Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What do you see somewhere around 5weeks on ultrasound?

(7 Posts)
Smurf123 Fri 17-Feb-17 22:04:47

I had another scan today.. sac could be seen on an abdominal scan. Although on it all she could really see was the gestational sac. But on an internal scan she saw it and the yolk sac.. Told to come back again in another 2 weeks.
Had a first scan two weeks ago when absolutely nothing was seen on an abdominal scan and they did see sac on internal but there was definitely growth today and it was much bigger now.
Thing is I have no idea of dates as id had what I thought was af 3 times in around a month. Gp said she thinks it sounds like a chemical pregnancy at the end of Dec as I had 2 positives and then a negative test a week later on the 10th Jan. Had bleeding on 24th Jan which I thought was period again! Had gone to my doc really about that but by the time I could get an appointment it was the 31St January. She wanted to do a preg test to tick off all the boxes and it came back very faint positive which is why she sent me to the epu for a scan.
So if I happened to have fallen pregnant after the negative test on the 10th Jan today is only 5 weeks 3ish days since then so what she saw on today's scan would be about right?? She said to come back in 2 weeks and hopefully we would see a heartbeat then..
Im only 27 and when we had the mmc in August we were so excited but to turn up at the booking scan and not see a hb has scared me. Im afraid to get my hopes up this time around. And tbh I really don't know what if expect to see on a scan earlier that that. Last Sunday a clear blue digital said 2-3 weeks on Monday gone by it said 3+ so by that I'm reckoning I'm around 5weeks. So really I'm sort of hoping for some guidance or reassurance that at 5 ish weeks to only see gestational sac and yolk sac is normal???

Allamystery44 Fri 17-Feb-17 22:17:47

Hi, yes that is totally normal at 5 weeks, well it was for me. I had a very early scan at 5 weeks due to pain and being an older mother they wanted to rule out eptopic. All that we saw was a yolk and sac and now that yolk and sack is two years old!

HandbagFan Fri 17-Feb-17 22:18:57

You don't usually see a heartbeat until after 6 weeks, and sometimes later. At 5 weeks you see nothing that you or I could determine, but the experts can see the yolk sack. And yes, it would be internal at 5 weeks.

katand2kits Fri 17-Feb-17 22:21:55

The earliest I ever had a scan was 6+2 and the embryo was only 5mm at that stage, so totally normal that it is invisible on a scan at 5 weeks. It is probably only 2mm big at the most. The only thing that will tell you what you need to know is a scan in 2 weeks time.

AmberNectarine Fri 17-Feb-17 22:41:25

Me too - even at 6w there was just a sac. 6y later she is large as life and twice as gobby!

Smurf123 Fri 17-Feb-17 22:52:07

Thanks for the replies. Allamystery44 thanks that good news story definitely helps :-)
I think in part it's difficult because I'm just guessing I'm around 5 weeks or there Abouts but I really don't know for certain.
It was such a long two weeks until today and the idea of waiting another two just seems so far away.
I'm trying to keep reminding myself that it is positive to have seen growth on the scan today from 2 weeks ago. And also if I hadn't gone to the doctor about the random bleeding I would only have noticed a "missed" period today.

mistletoeprickles Sat 18-Feb-17 09:14:32

Mine was the same at that point. Went back at 7 weeks and there was a little heart beating away

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now