Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Booking in Appointment

(21 Posts)
emvy Fri 17-Feb-17 16:21:22

Ok so I know this question will be dependent on where people live as it seems this is done differently everywhere but for those it relates to! I have my booking in appointment with the midwife on Thursday when I'll be about 6 weeks. Did you guys take your OH's? I'm pretty sure this appointment will consist of not a lot and possibly the booking of a scan because I have dodgy dates but it will mean my DP taking time off work to come and although it's obviously a very special thing I also don't want him to miss work if all he/she's going to do is take blood pressure and figure out dates. Did you guys feel it was important your OH's were there?

newcareerpath Fri 17-Feb-17 16:23:29

First baby I took dh with me, second time I didn't. It will be a lot of filling in paper work and that was about it here. I'd say what's important is whether you want him to come with you, and whether he'd like to come along. It's not necessary though.

HepKestrel Fri 17-Feb-17 16:26:35

You will be asked about DPs medical history.

NickyEds Fri 17-Feb-17 16:27:44

No, dp didn't come to either of my booking in appointments. They take 30-40 minutes and are quite boring! I think it's better to save days off for scans etc. They ask you lots of questions about your general health and health history, take bloods, measure you and weigh you, give you some vitamins and book in your scan. Nothing really for another half to participate in.

mummabubs Fri 17-Feb-17 16:29:11

I'm in South Wales and was given a big booklet to complete before my booking appointment which asked about DH's family history etc and then the midwife just went through that with me in the appointment. It's our first baby but I didn't feel a need to have husband with me (my work knows but his doesn't so would have been hard for him to explain needing the time out!) Hope it goes well! smile

NerrSnerr Fri 17-Feb-17 16:29:13

It wasn't important for us for my husband to be there, I know his medical history and asked him about his family history beforehand. He had taken time off for scans and came to my pre op assessment again if he can (c sections). He would happily come to any appointments if I was desperate and he was able but I'm fine by myself.

emvy Fri 17-Feb-17 16:35:27

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling the same really - don't particularly need him there for form filling etc and would prefer for him to keep days off for scans later on (all being well!). That's definitely helped make the decision for us - no point missing out on pay for a chat! I'll make sure there's no family history things I don't know about! Thanks everyone, and for the well wishes. Always a helpful and friendly bunch grin

Rockandrollwithit Fri 17-Feb-17 17:06:19

I didn't the first time and it was a quick appointment - midwife just took my medical history and gave information etc. I was completely fine on my own.

This time around I am taking DH as I have various things relating to my first birth to discuss and want the support.

HN42 Fri 17-Feb-17 17:56:55

I did take my OH and to be fair there were questions asked about his medical history and family medical history that I wouldn't have been able to answer but the bulk majority of questions asked will be about you.

Jellybabie3 Fri 17-Feb-17 18:48:41

Hi OP. I had my booking appointment last week and as others have said its a huge form filling exercise and blood/urine sampling. I didnt take OH as i wanted him to save a/l for later appointments. Still exciting though ☺ i practically strutted out of there as it felt like box 2 in a zillion (after POAS) was ticked in this journey. Goodluck for your pregnancy

emvy Fri 17-Feb-17 19:03:05

Aww I'm glad you enjoyed your appointment Jellybabie3. I'm hoping I'll feel the same! Feeling so anxious that I'll have miscarried without realising (I know the odds are high so early on) but still have a million symptoms so I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm a worrier!

Jellybabie3 Fri 17-Feb-17 19:08:13

Ah i know OP but you have to assume all is ok until told otherwise (hard i know, mine is baby no.1 so no idea what I'm doing!!) Just keep reminding yourself that today you are PREGNANT grin

emvy Fri 17-Feb-17 19:17:39

Also baby number 1 over here and my dates are so muddled that I could be anywhere between 3 and 13 weeks so that's making me feel anxious as well. Definitely been taking the motto that today I'm pregnant and thanking for each day I get through. Exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time! How far are you?

2014newme Fri 17-Feb-17 19:21:07

No there is no need.

Jellybabie3 Fri 17-Feb-17 19:26:02

I know the feeling. I am 9 weeks tomorrow, due 23rd Sept. 3 weeks til scan grin got everything crossed...

emvy Fri 17-Feb-17 19:31:39

Good luck with your 13 week scan Jellybabie3! I have everything crossed for you as well smile

Jellybabie3 Fri 17-Feb-17 19:32:20

Thank you ☺

emvy Fri 17-Feb-17 19:46:49

So I meant 12 week sorry grin

Smurf123 Sun 19-Feb-17 21:03:16

With my first pregnancy my booking appointment was around 8 weeks and we got a scan at that one and the letter we got before hand told us we would be getting a scan at it so my husband did come to it..

emvy Sun 19-Feb-17 21:12:26

No letter - I just booked it through my GP and the receptionist didn't mention a scan so it's probably likely that I'll get booked for a scan when I'm there. We'll see! Thanks Smirf123 smile

Celticlassie Sun 19-Feb-17 22:08:05

My DH came as I was getting an extra scan that morning as I'd had some bleeding so I wanted his support. The family history was useful too though, as although I knew the basics he could answer supplementary questions.
There's really no need for your DP to be there though - it does feel like a paper exercise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now