Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stairs

(11 Posts)
gigi556 Fri 17-Feb-17 09:56:16

I know pregnancy can be hard on your body and getting breathless/winded is pretty normal. However, I was wondering to what extent others are experiencing this....

I am finding climbing stairs very difficult. After one flight of stairs in our house, I often need to sit or lie down on the bed to catch my breath. I'm 26 weeks and have been experiencing this for several weeks. It's really frustrating as it makes me feel super unfit and I'm wondering how I'm going to handle labour! I was pretty active prior to pregnancy with HIIT training and running and general exercise 2-3 times a week. I'm only doing yoga and Pilates now as I found strenuous exercise too much once I'd finally recovered from the throes of morning sickness.

Afreshstartplease Fri 17-Feb-17 09:57:17

I had this. Op are you quite short?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 17-Feb-17 09:59:18

your baby is still very high in your abdomen and putting pressure on your diaphragm/lungs so this is why, coupled with extra weight.

As you progress through the pregnancy your baby should drop deeper into your pelvis and you'll find yourself a lot less out or breath.

Ive had 3 DC and each time it was the same, horrible isn't it!

IAmAPaleontologist Fri 17-Feb-17 10:01:28

I would suggest getting your iron levels checked, it should be done routinely at your 28 week appointment but would be worth popping to see your gp and getting them done sooner.

Sparklyuggs Fri 17-Feb-17 10:05:39

I have this and I'm only 17w. My pulse is very high and we live somewhere hilly but I need to stop frequently. I mentioned it to the GP and she referred me for tests, worth getting checked just in case.

eurochick Fri 17-Feb-17 10:46:35

I would also suggest getting your iron levels checked.

gigi556 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:03:35

Afreshstart, yes I'm very short. 4'10". Does this make a difference?

I'm getting my bloods done on Feb 28 at my 28 week check so I'll ask about my iron levels then. I guess in the meantime I should try cooking more in our cast iron skillet!

I just hate feeling like I'm incredibly unfit! I know I'm pregnant but just wondered if it was normal...

IrregularCommentary Fri 17-Feb-17 12:06:24

I was like this too. I got less breathless later on when dd dropped a bit, though the extra weight of her made me less mobile. No problems at all once she was out though smile

MrsJW15 Fri 17-Feb-17 13:53:37

I think that being short makes a difference because your organs get more squashed - nowhere else for baby to go!

sweetchilli77 Fri 17-Feb-17 15:16:30

Im same, been Short of breath on and off through pregnancy , especially stairs...im 30 weeks. The joys smile

harleysmammy Fri 17-Feb-17 15:16:44

I would say get checked for anemia. I was always breathless just walking up stairs/steps or walking around for a little while which i cant honestly remember having before being pregnant. Im anemic and thats what i guess its down too, however, i do think its pretty common coming up to and starting the third trimester to get breathless. Baby is quite high up now, and jf you're like me and have a baby that does somersaults, when they are head down, your ribs will take a battering. But yes, get checked for anemia, i think midwives check at 28 weeks anyway x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now