Talk

Advanced search

Iron / Sickness?

(12 Posts)
MrsG2017 Sat 18-Feb-17 10:12:03

Hi All

My iron results were on the borderline low side I think they are meant to be between 20-200 and mine was 21.

My Midwife suggested I take an iron supplement (2tablets twice a day)

Just wondered if iron made anyone else feel sick? Or Woosy?

Last night it also gave me black diaroeah. Sorry too much info

Has anyone else felt ill from iron?

Rosetree123 Sat 18-Feb-17 10:33:09

I've also been told to take iron and they make my stomach cramp and give me constipation. I ordered spatone which came yesterday, its a liquid iron and its meant to be gentler on the stomach. Not sure of it yet as only had it one day but so far so good smile

ColourfulOrangex Sat 18-Feb-17 10:36:49

I had spatone (which tastes vile so I put a bit of juice with it and kind of done it as a shot) I can honestly say it worked after the second one and I felt so much better, can't help with the tablets but hope you feel better OP

savagehk Sat 18-Feb-17 10:39:41

I believe you can get different formulations of the supplement, worth asking. I'm also taking Spatone instead of the tablets. Floridax is another option.

InsertUsernameHere Sat 18-Feb-17 11:02:55

I was coming on to say Spatone too.

mycatloveslego Sat 18-Feb-17 11:28:10

Another vote for spatone. I couldn't take the iron tablets because they made me sick and constipated. Spatone mixed with a bit of orange juice worked and I didn't get horrible side effects.

RedBugMug Sat 18-Feb-17 11:30:41

I didn't get on with liquid iron. I took the tablets an hour or so before bed and that was fine

BrownEyedLady Sat 18-Feb-17 11:34:35

Ferrous sulphate makes me sick. Thats the usual type in suppliments because it's cheaper. Ferrous Fumarate is much better - I've had no problems with it and have lovely satisfying solid (but yes black) poos with it too - TMI grin

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 18-Feb-17 11:56:23

I have two sachets of spatone in about 300ml oj and it's fine. Tastes a bit funny but you get used to it. No tummy complications for me.

F1ipFlopFrus Sat 18-Feb-17 12:02:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

F1ipFlopFrus Sat 18-Feb-17 12:05:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SkyLucy Sat 18-Feb-17 12:15:05

When you say 'iron level', do you mean ferritin? (Which makes sense with those numbers). I'm heavily pregnant (now overdue, wah!), have low ferritin and am anaemic. I take 600mg of ferrous sulfate a day (three pills) - side effects are black poo and constipation...very common I'm afraid! Have definitely heard that sickness is common too. You could try ferrous fumarate either (or sulfate - whichever you're not taking). I don't advise spatone/floradix though - the iron content is simply not high enough. (One sachet of Spatone has 5mg elemental iron, compared to 65mg in a 200mg ferrous sulfate tablet).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now