Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Normal for 3 week old?

(13 Posts)
user1465146157 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:21:11

Hello
Are the following things normal?

My dd keeps sicking up her milk - how usual is this every time she eats?

She passes wind a lot quite loudly but doesn't seem to be in any pain from this.

She has a blocked nose in the night but fine in the day. Family are saying I'm not putting enough layers on her but I don't want her to get too hot so am using one item of clothing plus blankets

She gets hiccups at least twice a day

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:24:52

Sicking up her milk depending if there is no logical reason for it, could be reflux, but this is usually painful for them so you should be able to tell if she is in discomfort.

Do you sit her up for burping quickly at the end of a feed? Or is she sicking whilst lying down? Try feeding her more upright for starters.. Is she BF or FF?

Loud farts and burps are part of baby's cuteness ;)

What is the temperature in her room? Remember its only Feb... On face value would agree that she needs at least one more layer on, remember tiny babies cant regulate their temperatures, so whilst you're right not to want her to overheat, it sounds like she is chilly. xxx

Cel982 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:26:09

That all sounds really normal. Lots of babies bring up milk after every feed - it's only a problem if it's projectile vomiting, they seem to be in pain or aren't gaining weight. Hiccups are very common too - DD had them every day for the first few months. And I wouldn't worry about the wind as long as it's not bothering her.

IME older people are obsessed with babies being warm enough - but we know now that a slightly cooler room and fewer layers is safer for them, so stick to your guns. And congratulations!

HandbagFan Wed 22-Feb-17 08:26:56

My DS was born last February and at night would have been in a vest, bodysuit and a blanket over him in our room that doesn't really dip below 17 degrees. Once he was big enough he was in the same two layers but with a 2.5 tog sleeping bag.

HandbagFan Wed 22-Feb-17 08:27:30

Oh and he would have started with a little hat on but it would have come off after 5 minutes!

Jenniferb21 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:32:10

Hi congrats on your new arrival.

I wouldn't recommend burping baby every 2-3 onz or if breastfed when you change side. This will help massively. You could also try different burping positions if she's isn't burping after feeds (do a quick google)

You need a room thermometer some baby monitors have these (if you have one at this stage) if below 20 degrees I'd say definitely a vest and babygrow as a minimum with blanket or sleeping bag.

My baby is 9 months and wears a long sleeve vest, baby grow and 2 tog sleeping bag at the moment in our room which is usually 20 degrees.

Feel the back of her neck or tummy that's a good indicator if she's cold or too hot (rather than hands or feet)

X x

Jenniferb21 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:32:44

Sorry my first sentence should've said 'I would reccommend burping baby every 2-3 onz'

NickyEds Wed 22-Feb-17 08:39:53

All normal.

-The spitting up of milk- posseting a small amount of milk is normal, I'd worry a little if your baby wasn't gaining weight.
-Noisy wind- yep they burp and fart like little troopers!
-Blocked nose at night- normal. They have tiny nasal passages. Sleeping with my babies was like sleeping in a farmyard!
- Not enough bedding? What you're doing sounds fine, they let you know if they're too cold. Feel down the back of the naked and the baby should feel warm but not clammy.

Congratulations! I'm completely jealous of hearing snuffly little new born noises!

NickyEds Wed 22-Feb-17 08:40:47

Back of the neck not naked blush

BreatheDeep Wed 22-Feb-17 08:47:46

All sounds fine to me. I think all babies are different for how many layers they need at night. My first slept in vest, babygrow and 2.5 tog sleeping bag and was comfortable. My second gets too hot in that and we use a 1 tog bag instead and he's comfortable. Same temperature room.

AmyB1986 Wed 22-Feb-17 18:04:59

Hi, my dd2 was the same. She used to vomit a lot. It really depends how much of her feed she vomits back.
My daughter would vomit her whole feed back. Breast feeding made it difficult to compensate for her vomiting. She was diagnosed with reflux but very late on when they discovered the acid had actually damaged her throat. I had been back and forth to the Drs with her screaming and going right red to be told she had allergies and every thing under the sun apart from reflux.
She was so much better after treatment.
Worth getting this checked out by your gp or health visitor. It may just be she's over fed which a lot of babies do then they vomit back the bit their tiny stomach can't hold

user1465146157 Sat 25-Feb-17 15:00:11

Thanks all for your posts really helpful and reassuring x

MrsZumbaDancer Sat 25-Feb-17 19:28:13

smelly wind and hiccups can be signs of silent reflux.ny little girl suffered with it for about 12 weeks. She possetted some milk but not loads. We used to burp every ounce, keep her upright 20 mins after weeks and prop her Moses basket/cot up. As she was ok in herself we didn't need any further help. She gained weight normally too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now