she thinks too!

Foggymist Wed 22-Feb-17 17:44:04

I took mine out at about 30 weeks because it kept catching on my over bump jeans, I put it back in when he was a few months old.

Scrumptiousbears Wed 22-Feb-17 17:56:55

I can't remember when I took mine out but it stayed "pierced" until I had my baby.

AudreyBradshaw Wed 22-Feb-17 19:58:34

I had to take mine out at about 27 weeks (because my Mum made me, I'm not kidding, I'm 30, she made me take my tongue bar out too)

Once I got to about 32 weeks and my belly button started stretching and going flatter it got a bit tender, then it ripped, and was really sore, itchy and uncomfortable. Moisturising didn't help me but my friends was fine. I've got rubbish skin for stretching /marking though.

HoneyDragon Wed 22-Feb-17 20:00:24

I took mine out at the point in pregnancy where dh was paranoid it was going to ping out and embed itself in his skull.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 22-Feb-17 20:20:18

I took mine out when it was uncomfortable. I think the hole is still there 3 years later.

OutComeTheWolves Wed 22-Feb-17 20:40:15

That's really interesting - I was told to take mine out at my 12 week scan. They said it could damage the machine!

beargrass Wed 22-Feb-17 20:45:41

Can't remember when but took mine out when it became uncomfortable. You'll know if/when that happens. I was slightly relived to have to take it out as I work in a pretty conservative environment and it was becoming more and more obvious. I was OK with telling the Pregnancy Police to do one but couldn't really face it over that particular issue!

StipyTiger Wed 22-Feb-17 20:55:28

Why remove the tongue bar Audrey? Not sure what harm that would do, or did your mother not like it anyway?

showmeislands Wed 22-Feb-17 20:57:38

I took mine out at about 20 weeks. Wish I would've taken it out earlier as it had really stretched! It's like a slit now rather than a tiny hole and kind of discoloured, like a stretch mark (though I don't have any others). I'm now 34 weeks and it looks the same - pretty weird to be honest! Hoping it will go back to normal post-birth.

Obviously I have no way of knowing if it would've been better taking it out sooner, but it probably couldn't have looked worse!

Helbelle75 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:19:37

I put a plastic bar in about 16 weeks, but took it out completely at 25 weeks as it was really uncomfortable. My belly button has really popped out. The hole's still there, so hopefully I'll be able to pop it back in.

AudreyBradshaw Wed 22-Feb-17 23:33:48

She hated it stipy it was a figurative thorn on her side from the minute she realised I had one, which in fairness, took about a year grin

StipyTiger Thu 23-Feb-17 00:09:26

Audrey that's so funny! My parents never realised I had a tattoo until it was about 6 years old. They hate the nose piercing and i'm not sure if they even know I've my navel pierced. I had it pierced in 1999! I've had a look on amazon and they've got lots of 'pregnancy' bars so I've taken a punt on one of them.

MrsJW15 Thu 23-Feb-17 09:51:49

I'm 29 weeks and still wearing mine. I put a pregnancy bar in fairly early on which is good because it's flexible so I can bend it into a curve etc. But it's starting to get uncomfortable and I'm thinking about taking it out soon.

Midwives etc have been fine with it - no one's even asked.

riddles26 Thu 23-Feb-17 17:58:20

I kept it in until it got uncomfortable (around 24 weeks) and then wore nothing until after she was born. They did ask me to remove it for scans as it could damage the scanner.
I put it back in when she was 10 days old and had no issues

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now