Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any advice on taking fragmin while pregnant/breast feeding?!

(11 Posts)
A2014 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:47:35

Currently 21 weeks pregnant and have been prescribed fragmin daily due to a pre-existing heart condition which has been aggrevated by the pregnancy. Has any one had a similar experience?

How did the whole birth thing go down? I had a horrendous first birth and am somewhat terrified second time round!

I've been told I'll need to remain on fragmin until a short while after the baby is born. Is it compatible with bfing? It passes through to breast milk but I'm unsure if this is an issue.

Piehunter Fri 17-Feb-17 21:53:22

I'm a long term fragmin user, over 2 years. I'm currently ttc with no previous pregnancy but it is safe to breastfeed on it and as it only has a short half life of 12 hours it is usually out of your system by the time you actually give birth (usual advice is to stop injecting when you're in labour, obviously you'll be given individual advice!) lots of women have fragmin/similar anti clotting agents post c section and use them safely while breastfeeding. Fragmin doesn't cross the placenta either so no effect in pregnancy smile

Watto1 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:55:19

I had to have fragmin after my c-sections. I breastplate both dc with no problems.

Watto1 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:56:08

Aaagh! Breastfed not breastplate!

Sunshinegirl82 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:56:38

Was also prescribed fragmin after my c-section, breastfed ds with no issues.

SolomanDaisy Fri 17-Feb-17 21:59:08

I had it daily for six weeks after birth and breastfed with no issues. Drs were very cautious about what I could take as my baby was premature and small, so I imagine it is very safe.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 18-Feb-17 08:53:05

Been on fragmin since 12w check due to previous dvt which went to my lung and collapsed and it spent 2w in hospital

Now 34w legs bruised from injection but whatever keeps bubs safe

Was told prob need 6w after if have cs tho may also go into warfarin as well for 6mths

No one has said I can't bf yet while taking it

A2014 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:11:02

Thanks so much for all the info. Reassuring that breast feeding is likely unaffected. Seems like it's a common medication to be prescribed after all!!

Vida32 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:19:59

I have been injecting low weight molecular heparin since about 10 weeks (now 29 weeks). Started on Fragmin and now on Tinzaparin as I changed NHS trusts and my new trust simply uses a different LWMH. This is because of a previous DVT that led to multiple PEs a few years ago.

First pregnancy so I have no experience of the birth or breastfeeding side of things yet. I have had no problems with the injections apart from not really loving injecting myself every day. I've been told:
- I'll need to do this in every pregnancy.
- I need to stop at any signs of labour and ring up for advice. The one issue it can cause is that you can't have an epidural within 12 hours of your last injection, so they do get a little concerned about pain relief and a possible c-section. I have another appointment with the consultant at 36 weeks where I'm going to talk further about this and about my birth plan. I'll try to share more info then!
- There will be no problem with breastfeeding.
- I'll need to continue with the injections for 6 weeks after the birth.

A2014 Sat 18-Feb-17 15:50:42

Injections every day are zero fun that's for sure.

Nervous about the birth as last time I was induced (from start to finish it took 6 days!) and I became an emergency needing a spinal. Avoided a c-section but only just. Seems like a section isn't a given with fragmin which is good to know. Definitely will ask more at the next appointment!

Vida32 Sat 18-Feb-17 17:19:59

Just to add - they will do a section if needed but if it has to be within 12 hrs of your last dose it would have to be under general anaesthetic. I'm not sure what happens with the injections if you are admitted for induction and it takes several days - that's one for me to ask at the next appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now