Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Mauritius while pregnant?

(10 Posts)
Poppies9629 Sat 18-Feb-17 13:03:07

Hello All,
We are looking at booking a holiday to Mauritius in May. I would be 20 weeks by then and wondered if anyone else has travelled there at a similar time.
Any hints / tips, pros / cons and overall would you recommend it?
Thanks

MinnieNoush Sat 18-Feb-17 16:54:21

I would definitely avoid all of the Caribbean due to Zika virus!

arbrighton Sat 18-Feb-17 17:06:47

I wouldn't go quite as far as Minnie but do take mosquito precautions to avoid bites. I was bitten in Singapore and so having growth scans to monitor in case.

With hindsight, i'd have been doused in Deet (wasn't pregnant then but was when we got home after that trip)

Poppies9629 Sat 18-Feb-17 17:07:11

Thanks MinnieNoush, I thought the same thing initially, always just assumed it was Caribbean but it's actually off the west coast of Afrika - Zika free, even Malaria free!

Sparklyuggs Sat 18-Feb-17 18:20:35

I was going to say, it's very far from the carribbean!

Not been but normal travel sense: excellent travel insurance from when you book, sunblock, maternity notes, compression socks for the plane, details of the local hospital where you would go for treatment. I'd also take a stash of pregnancy friendly meds like paracetamol, rehydration sachets, anti histamines just in case they're needed.

Enjoy!

princessbananahammock252 Sun 19-Feb-17 00:14:40

We are flying to Mauritius next week, at which point I'll be 22 weeks pregnant. We chose the destination after my cousin recommended it. She went when she was 5 months pregnant. She advised to NOT get a direct flight (we would fly from London), but to fly with an airline that would stop at Dubai. Direct flight is 12 hours + and might be too much for you. The wait between connecting flights will be around 3-4 hours but we are going to check into an hourly hotel or lounge to lie down, and have a shower so I can freshen up for the journey in case I'm super tired.

In terms of Mauritius, the best weather is between March and October so it seems you'll be going at the right time. We have been advised by many people and trailfinders (who we've booked through), that the west of the island is the best to stay as it has more to offer and the weather is generally better.

That's the only advice I can offer at the moment. Can report back after the trip on any tips whilst we are out there.

Poppies9629 Sun 19-Feb-17 16:45:25

Thanks princessbananahammock252, have a fab time and I look forward to reading about it. smile

MinnieNoush Sun 19-Feb-17 18:30:18

You're absolutely right! I just assumed it's Caribbean but it's not.
In that case I don;' see why not, at 20 weeks you should hopefully be feeling pretty good, so as long as you are up for a long flight then once you get there it should be pretty idyllic!

ArriettyClock1 Sun 19-Feb-17 18:44:29

We went to Mauritius when I was 24 weeks.

We went direct, but the flight is not unbearably long, only about 12 hours iirc. I made the effort to walk up and down the aisle a few times as I was pg, (I wouldn't normally bother!).

We stayed in Beau Champ and it was gorgeous. We are keen scuba divers, and I couldn't dive, but the snorkelling was pretty good.

Seahawk80 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:36:04

I'm going on Sat at 22 weeks. It's a perfect babymoon destination. No zika, no malaria.
We're flying indirect and then stopping in Dubai for a couple of nights on the way home to break up the journey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now