Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Carbon monoxide testing

(7 Posts)
Gooseygoosey12345 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:43:07

What's the deal with this? I mean obviously it's to check baby's safe with the levels of CM in your system but I have the alarms in my house and I don't smoke. I really hate putting things like that in my mouth and get light headed when blowing like that (health issues). I feel like if I say that to my MW she'll just think I'm being ridiculous but I really don't feel the need. Guess I just wanted a moan

drinkyourmilk Mon 20-Feb-17 21:56:59

I declined it. Don't smoke, alarms in my house and at work, ventilate both environments daily. Plus I have asthma so my 'puff' is monitored regularly

Gooseygoosey12345 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:00:57

Thanks drink! I know I'm not the only one then. I think I'll just decline at my next appointment as I said last time I didn't feel up to it (which was true).

Spam88 Wed 22-Feb-17 12:32:09

I do think you're being a bit silly, you only have to blow in a tube once.

bluebird1235 Wed 22-Feb-17 12:34:56

I asked my midwife when I had to do it as I've never smoked. She said that it's actually useful for picking up things like whether you have a faulty boiler and don't know it. I have an outside boiler but do have an indoor log burner and Rayburn so seemed like a good idea. Plus as pp said you just have to blow in a tube!

Anticyclone Wed 22-Feb-17 12:48:09

My wife blew above the safe limit the first time she did this. A 6 I think (3 is upper limit). Midwife says that if you work in a city like London its normal to have that reading on a work day. Nevertheless we went mad getting the boiler and gas cooker and even the car tested, but everything was normal. Next time she blew 4, and time after that a 3. Baby is now here and healthy, so not really sure what to make of it all!

123happymummy Wed 22-Feb-17 18:32:55

I think perhaps might b a bit overboard, however like bluebird1235 said could be anythin from faulty boiler to bad car emissions. Surely there has been previous research to suggest this testing is necessary. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now