Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Possible cholestasis???

(22 Posts)
Rya2710 Wed 22-Feb-17 07:35:19

Just wondering if anyone's experienced the same, I'm 31 weeks and I have intense itching all over my legs so I spoke to my midwife and she told me to phone the hospital. I phoned them and they asked me to go down for blood tests. The itching is so bad my skin is bleeding from where I've scratched so much so they prescribed me some bath salts, cream and piriton. They did blood tests for cholestasis but said that the bloods were okay and I have to go back in two weeks. I'm so glad everything's okay but why am I so itchy!!!:-( starting to get very stressed out with all the itching:-( has anyone had a similar experience or know what I can do to soothe the itching? X

WorriedAndCrazy Wed 22-Feb-17 08:16:43

26 weeks here and the itching is driving me insane I haven't slept properly for about 2 weeks. I don't think it's cholestasis related but getting my bloods checked at 28 week appointment just in case. I had a bit of chafing blush the other week which then turned into dry skin so think that's the cause of my itching but now I'm itchy all over my legs, hips, bum, back and arms. Moisturising is helping a bit but once it comes to settling down for the night my skin is so itchy I'm almost in tears. For some reason it's worse when I lie on my side the only way I can get a bit of sleep is to lie on my back with my legs apart like the birth position hmm. Sorry no advice but man I had to vent after another sleepless night.

HubbleBubbles Wed 22-Feb-17 08:20:44

I had awful itching in pregnancy, bloods were fine. I had to take an anti-histamine- think midwife can tell you which is safe to take .

WorriedAndCrazy Wed 22-Feb-17 08:59:01

My midwife has told me to make a GP appointment but appointments take weeks at my surgery unless you phone first thing for am emergency app. Would a pharmacist be able to advise on antibiotics histamine do you know?

WorriedAndCrazy Wed 22-Feb-17 08:59:34

Anti-histamineblush

bobcat85 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:03:47

Not to worry you but I had itching throughout my pregnancy, had my bloods taken at 25 weeks and levels were fine. Then at 39 weeks had my bloods taken again as itching got incredibly uncomfortable, I was then diagnosed with cholestasis and induced the next day.

I'd definatly go back for blood tests if it continues as it can develop even if previous tests were fine.

Rya2710 Wed 22-Feb-17 21:24:40

I'm glad I'm not alone but sorry to hear that you're all itching too!! I've tried using the cream I was prescribed today, it's called balneum cream and I'm not getting on with it at all:-( it's made my legs come out in a horrid big rash and it feels like they're on fire, it's just made the problem worse:-( I just feel so unhappy in my body. I've literally had every horrible pregnancy symptom and constantly been in and out of hospital:-( I know it's amazing but it's also making me so miserable and feel like i just never get a break!!! Rant over hahah sorry xxx

WorriedAndCrazy Wed 22-Feb-17 21:53:53

Sorry to hear your having such a hard time OP. I'm the same, I had a MMC last year and am trying my hardest not to let the symptoms get to me as I'm so happy to be pregnant again. But seriously I'd welcome back the constant nausea and sickness, food aversions, heartburn etc over this itching. I'm actually having an itch free night so far (fingers crossed). Although I'm still having to lie on my back I have no idea why that stops it but it does. It's so uncomfortable lying like this and I'm loaded with the cold so no doubt another sleepless night. You're not the only miserable one if it's any consolation lol

Rya2710 Wed 22-Feb-17 21:59:37

So sorry to hear that :-( but so happy for you as well! Laying on my back helps too!! I'm currently layed on my back completely still in the hope the itching won't start tonight hahaha, I don't think I'd cope with a cold as well, more power to you!! Fingers crossed we both have at least one night with no itching! Xx

harleysmammy Wed 22-Feb-17 23:56:01

Like someone else said, i actually phoned the midwife today because of itching. I only had my bloods done yesterday so she said she'd get back to me to see if i had oc. She said my levels were fine but i have to go back in 2 weeks as you can have itching for weeks before levels actually go up. I thought she was having a laugh at first so i phoned my doctor and said surely if im itching this much, theres something already there and i dont need to wait 2 weeks but he said itching usually comes out before oc is detected. Im sure its nothing mind, itching is so common. My sister is pregnant but 2 weeks behind me (im 30 weeks) and she makes herself bleed on her arms and leaves scabs on her palms and top of her shoulders because she has such intense itching. She's had it with both babies and theres nothing wrong so try not to worry x

SuckingEggs Thu 23-Feb-17 00:02:54

I had OC. I was blotchy in places as the toxins were so high. Thankfully it was picked up at about 33 weeks. I had to take certain medication and go in as an outpatient for frequent blood tests and to monitor baby's heartbeat. I had DC 2.5 weeks early as there is a higher risk of stillbirth and of the mum having clotting issues. There are non-OC conditions that are easily helped with antihistamines but you absolutely must get checked - and more than once if necessary.

vfoster Thu 23-Feb-17 13:28:53

I had some itching the last few weeks and I found oat baths really relieving. If I put anything on it hurt as I'd scratched but the oat bath was soothing.
I put a load of organic oats in a muslin cloth and tied it round the tap then ran the bath through it. The water relived the itching massively!

octonuddle Thu 23-Feb-17 14:06:49

I had OC with first pregnancy. Itching was all over but particularly pronounced on soles of feet and palms of hands and scratching gave no relief...it was almost like the itch was under the skin....so infuriating! I also had other symptoms... very pale poo and dark brown wee (sorry!). I also had lots of people tell me how well I looked and asking if I'd been on holiday....turned out I was jaundiced! Was put on meds and induced at 37 weeks. No lasting issues for me or baby thankfully. Am 17 weeks pregnant with DC2 and been told to expect it again sad. Good luck OP...hope you find a cure. If it is OC, they will have seen it loads and can help you with meds. I sympathise with the chronic itching...it was awful! Hang in there!

octonuddle Thu 23-Feb-17 14:14:05

Oh and Aqueous cream helped a little bit...I had to get it prescribed though. It was more the cooling effect which was a distraction from the itching (for a few minutes) rather than any healing property IYSWIM but to be honest I was desperate for some relief so used it gladly.

Vebrithien Thu 23-Feb-17 14:59:46

My itching started on a Friday, and I'd scratched my chest and bump to bleeding by the Monday. The midwife sent me to the day assessment unit that afternoon for blood tests. On the Tuesday, I got a phone call from the hospital to say that the bile salts level was incredibly high, and I had to go on to be induced that evening. DD was born on the Thursday afternoon. The itches lasted for about 4 weeks postpartum, especially at night when you can get the sweats. Cool baths and antihistamines helped, the Balium was pants!! Certainly, keeping cooler helped.

Sunshinegirl82 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:11:59

If you have a rash it could be PUPPS? I had it and nearly scratched myself mad! It's harmless though. I'd definitely have the blood tests though just in case.

Dangermouse80 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:10:54

Make sure you get the follow up bloods as it might show up in a few weeks. Found ice blocks to be the best thing for the itching, totally numbs it.

Rya2710 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:32:27

Thank you for all your lovely messages so glad I'm not alone with the itching! I was meant to see my midwife today and was planning on talking to her about it but she left me waiting in reception for nearly two hours and I had to leave before I could see her!!(happens at nearly every appointment) got the appointment on Wednesday now so hopefully then she'll be able to help! Xxxx

octonuddle Fri 24-Feb-17 18:39:41

My goodness that's awful rya! Can you get an emergency appointment with gp? Thats terrible treatment from your midwife. Are you still itching? Any other symptoms?

Rya2710 Fri 24-Feb-17 23:28:15

Tell me about it:-( my midwife constantly lets me down and cancels appointments! Still itching really badly on my legs and it's now started all across my chest, the rash has gone but I'm not applying the cream that burnt my skin anymore, just aqeous cream which is cooling it down loads xxxxx

WorriedAndCrazy Sat 25-Feb-17 00:20:52

I've had a couple of itch free nights but it's started back up tonight. My inner thighs are bright read got some serious chub rub going on blush what was the cream that burnt your skin? I found aqueous cream made my skin feel like it was burning and usually I find that stuff amazing.

frenchknitting Sat 25-Feb-17 09:34:49

Just wanted to recommend the ICP Support group ( ICP is another name for OC). They have a website and a Facebook group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now