Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No sandwiches while pregnant

(20 Posts)
SandyGEE12 Tue 21-Feb-17 22:06:52

I didn't realise we are not allowed to have chilled sandwiches or ham while pregnant. https://twitter.com/thismorning/status/834106662805975041?s=08

SprogletsMum Tue 21-Feb-17 22:08:24

I've not heard about this but when I was at mau the other week the gave me a chilled ham sandwich so it can't be that dangerous.

MrsDustyBusty Tue 21-Feb-17 22:08:27

Of course you are allowed. It may not be advisable, but you're an adult, it's your decision.

FirstSeemItThenBeIt Tue 21-Feb-17 22:08:31

I ate a Tesco prawn mayo sandwich every single day of my pregnancies! I think you need to just make your own decisions about what you're prepared to eat. Nobody can say you're not allowed something.

SandyGEE12 Tue 21-Feb-17 23:06:23

Sorry, I was typing quickly, meant to say advised against. Aparently Listeria us more dangerous than previously thought to pregnancy http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/listeriosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx Also sorry, my app always posts twice, so this is a duplicate thread.

SandyGEE12 Tue 21-Feb-17 23:06:26

Sorry, I was typing quickly, meant to say advised against. Aparently Listeria us more dangerous than previously thought to pregnancy http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/listeriosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx Also sorry, my app always posts twice, so this is a duplicate thread.

sweetchilli77 Tue 21-Feb-17 23:21:03

this was discussed on "This Morning" today....it was basically talking about listeria and how it has a serious effect on early pregnancy etc. It then went on about deli meats even in pre packed sandwiches, and even as far as all proved ready made meals.....

When i heard this i knew it would start a huge panic....im 31 weeks and have eaten pre packed sandwiches even deli meats. sad

I daren't look at the NHS list now....

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Tue 21-Feb-17 23:21:22

XD what a load of balls! 😂 the NHS hospital I was at pre birth with DD2 had cheese sandwiches on offer every day for lunch, in fact the NHS hospital with DD1 had a fridge with several types of chilled sandwiches in the fridge for women to take if they were hungry at times other than meal times. From the nhs website:
Pre-packed meat is safe to eat if you're pregnant
Pre-packed meats such as ham and corned beef are safe to eat in pregnancy. Some websites based in other countries may suggest that you avoid pre-packed meats when pregnant, but this is not the advice in the UK

Cheeses to avoid in pregnancy
Soft cheeses with white rinds
Soft blue cheeses
Cheeses that are safe to eat in pregnancy
All hard cheeses are safe in pregnancy
•cottage cheese
•mozzarella
•feta
•cream cheese
•paneer
•ricotta
•halloumi
•goats' cheese
•processed cheeses, such as cheese spreads

The advice RE meats is that there are several types of cured meat eg, Parma ham and chorizo, that are actually cured but not cooked and could be dangerous, as could some soft cheeses (although these are thought to be fine if cooked fully and piping hot) and unpasteurized milk/dairy products. Pate is another one that could be dangerous.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Tue 21-Feb-17 23:26:39

Sweet chilli your little one will be fine, this is scare mongering of almost daily fail quality! Please don't worry I ate lots of (cooked) deli hams and pre-packed sandwiches while I was pregnant due quite often to necessity (worked ft till 36 weeks had her at 37) and my little one is fine. i followed the above advice (DD2 is 4 months old). Listeria is dangerous, but avoiding it is just a case of being sensible.

Congrats on your little one! grin

Want2bSupermum Tue 21-Feb-17 23:30:02

This is a US website but I think it does a good job of explaining the issues and what to do in terms of prevention. My obn was clear that the body will cope with the infection by aborting the baby which is why she wanted me to take precautions.

You are fine to eat deli meat if you cook it until it is steaming hot. My obn was more worried about me getting sick from bags of prewashed salad. She told me to avoid raw spinach as she had lots of pregnant women getting sick from it over her career (salmonella and listeria are common from spinach apparently).

Want2bSupermum Tue 21-Feb-17 23:31:32

love Those cheese you have listed are all an issue if they are made with unpasteurised milk. I realized this late in my third pregnancy and gorged myself on pasteurized brie at the very end!

Zampa Tue 21-Feb-17 23:33:08

I recommend reading Expecting Better by Emily Oster. She'll reassure you about all sorts of things, including deli meat.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Tue 21-Feb-17 23:40:03

Supermum, you are very correct sorry I forgot to mention that blush I ate a lot of cream cheese and mozzarella while I was pregnant aswell as cheddar (had on the labels pasteurized). Also forgot to say the blue and unpasteurized cheeses are said to be fine on the provision that they are in something and cooked fully until piping hot!

harleysmammy Tue 21-Feb-17 23:59:09

I hope this isnt true, i was in mau the other day and they gave me ham and cheese sandwich from the canteen chiller! They also gave me black coffee which they also tell you to avoid because of the caffeine! Scare mongering is all it is lovely xx

kikibo Wed 22-Feb-17 13:04:57

Wow, and there's me fancying chorizo. As well as Serano ham. I'm sure they must eat those in Spain...

I think they'd better put pregnant women on a vitamin drip these days. Keep them from eating anything. Could be dangerous, you know.

kel1234 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:13:17

Oh dear, I had ham. I was fine

fourcorneredcircle Wed 22-Feb-17 14:12:01

NHS UK advice is that;

All hard and processed cheeses, including Stilton and all types of hard cheese made with unpasteurised milk are fine to eat.

However, even pasteurised brie and other similar soft cheeses still are not.

(Both according to NHS website www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#cheese)

These are links to U.K. cases of listeriosis from 2006-2015 www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/584055/Listeria_2016_Data_gtw.pdf and this government publication says there are about 350 toxoplasmosis infections accross the UK each year www.gov.uk/guidance/toxoplasmosis

On balance there are 500,000 cases of food poisoning caused by known pathogens every year in the U.K. The most prevalent of which is Campylobacter at 280,000. (https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2014/6097/foodpoisoning) Campylobacter is mostly caused by infected, undercooked or poorly cooked meat. Campylobacter can cause miscarriage but no one tells pregnant women they should go vegetarian for 40 weeks!

I suppose what I'm getting at is... cook your food well, buy from reputable sources and take the advice with a pinch of salt.

tucks in to M&S prawn sandwich

BreatheDeep Wed 22-Feb-17 14:43:46

Listeriosis has always been considered dangerous in pregnancy. It can cause miscarriage and still birth unfortunately. However I ate ham during my pregnancies occasionally. I think the risk is low in packaged and sealed ham. I was more reluctant to eat it from a deli counter.

PickleSarnie Wed 22-Feb-17 19:22:27

There are less than 200 cases of listeria in the UK every year. There are about 64 million people in this country.

That puts the risk of getting listeria at 0.000003%

It's entirely up to you obviously but I'd take my chances with a sandwich. Just don't eat it whilst crossing the road!

Birdsbeesandtrees Wed 22-Feb-17 19:26:35

It's been the advice for years in the US

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now