Talk

Advanced search

GD and weight loss

(3 Posts)
haveacupoftea Sun 19-Feb-17 10:38:01

Just wondering if anyone has lost weight after being diagnosed with GD and if it has been a problem?

I was overweight before becoming pregnant and was told to gain between 5-9kg. Now 25 weeks and have gained 3kg so far, the midwife is very pleased with this and said a slow steady gain is the best way.

However I was told on Tuesday that I have GD and have been adjusting my diet accordingly with the result that i've lost half a kilo since then already. I get my monitor on Monday so will be even stricter from then and I can see the weight loss being quite dramatic for the first couple of weeks.

So is it ok since I have the weight to lose and will be continuing to take pregnacare and eat the healthiest options albeit smaller portions? I do worry about baby not growing properly or becoming distressed because I am hungry quite often despite eating normal portion sizes.

BouncingBlueberry Sun 19-Feb-17 10:56:27

I was diagnosed with GD on Wednesday and have been monitoring since. I haven't been weighing myself but I can tell in my clothes that I have lost some weight. This week is a monitoring week where I have to take my levels 7 times a day then report my levels back on Wednesday. So far my levels have all been lower, sometimes a fair bit lower than the guidance levels.
There is still some sweet things I can have, two MnS ginger biscuits with a cup of tea in the afternoon which helps curb any cravings. I can also tolerate berries so been having lots of mixed berries for a pudding.
It's all trial and error in these early days with it but I never feel hungry or like I'm going without (so far). It's my 30th birthday in two weeks so I may feel deprived then when I can't have a glass of bubbly or a slice of cake.

JeNeRegretteRien Mon 20-Feb-17 12:23:06

I think it's normal to lose weight. But as you said, you'll be continuing to eat all the healthy things - you can have lots of protein, dairy and veg because it's only carbs you have to watch for. I also think it probably works the same way as when you can't eat much due to morning sickness - the baby takes what it needs first, so you would become deficient in anything before the baby would. But check with your midwife for reassurance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now