Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whopping baby

(17 Posts)
Lovemylittlebear Thu 16-Feb-17 16:33:03

Hi all

Pregnant with third baby (34.1). Was referred for growth scan yesterday and it's measuring 40'weeks (6 pound 9). We had the same happen with DS and he was estimated big but was fine at 8.9.5 at 1 week 1 day early. This one seems to be measuring bigger sooner though and I'm slightly cracking myself AGAIN! Was thinking about birthing at home or birth centre but put off idea now and not sure if will get induced early (seeing consultant next week to discuss a plan). Anyone else been through this. I have been eating like a pie and just thought my bump got bigger quicker from being a pig but looks like part of it baby. Thanks

CrowieGirl432 Thu 16-Feb-17 16:38:01

I was just about to post about my big baby! Actually she's just got a massive tummy - measuring 40 weeks when I'm 36. I've got to do gestational diabetes test again. I'm already booked in for c-section anyway though. I do know that these later pregnancy growth scans are notorious for being inaccurate though so try not to panic!

Lovemylittlebear Thu 16-Feb-17 16:43:50

Ah yes my little blighters stomach measuring at 39 weeks. Hope it's not accuracute as don't want a nasty tear again. Hope your birth goes well. I'm in next week for another GTT too x

CrowieGirl432 Thu 16-Feb-17 17:30:11

Oh good luck with the GTT. I'm stewing about mine as there was some confusion about the first one I did - first I'd failed, then they said itt was fine. So seeing as she's now hoarding all the sugar I'm stressing that I have had GD. Oh well. Can't do much about that now! Can fully understand your fear about birthing a big baby if you had a bad tear last time sad But hopefully the size of this babe won't impact on your birth plans.

IceLemonGin Thu 16-Feb-17 17:33:15

I had GD and growth scans every week towards the end. Every scan I had was out by 40% and DD weighed a normal 7lb at 38+4. Fundal height and growth scans are quite unreliable.

Good luck with your GTT

JassyRadlett Thu 16-Feb-17 17:36:41

DS2 was measuring full term at 33 weeks and was 10lb5 at birth (40 weeks exactly). It was actually easier and less tearing than (slightly) smaller DS1 - done in the MLW, fifteen minutes of pushing tops.

Lovemylittlebear Thu 16-Feb-17 17:39:27

Ah that's made me feel a lot better smile thanks guys x

spankhurst Thu 16-Feb-17 17:40:51

DS was over 10 lbs, I did the perineal massage thing in the weeks before birth and although I tore, it healed super fast and wasn't very painful. I also took arnica before my due date as it's meant to help with bruising and tissue trauma. Maybe worth a try just in case?

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 16-Feb-17 17:43:47

DS was estimated to be something ridiculous like 11lbs at a 34 week scan, but he was 7lb15oz. Scans are notoriously inaccurate, as a PP says. What does your midwife say? Mine measured DS as being a perfectly normal size and he was.

TheLuckDragon Thu 16-Feb-17 17:53:34

My son measured 6lbs 11oz at 33 weeks and they expected him to be 9ish lbs at birth.

He was 6lbs 2oz hmm

TheLuckDragon Thu 16-Feb-17 17:53:55

He was born at 41 weeks by the way!

DaisyQueen Thu 16-Feb-17 17:56:18

I wouldn't rely on the growth scans. Mine was the opposite and dd was estimated to be a tiny 4lbs full term and she was actually 6lb13

Isadora2007 Thu 16-Feb-17 17:57:42

My growth scan said "8lb 12"

He was 10lb 14.5.

Rinceoir Thu 16-Feb-17 17:59:57

As others have said growth scans are not very accurate. DD was estimated at over 10lbs. She arrived 11 days late at 7lbs 6. Very average

Lovemylittlebear Thu 16-Feb-17 19:11:18

Fingers crossed this one will be average as soon wasn't too bad despite the warning - just hoping to avoid induction and was hoping for a birth centre this time but probably best not to risk it I guess - thanks for the replies smile

Cantchooseaname Thu 16-Feb-17 19:16:51

Estimated 8lb 13 at 36 weeks, born 38+4 7lb 3 oz. what does your midwife say? Everyone who felt baby was surprised scans showing so big.

Lovemylittlebear Thu 16-Feb-17 19:27:16

Just to go back for more scans - the same was like this for My son but seeing the consultant on weds so will see what they say. I need to work baby out at about 38!weeks and then all should be fine 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now