Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

folic acid/multi vitamins 12 weeks?

(6 Posts)
GalaxyDefender2012 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:18:36

I was advised by my midwife at 7 weeks to start taking folic acid or a multi vitamin that had folic acid included for up to 12 weeks. So I have been taking these supplements everyday since. I had my 12 week scan yesterday which revealed I am 13 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I am wondering if it is okay to stop taking the vitamins now or if it's better to stay on for the duration of the pregnancy? Only reason being is that they tend to make me feel sick if I have them on an empty stomach but I am finding it hard to eat breakfast anyway without feeling ill. Any thoughts?

GreedyDuck Sat 18-Feb-17 13:19:06

It's ok to stop the folic acid at this point I think, although I think vit D and iron are useful throughout.

Babies are very good at getting what they need from you, and presumably you have an ok diet.

What about taking them in the evening instead?

ExcitedMamaToBe Sat 18-Feb-17 13:21:17

I've continued taking mine, I'm currently 33+5. I found taking mine at night before bed was a lot easier on my stomach than taking them in the morning

GalaxyDefender2012 Sat 18-Feb-17 13:39:09

Oh thank you, that's good to hear, I wondered about taking them in the evening but for some reason I assumed they wouldn't work as well? Silly me haha I guess as long as I'm getting the vitamins at some point in the day it won't make too much of a difference.

Smurf123 Sat 18-Feb-17 16:44:29

I take mine at lunch time usually after I have managed to eat some food as they say to eat with main meal so reckon with dinner would also be absolutely grand!

arbrighton Sat 18-Feb-17 17:08:42

I stopped folic acid after first scan but still taking vit D which is recommended throughout, not anaemic at the moment so that plus balanced diet as far as I can at 20+4

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now