Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flu Jab

(18 Posts)
MrsK8541 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:10:55

I'm 10+2 today and went for my flu jab this morning. All fine, didn't hurt and carried on as normal. Fast forward 6 hours and I feel awful, beyond the usual morning sickness and pregnancy symptoms I'm used to. I haven't got a fever but I'm exhausted, achey and just feeling really under the weather. Has anyone else experienced this as a reaction to the vaccine, or am I just coming down with something else?

Chinnygirl Tue 21-Feb-17 17:13:11

You could be coming down with something. A vaccine does temporary lower your immune system so it might be that.

I'm surprised that they gave you the flu jab though. In the Netherlands they don't give it during the first trimester. I'm not sure why though.

MrsK8541 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:19:30

Midwife recommended I have it as I work in a school. Slightly concerned now that it's going to do some damage, I've already had 2 miscarriages and don't know how I'd cope if this one fails.

Jellybabie3 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:40:06

Oh geez. Ive literally just had mine sad im 9+3

MrsK8541 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:53:26

jelly I'm sure if it was a big 'no-no' they wouldn't be offering it to us. DP just calmed me down with rational words! How are you feeling after having it?

AreWeThereYet000 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:56:56

I was worried about having the flu jab, as I didn't want the flu and was made aware it wasn't a live jab, so there isn't a virus to catch from it. As PP said it's likely you would have been coming down with something anyway, just coincidence smile x

jimijack Tue 21-Feb-17 17:59:52

It's coincidental.
The vaccine is not live.
Your baby is perfectly safe, you will have been brewing an illness prior to the vaccine.

I had mine while pregnant early on after 7 miscarriages, was worried to death, did tonnes of research. No qualms, I got the jab.

HN42 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:04:09

The flu jab itself cannot make you ill, its not a live virus that they inject. Unfortunately there are a lot of bugs going around at the minute and it may just be a coincidence that you are coming down with one. Either that or it may be just be your immune system responding to having had the jab but I would just take some paracetamol as it will bring your temperature back to normal and stop the fever. I had mine done when I was about 6 weeks pregnant and had no symptoms but everyone is different how they respond to the flu jab.

harleysmammy Tue 21-Feb-17 18:18:23

It annoys me so much when people say "you dont get ill from the jab because its not live". Totally agree its not live but i've had a flu jab every single year since i was 6 and i actually had 2 flu jabs this pregnancy (first time they accidentally did the flu instead of anti d and then the second time was routine - i didnt think you could have two but apparently you can). Every single time since i was 6 i have become poorly the night of the jab/day after for at least a week and a half. When i was 9, i actually got taken to hospital because i was so weak and poorly from the jab that i fainted, they thought originally i was allergic to something in the jab or maybe the jab itself but i wasnt. Every single doctor i saw whilst staying in for a week, said that although its not a live jab, it can still make your immune system lower and can make you feel under the weather. Even now when i have the jab, the nurses say "this jab can make you feel a bit ill so rest and take paracetamols". It's not as bad as what i get when i have the jab, but my brother, my nan and my grandad get ill after having the jab and when we were in school having the flu jab, both my best friends & boyfriend were ill after the injection. So for those who are gunna say its just me, it definitely isnt. It isnt a live jab, but it can definitely make some people feel poorly. Its totally normal dont worry x

Jellybabie3 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:18:26

Mrs K im fine just bruised. I only had it 2 hours ago though. I had one last year and no effects came of it whatsoever. Blooming hope same this time as i have a huge day at work to tomorrow

arbrighton Tue 21-Feb-17 18:19:36

I had it at 6weeks. Now 21weeks. Glad I'm unlikely to get flu or the serious complications it can cause such as pneumonia

Mu51cal Tue 21-Feb-17 18:21:43

I'm 38 + 3 and I had the flu jab earlier in my pregnancy as I work with children. Turns out the flu jab only covers what they GUESS will be this year's flu strain, and I still ended up getting flu hmmI thought I was immune and was pretty surprised when I got poorly... no one told me the jab wasn't always 100% - I assumed it was like a vaccine, but evidently not...just to warn people not to rely on it! smile

arbrighton Tue 21-Feb-17 18:27:01

There are hundreds of flu strains every year and it mutates rapidly, no way can they have a crystal ball and make a vaccine for something that doesn't exist yet....

mummabubs Tue 21-Feb-17 18:31:25

I work in the NHS with vulnerable people so have my flu jab every year, I always feel like crap afterwards! Having said that the NHS still advises you to have it in pregnancy as there's no known risk of having it but if you were to catch flu that could be fatal so definitely better safe than sorry xx

MrsK8541 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:34:19

Thanks all. Fil is a doctor and has said it is perfectly normal to feel under the weather after a flu jab. Although the virus isn't live your body obviously still has the immune response which is what makes you feel pants. So I guess at least my body is doing what it should be! Taken some paracetamol and am now snuggled on the sofa feeling a teeny bit better. 😊

OpposableThumbs2 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:45:45

Most of the times I have had a flu jab I have felt a bit grotty later in the day for a few hours but back to normal the next day. Hope you feel better soon.

MrsK8541 Wed 22-Feb-17 12:18:20

Thought I would update you. Popped to docs this morning and I have a UTI. So most likely that making me feel rubbish rather than flu jab. 7 days of amoxicillin now sad

UnbornMortificado Wed 22-Feb-17 12:24:18

I've had mine and had it with my last two with no ill effect.

I've heard your fil theory before MrsK and it seems to tie in.

Everyman and his dog seems to have had that sickness bug that's doing the rounds at the minute.

I've had real flu once, it started just after I'd took my youngest DD for the flu nasal spray doodaah. I make DH take her now, I know it was just a coincidence but it's put me off taking her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now