Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

5mg folic acid after 12 weeks

(8 Posts)
Denna81 Tue 21-Feb-17 11:40:42

Hello,

probably a really stupid question so apologies.

My consultant said i could stop taking this at 12 weeks which I took to mean I could but didn't have to, and so i've just continued with my 5mg folic acid and Vit D supplement. I paid for the prescription so figured I might as well finish the course.

Pregnancy paranoia has me today at 14 weeks and i'm wondering if there are any reasons why continuing with the higher dose could be a bad thing?

CelticPromise Tue 21-Feb-17 11:45:54

Nope it's fine. I took it til about 30 weeks (following advice after previous problems). Don't worry.

vfoster Tue 21-Feb-17 11:46:09

Hello, I had the same advice from my consultant. I had extra folic acid anyway due to a folate and B12 deficiency so I just finished my prescription (up until about 16 weeks). After that I just carried on taking my pregnancy supplements

Denna81 Tue 21-Feb-17 11:58:42

Thank you so much for this reassurance! smile

wonkylegs Tue 21-Feb-17 12:07:31

I took a 5mg dose throughout 2 pregnancies as I take another med which can affect levels and consultant said they didn't know if I needed to take it throughout but it would do no harm so she prescribed it throughout pregnancy. Although this is anecdotal I had no problems and have 2 healthy boys

sweetchilli77 Tue 21-Feb-17 12:48:48

i replied to your other thread but i take it I'm 31 weeks, plus aspirin and Vitamin D

Why do you pay for your prescriptions ?

Northernlurker Tue 21-Feb-17 12:49:44

It won't do any harm at all. Congrats on your pregnancy.

harleysmammy Tue 21-Feb-17 13:32:17

My midwife asks me every time i see her if i need them so i guess there fine? I was also told at 29 weeks to take them to help with taking iron tablets as it helps absorption of the iron or something - i dont know but she said to take it and im in the third trimester so there cant be anything wrong with itsmile also, why do you pay for prescriptions? I live in wales so dont have to pay for them pregnant or not but i always thought when pregnant you didnt have to pay for prescriptions or the dentist? Maybe thats just me being silly though haha x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now