Talk

Advanced search

Headaches and 'seeing stars' at 33 weeks

(44 Posts)
mistermagpie Sat 18-Feb-17 12:23:55

Has anyone else had this? I keep having weird flashing lights on my vision, it's only happened a few times and lasts about half an hour but I've also got a persistent headache. I had my blood taken about two weeks ago and it was fine (a bit on the low side), urine was also fine. Any ideas?

guiltynetter Sat 18-Feb-17 12:27:14

i don't mean to worry you but headaches and vision changes can be signs of pre eclampsia. is it worth getting a midwife appointment asap or doctors?

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pre-eclampsia/pages/symptoms.aspx

IMissGin Sat 18-Feb-17 12:27:17

Call triage, arrange to go in and have blood pressure checked. Do it today

mistermagpie Sat 18-Feb-17 12:27:21

Blood pressure I mean.

vfoster Sat 18-Feb-17 12:27:35

I'm only 19 weeks but I've had the same a few times. I called the midwives and they had me go into the day unit at the hospital. I had to have neurological tests in the end. Everything was fine and they suspected migraines and gave me some codine and a follow up appointment.
I would call the midwives/hospital if I were you. Best to get checked out to make sure it's nothing!

Tokelau Sat 18-Feb-17 12:27:45

Ring the midwife, she will want to check your blood pressure.

It could just be a migraine, but don't take any chances.

Hope everything is ok. flowers

Helbelle75 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:28:21

Ring your antenatal unit asap and see what they say. Both of these things can be symptoms of pre-eclampsia. They'll either reassure you or want you to pop in.

Dontsayyouloveme Sat 18-Feb-17 12:28:23

Really weird, I had sparkly floaters in my eyes from about 30 weeks onwards, I'd notice them about 4/5 times a day! Went to eye hospital, no issues. No headaches though but deffo sparkly things in my vision. Never had them since I gave birth! Sorry, not any help x x

Lunalovepud Sat 18-Feb-17 12:30:19

Go to hospital now.

The symptoms you describe could be nothing, or they could be signs of Preeclampsia. PE can be managed but it needs to be diagnosed and treated now.

I had PE and it came on in a couple of days, not weeks. Please go to the hospital now. flowers

mistermagpie Sat 18-Feb-17 13:07:57

I googled the symptoms and thought about PE but my BP has always been at the lower end of normal so I didn't think it could be that. The vision thing is worrying me though, yesterday I couldn't actually see my screen (at work), it was quite unsettling. It passed after about 30 minutes though. I feel a bit silly ringing triage, I went in a few weeks ago (they told me to on the phone) because I've had bleeding on and off for the last six weeks and they made me feel like a total time waster in the end.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 18-Feb-17 13:09:34

Go and get checked today, don't wait.

Suzytwoshoes Sat 18-Feb-17 13:12:30

Go, do not feel silly! Better to get checked a thousand times and be fine, than not go once and have something serious! Most midwives will tell you they'd rather you go in! It will put your mind at rest if nothing else. PE can come on usually any time after 28 weeks.

SquedgieBeckenheim Sat 18-Feb-17 13:16:03

Go and get checked. Sounds like pre-eclampsia. It can come on very suddenly so just coz your BP was fine 2 weeks ago, doesn't mean it is now.
I have low BP normally, I had pre-eclampsia last pregnancy and it was missed due to having "normal" BP which was actually high for me. I had same symptoms as you.

GTS Sat 18-Feb-17 13:16:45

Pre eclampsia. Phone triage, who will undoubtedly tell you to come in asap.
You're not being silly, it's a potentially very serious condition.

PerpetualStudent Sat 18-Feb-17 13:16:57

Do go and get it checked. My pre-eclampsia came on quite suddenly at 35 weeks.

BagelDog Sat 18-Feb-17 13:19:11

Pre eclampsia usually comes on quite suddenly, my bp was about 100/50 whole through, so low end of normal, then over theee days went up to 210/115... please go and get checked out. Blood pressure and a urine dip is all they need to do, poss a blood test, and likely a bit of hanging around, but well worth the wait.

Lunalovepud Sat 18-Feb-17 13:23:37

mister I don't want to frighten you but I went from lower end of normal BP to being admitted to hospital because of concerns I may have a stroke, within hours. PE can come on very quickly. Please don't wait. Please go to the hospital now.

LBOCS2 Sat 18-Feb-17 13:25:00

I have low end of normal blood pressure too. Until it wasn't and then it was low end of worrying - but because of the difference between my old pressure and my new, it was a problem and turned out to be pre eclampsia.

In my second pregnancy I had sparkly spots and headaches in pregnancy and they were migraines. But it presented almost exactly the same - so definitely get it checked out.

WotsitWig Sat 18-Feb-17 13:43:13

Give the maternity ward at your hospital a ring. They'll probably want to see you to check you over. I had similar symptoms at 38 weeks and was sent off to the hospital by my community midwife. I'm glad she sent me as I did indeed have pre-eclampsia.

Chippednailvarnishing Sat 18-Feb-17 13:47:49

Had this at 34 weeks, my blood pressure wasn't that high but I was still diagnosed with pre-eclampsia. I had early stage kidney failure because of it and gave birth early.

Thinkingblonde Sat 18-Feb-17 13:49:24

Be on the safe side and ring your midwife or hospital.
I suffered from migraines and pre eclampsia during pregnancy, there wasn't much difference in the symptoms to be honest.

AndHoldTheBun Sat 18-Feb-17 13:59:36

As pp have said, this is potentially a medical emergency - for both you and your baby. My DH (dr, some obs/gyn experience) says phone midwife right now and explain all the symptoms including partial loss of vision.

CatchingBabies Sat 18-Feb-17 14:02:25

You need to be seen today. Pre-eclampsia can come on very quickly and it makes no difference what your normal blood pressure it. The headaches and visual disturbances are symptoms of this, do you have any swelling or pain at all?

Please go and get checked, they won't think you are silly and I personally would rather see 100 people that were worried and had nothing wrong than not see the 1 person that needed help but didn't come in.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sat 18-Feb-17 14:05:51

To echo PPs - please call triage straight away if you haven't already done so. It really doesn't matter if you feel silly - the risk isn't worth it.
Hope all is ok!

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sat 18-Feb-17 14:10:30

Ring the hospital now!

Seriously pre eclampsia is deadly and comes on so quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now