Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Electric blanket-really worried...

(10 Posts)
flowerygirl Tue 21-Feb-17 14:42:40

I'm only about 5/6 weeks pregnant but slept on an electric blanket for a couple of nights last week. I didn't think anything of it, but now I've worried I overheated myself at night and hurt the baby. I read something scary about overheating during early pregnancy being bad and damaging brain development. Spoke to my Mum, she thinks I'm being really silly but I can't stop thinking about it...

Sparklyuggs Tue 21-Feb-17 14:45:06

Just think how many women have used one or gone in a sauna without knowing they're Pg and are fine. Stop using it if it'll put your mind at ease but I think it needs to be very hot to do any harm.

OuchLegoHurts Tue 21-Feb-17 14:45:18

Nope, you're being silly! How do you think women in hot countries have healthy babies?! Relax and enjoy your pregnancy...anxiety harms babies much more than heat!

MrsDc7 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:46:46

Electric blankets keep you warm... they don't keep you hot or you wouldn't be comfortable. Don't worry about it (mind you, I remember feeling stressed in early pregnancy whilst at a concert because the bass was so loud... I was convinced it was going to shake the baby off haha) hormones don't help the worrying either!

flowerygirl Tue 21-Feb-17 14:53:09

Thanks everyone. I woke in the night really hot though. Sweating and throwing the covers off. I told my husband I was worried about it and he just laughed! He says sweating is how our bodies stop us from overheating...

It will be my third baby after having two perfectly healthy children. I thought by this stage I would stop worrying! Although I guess after a miscarriage I am quite sensitive to everything that can go wrong.

MrsDc7 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:56:09

Ah yes of course you will be flowers try not to worry and mention it at your next appointment for some extra reassurance.

ExpectoPatronummmm Tue 21-Feb-17 14:59:30

I had boiling hot baths and no problems.
An electric blanket killing your baby is not going to happen

passmethewine123 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:19:42

Your OH is quite right, sweating is exactly how our bodies stop us from overheating. It's actually quite difficult to overheat and if you had you would be pretty ill and would definitely know about it. Getting a bit hot is really not the same thing wink

harleysmammy Tue 21-Feb-17 18:27:08

I wake up sweating and hot all the time and im 30 weeks. I've tried to have warm baths but thy just dont do it for me, so i end up putting more hot in and having to get out because im so sweaty. I also had to sleep on a hot water bottle a few weeks ago because the hip pain was so bad, but he's wriggling awaysmile dont worry, im sure i was told that the fluid around baby stops them over heating or something like that x

mummabubs Tue 21-Feb-17 18:29:26

I didn't know I was pregnant on honeymoon so was in saunas and spent over an hour in 40 degree centigrade outdoor spa pools... had a scan last week and all is well! I think the anxiety is understandable but you're more than likely absolutely fine 😊 xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now