Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy related sickness absence

(7 Posts)
chelle85 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:54:27

What counts?

I have never suffered from headaches prior to being pregnant but have started having them intermittently. However the last 3 days I have had a blinding headache that won't shift and paracetamol do nothing to help. The tube lighting at work and being at a computer all day is really exacerbating this and I'm not sure I can cope with it much longer. Just need to lie in a dark room with my eyes closed as it is the only thing that eases it.

I'm also worried as rhe last two days I have also had brown spotting and just feel like I maybe need to rest up.

Would this count as pregnancy related for absence purposes? I ask because my employer has recently moved to a pretty strict attendance policy and despite only having had 3 days off in 8 years if I have more than another 4 days off this year I would be facing a written warning unless it was deemed pregnancy related

helpmebuystuff Wed 22-Feb-17 08:56:38

How many weeks are you as headaches can be a sign of pre eclampsia so do get checked out. I'd get checked out for the sporting anyway.

I believe it would count as pregnancy related absence yes.

chelle85 Wed 22-Feb-17 10:29:19

I'm only 15 weeks. Not seen anything about pre eclampsia this early? My midwife hasn't even mentioned it to me yet. From Dr Google it seems headaches in early pregnancy can be caused by increased blood flow. The spotting is a bit of a concern but I had a bright red bleed about 3.5 weeks ago and all was fine so not sure if this is just some old blood from that bleed.

I have rang EPU and waiting for a nurse to call me back just in case

vfoster Wed 22-Feb-17 10:37:34

I've had headaches for the last few weeks. I called about 17 weeks and they had me in to be checked over. They think it's migraines related to pregnancy.
I haven't had any time off with them but I had a horrific cold last month and it led to me vomiting and running a high temperature. I took two days off and on my return I told them it was terrible morning sickness. It may not have been related to pregnancy but think the cold was exacerbated because I'm pregnant. Sounds like you need a rest, tell them it's pregnancy related!

HN42 Wed 22-Feb-17 18:21:41

I think it would be fair enough to count it as pregnancy related. I took a day off sick at 6 weeks and my boss let me have it as pregnancy related as I was suffering with insomnia which was caused by being pregnant and I just felt too exhausted to go into work again because pregnancy makes you feel super tired. My boss has only really told me I can't get away with a vomiting bug or a cold as pregnancy related sickness as they are viral, while headaches could well be caused by pregnancy - I certainly suffer more with them now, I wake up with one nearly every day which didn't happen before pregnancy.

Laura2507 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:45:23

OP do work know you are pregnant? It would count as pregnancy related but only if they know you are pregnant.
They also need to do a risk assessment and look at what adjustments they can make to lighting and screen work in your area. In our office they have taken out some bulbs to reduce the intensity of light (I think it was for a migraine sufferer)
Even if something is not obviously pregnancy related, like a cold virus, our immune systems are lower so we are more likely to catch viruses. I think once an employer had been informed there is it much they can do about sickness. They wouldn't want to risk a discrimination claim. Sick pay will stay as your companies policy. HTH x

MabelTheCow Wed 22-Feb-17 20:00:04

The pregnancy related bit is surely that you can't take anything stronger than paracetamol to calm a migraine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now