Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Share your smell aversions!

(42 Posts)
Chloris33 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:47:37

It's such a weird part of pregnancy isn't it? The horribly heightened sense of smell that can send you gagging. My worst is fridges, including the smell of refrigerated foods in the supermarket - ugh! Also the smell of baked goods in cafes, which is weird as I still like eating cake & bread. Sometimes I think I can smell something rank rotting in our cellar, but DH assures me there is no real smell... I'm 14 weeks, hope it (and the nausea) goes soon.

littleposs Mon 20-Feb-17 21:50:32

Garlic! (smell of it cooking) With you on the fridges too! xxx

littleposs Mon 20-Feb-17 21:50:56

and tea and coffee....bleurgh!

nonameinspiration Mon 20-Feb-17 21:51:57

It was dirty washing up water for me I could smell it on the plates on the drainer! Bleugh

powerpuffer Mon 20-Feb-17 21:53:04

Bendicks Bitter Mints. I love them usually and bought a box just before I was pregnant and now the idea of them being in my house makes me want to heave.

Lelly0503 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:54:08

The cupboard I keep my dogs lead/treats/food in. And fridges. And the smell of the oven turned on even with no food in it

drinkyourmilk Mon 20-Feb-17 21:54:13

Garlic and toothpaste. Still struggling with them at 34 weeks!

Limerish Mon 20-Feb-17 21:54:50

Unwashed hair. Especially sat behind someone on a bus bleuch, had to carry an orange to squeeze to disguise the smell.

LOVED the smell of fabric softener though, we still use the brand I loved the most (but no longer get excited by the smell)

knorrig Mon 20-Feb-17 21:55:33

Raw meat...walking past a butchers made me heave!

firsttimer12345 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:13:31

My DH blush I think actually it's because he eats and cooks with a lot of garlic which I have gone off too and now I can smell it on him! Also Subway, almost barfed walking past one yesterday.

whoateallthejaffacakes Mon 20-Feb-17 22:27:01

matches or blowing out candles!

10storeylovesong Mon 20-Feb-17 22:27:51

Fridges. Coffee - such a shame as I love it usually! Mince meat - someone at work was cooking burgers today and it was horrendous! Oranges.

kikibo Mon 20-Feb-17 22:43:13

During the first trimester my deodorant made me feel sick to the point I had to ask DH to buy me a Dove one with a neutral smell.
And food in general. Now it's kind of OK.

Notlostjustexploring Mon 20-Feb-17 22:43:49

I'm another one who hated the smell of my fridge - I could tell it had been opened from anywhere in the house and hated the smell of my previously beloved coffee. Both made me retch. I actually confiscated a colleague's coffee to stop me vomiting in meetings.blush

JessieMillz25 Tue 21-Feb-17 06:39:59

All of the cupboards in my classroom make me feel sick when I open them! One cupboard at my mum's house. And like PP said poor OH. Something about his breath now (he is ridiculously hygienic and comes from a family of dentists so I'm pretty sure I'm the problem not him!)

Craicvac Tue 21-Feb-17 08:29:46

My dog! sad Also my kitchen in general- poor DH has to do everything because sometimes I can't even set foot downstairs without being sick!

BillyButtfuck Tue 21-Feb-17 08:40:58

Mine was sweet n sour sauce from the Chinese, especially when DH had it next day envyenvyenvy

KeplerYellow Tue 21-Feb-17 08:54:12

Washing up liquid and bacon :/

hopsalong Tue 21-Feb-17 09:26:23

B.O. Halitosis. Every soap product I used in the first trimester when vomiting at worst. Raw mince. Cheese. The slightly off smell of old spinach in my fridge this morning. Brassy perfumes. The smell of sanitary towel bins in public loos.

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Tue 21-Feb-17 10:06:42

Other people's hygiene products... Not so much this time but last time when I got the bus a lot at rush hour... deo, perfume, shampoo, aftershave... bleurgh!

DoingTheSwanThing Tue 21-Feb-17 10:08:12

The dishwasher - AFTER it had washed. confused

nonameinspiration Tue 21-Feb-17 10:09:17

I was in love with disinfectant though my house had never been so germ free!

ILoveCheeseMoreThanYou Tue 21-Feb-17 10:20:48

In the early days it was me! I can't describe the smell but it didn't wash off and made me feel sick when I got a whiff.

Chloris33 Tue 21-Feb-17 10:37:30

I definitely agree about raw meat!

MumBeth Tue 21-Feb-17 10:49:59

Inside of any car, include my own!! Need windows open to get fresh air. Proves difficult on a cold day with a 2 hour commute brrrrrr. It's either freeze or throw up on my work clothes 😐

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now