Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does a big tummy on baby's scan always mean gestational diabetes?

(13 Posts)
CrowieGirl432 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:44:31

Just wondering if anyone else had a growth scan showing baby had a huge tummy? I'm 36 plus and her tummy is measuring more like 40 weeks and is off the growth charts.
I'm re-doing glucose test tomorrow and if it's positive they may do planned c-section at 38 weeks instead of 39.
I'm stewing about it as I did the glucose test at about 28 weeks and was init

CrowieGirl432 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:48:24

Initially told I 'failed' the test - then told there'd been a mix-up and results were normal. I'm stressing that I have had GD and it's been missed for weeks!

PuffTheMagicDragon1 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:11:24

DS was measuring large for dates, large tummy and head. Had the test and came back normal and he was born 8'11. And m sure you will be fine I don't think his tummy measuring 40 weeks is too large I think DS tummy was measuring about 39 weeks at 36/37. Natural to worry but I'm sure you are in good hands

CrowieGirl432 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:45:39

Thanks for replying Puff smile
Fingers crossed she is just big rather than suffering from too much glucose in my system. Her head and legs are fairly petite - it's just the tum!
My son was 4kg at 38 weeks - with a huge head and tummy. I passed the test with him and they didn't ever re-test me.
If it wasn't for the confusion over the first test this time round, I don't think I'd be worrying so much.
Fingers crossed I get the results back quickly to put me out of my misery!

harleysmammy Fri 17-Feb-17 15:26:43

I had my growth scan today and my babys belly is measuring big..she said (exact words) - "fat baby, dont care. Average baby, dont care. Skinny baby, i care". She said he was just a little fatty so dont worry x

Floozie66 Fri 17-Feb-17 15:46:27

Had a growth scan at 34 weeks and bbs abdomen 96tb percentile so retested for gd which came back normal range - just a chubby baby i think?

ASDismynormality Fri 17-Feb-17 15:49:21

DD1 looked like a toad, she had a smallish head, skinny limbs and a massive belly! No gestational diabetes.
My next two babies where fat all over and didn't have gestational diabetes with them either.

Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 Fri 17-Feb-17 16:01:18

Mine showed up a large stomach at 20 week scan but test for gestational diabetes was negative. He's 15 months now but just well built which is in proportion with his weight and height

CrunchieFeeling Fri 17-Feb-17 16:04:10

I had gd. Every time I ate I wanted to sleep. It was like I was drugged. During the test I nearly puked (Although that could have been the hyperemesis!) and then I fell asleep...

I hope you haven't gd, and that everything goes well for you

CrowieGirl432 Fri 17-Feb-17 16:48:04

Thanks everyone! I repeated the glucose test this morning so will prob find out early next week if I passed. I didn't feel great after having the drink but managed not to be sick!

I'm so late in the pregnancy now that I'm not sure what they'll do apart from move my c-section forward a few days.

I'm hoping she is just chubby like my DS was - - although he also had a massive head! I passed test with him and I passed the test at 28 weeks with her. It was just somehow they mixed those results up which has just shaken my confidence a bit!

As harleysmammy said - they're really looking for the baby's who aren't growing. It's just given me something new to worry about on the home stretch!

CrunchieFeeling - hats off to you and all the GD mamas. As if pregnancy isn't enough of a slog without GD thrown in too!

MinnieNoush Fri 17-Feb-17 21:09:42

No it doesn't, my scan showed my baby having a big tummy and my GD results came back negative!

Neolara Fri 17-Feb-17 21:15:54

I had a scan when I was 36 weeks with ds. His tummy was so big it was literally off the chart. The computer couldn't work out the stats and the sonographer had to work it out by hand. He was born at 36 weeks 6 days and weighed 8 lb 10. I'd been part of some research project that had tested for diabetes so know for sure I didn't have it.

His was a very easy birth.

Ds is now 10yo and is all muscle. No fat tummy.

CrowieGirl432 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:28:25

Thanks for all your stories girls. Results back today and my 1 hour and 2 hour were both over the cut-off so I do have gestational diabetes.

I'm upset that it wasn't picked up sooner but trying not to beat myself up about it. Wishing I'd asked to be retested once there was the confusion with the first test weeks ago.

Just waiting to hear from diabetes clinic now about monitoring my sugars and also if they will down earlier c-section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now