Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Citalopram and pregnancy

(2 Posts)
Itsalwayssunny Tue 21-Feb-17 12:39:02

I've been prescribed citalopram due to anxiety, I'm 14 +2 today. I am not sure whether to take it or not. I've read there is a link between SSRIs and premature labour. The reason for my anxiety is due to a very premature labour in my last pregnancy.

Can anyone give their experience on taking citalopram in pregnancy and more specifically did you go into labour early?

Isthisusernamefree Tue 21-Feb-17 15:56:38

Hi OP,

I am on Citalopram for anxiety, 20mg. I'm only 10 weeks and this is my first pregnancy to get this far so I don't have any useful info on premature labour, but I did discuss the use of citalopram at length with both my GP and midwife. Both assured me that they weren't worried about it in the slightest and that at such a small dosage it would be unlikely to even make it through the placenta to the baby, so this calmed my nerves. The only thing they did say was that if I wanted to breast feed I'd have to change medication as you can't breast feed when taking citalopram.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now