Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

10 weeks pregnant and sick from cold/flu

(9 Posts)
Zoejj77 Tue 21-Feb-17 23:30:23

Hi all

My pregnancy symptoms seem to have paled in comparison to this 'virus' I have managed to pick up. Problem is I can't shake this awful cough. I've just laid down (well I've been sitting upright in bed for nearly an uncomfortable week) and I cough so much I'm sick. This has been happening for 3 days now, I thought today as it didn't happen I was getting better but I don't think I can return to work yet with this uncontrollable cough I have going on. Plus it isn't pleasant for others. Any suggestions on how to rid myself as my doctor didn't seem too worried on the phone as I'm not running a temperature? Thank you x

sherbertlemon17 Wed 22-Feb-17 07:30:58

Hi Zoe, unfortunately there's not too much you can do. I've been constantly poorly with one cold and cough after another since I got my bfp and also now 10 weeks. I asked the midwife at my booking in appointment and she suggested honey and lemon hmm If you're like me, it won't touch the sides. They also suggested a humidifier at night time.

I have heard that Vix vapour rub is meant to be good at soothing coughs too. Not tried it though tbh.

I've also found if you've got a dry thickly cough, sucking on hard boiled sweets has helped a bit to keep my throat lubricated.

Hope you feel better soon flowers

Bobowhite Wed 22-Feb-17 07:38:44

Oh I feel your pain, I'm 25 weeks and just on my 6th cold/cough since September and I feel horrendous. There's nothing to do but rest when I can, drink lots, eat well and it's OK to use Buttercup syrup if your cough or congestion gets really horrid. And paracetamol of course! But rest is really important, take it where and when you can!

Snowflakes1122 Wed 22-Feb-17 10:23:57

I tend to have a weak chest and get chest infections etc.

When I feel a cold coming on, I have manuka honey with half a lemon Squeezed in with hot water.

I'm pretty sure raw onion and garlic help too, but obviously prepare for bad breath. Works for me though.

I also cut down the dairy, as it seems to make the phlegm worse. Eat soups etc.

TileTileTile Wed 22-Feb-17 16:51:55

Is your cough due to mucus running down your throat? I had a cold in v early pregnancy that led to a horrid cough, every time I lay down I was coughing so much I was vomiting and it was mucus irritating my throat that was running down the back of my nose/throat.

I went to doc and they said I couldn't take anything, same with male pharmacist, male doc and pharmacist were so dismissive. I then went to another pharmacy and was explaining to the lady pharmacist that I was SO TIRED from not sleeping due to awful cough making me vomit, hadn't slept in days etc. She recommended this:

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/neilmed-adult-sinus-rinse-starter-kit-10-sachets

OMG it was so amazing, flushed out my sinuses so there was nothing to run down my throat, so nothing to make me cough and I got an amazing nights sleep for the first time in ages gringringrin

TileTileTile Wed 22-Feb-17 16:53:28

Also that pharmacist said that the Boots version of Vicks First Defence is safe in pregnancy (says so on box) and can be taken every day to prevent future colds. It works a charm!

She was a very helpful lady.

HN42 Wed 22-Feb-17 18:04:23

If your throat is sore, I know this is gross, but gargle warm salt water a couple of times a day, salt is a natural anti-inflammatory and antiseptic so I would I would recommend it. I also have a saline nasal spray for blocked nose during pregnancy which again works the same way and is as effective at helping calm swelling in your nose and sinuses.

My Gran also once told me that chocolate is meant to be good for a sore throat, I think its more a case of sugary stuff like honey and melted chocolate just line your throat for a bit and make it feel better temporarily though.

Zoejj77 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:09:31

Thank you all so much for your messages yes @tiletiletile it is the mucus that is trapping in my throat so I can't breathe through nose or throat and I be sick. Hope I have this pharmacy near me I will try it asap

TileTileTile Wed 22-Feb-17 19:20:08

They also sell it in boots and on amazon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now