Advanced search

(34 Posts)
FenellaMaxwellsPony Fri 17-Feb-17 22:33:26

40+6 and have reached a new low. I have completely lost the ability to spell. Today, words I have misspelled include 'work', 'mobile' and MY OWN NAME. Twice. I have an English degree. blush

How long after having the baby does your brain start coming back please?!

Lovelilies Fri 17-Feb-17 22:37:25

It doesn't. It gets worse, sadly. Sorry!

FenellaMaxwellsPony Fri 17-Feb-17 22:40:44

worse?! sad

PacificDogwod Fri 17-Feb-17 22:42:35

It will be fine lies

Hope your baby makes an appearance soon thanks

Motherwithflaws Fri 17-Feb-17 22:43:04

Yep, worse.

PacificDogwod Fri 17-Feb-17 22:52:55

Fwiw, IME and IMO 'baby brain' is simply a reflection of too many things on your mind/too many balls in the air.
Suggesting anything different is rather nasty and, likely, born out of misogyny.

My youngest is now almost 7, I still forget lots of stuff and yes, I have Too Much Going On.
That is my excuse and I am sticking to it grin

FenellaMaxwellsPony Fri 17-Feb-17 22:58:35

But spelling was one of the few things I'm actually any bloody good at! sad

FlyingCat Fri 17-Feb-17 23:11:27

I think I read somewhere that memory problems during and post baby may be due to/ made worse by some vitamin deficiencies... extra oil supplements maybe?

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 11:29:46

Baby brain myth

Found this and thought to you smile

SunnyDayDreaming101 Sun 19-Feb-17 11:47:16

I misspelled my DH name yesterday if that makes you feel better 🙈

Oysterbabe Sun 19-Feb-17 11:48:37

It definitely gets worse. I remember about 3 months after having DD my pin number just fell out of my brain. I've had the same pin for maybe 20 years but it was just gone. I had to call the bank.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sun 19-Feb-17 12:30:41

I think it's more of a comfort to believe in baby brain - the alternative being that I am just getting stupid for no reason! grin

SunnyDayDreaming101 Sun 19-Feb-17 12:45:35

There have been a few studies that show a woman's brain does actually shrink during pregnancy. I'm normally a research sceptic till I have seen the trial set up/sample size etc ..... however let's let this one slide and say yes baby brain is a proven fact wink it explains why I put the remote in the fridge last week lol

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 16:46:04

I'd love to see those studies, Sunny - anyway, size does not always matter.

I agree with you, Fenella, the concept of 'baby brain' is quite comforting, but probably (thankfully!) rubbish.

SunnyDayDreaming101 Sun 19-Feb-17 17:45:39

Yeah, one got published last year but I would call it scientifically conclusive or anything...

And just to make us feel better -

It's a thing - well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it wink

OuchBollocks Sun 19-Feb-17 17:53:21

I became as thick as pigshit when I was due DD. I kept leaving the house without putting shoes on ffs. Tiredness had a lot to do with it; I was more or less fully functioning again by the time she turned 1 (shocking sleeper) though in the first few exhausting weeks of her life the only TV show I could focus on was Dance Moms. I didn't have the intellectual capacity for anything else.

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 18:02:58

Interesting, thanks, Sunny smile

Yes, I had/have all sorts of <ahem> cognitive gaps while pregnant/when looking after young kids etc etc, but really actually (with my serious hat on) worry about quite how misogynistic it is to blame all that on 'baby brain' i.e. hormones. Our pink lady brains struggle, don't they? hmm
I think it has more to do with sleep deprivation, the sheer challenge of looking after a baby while still doing all the other stuff we do and being preoccupied.
My kids are now between 14 and 7 and still always on my mind, even if only peripherally. I wonder whether fathers think in the same way about their offspring? Not sure.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sun 19-Feb-17 18:03:09

My mother just tried to make me do the Times crossword with her. It actually physically hurt my Brian.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sun 19-Feb-17 18:03:26

BRAIN. FFS!!!!!!

OuchBollocks Sun 19-Feb-17 18:05:04

grin poor Brian

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 18:05:13

Oh, my brain rather resembles a Brian quite frequently grin

Bluebellevergreen Sun 19-Feb-17 18:16:07

My spelling is awful lately too sad I am very worried as this is my second language and my spelling was excellent sad

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sun 19-Feb-17 18:32:26

This is all Brian's fault.

SunnyDayDreaming101 Sun 19-Feb-17 19:20:40

Screw Brian! Bet this back pain and sleepless nights are his doing too! grin

KitKat1985 Sun 19-Feb-17 19:26:51

I'm afraid mine also got worse before it got better, especially with DD1 who was an appalling sleeper, and so I was regularly getting less than 2 hours sleep a night. Sometimes I just used to stare vacantly into space for ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now