Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bump Touching

(21 Posts)
Littlejayx Thu 16-Feb-17 11:38:11

Hi all,

How do you all feel about people touching the bump?

People I know, I think its lovely

People I don't know bit strange.

Am I weird?

MumBeth Thu 16-Feb-17 11:59:57

It's still your body and people should respect your personal space. I even get freaked out if my parents suddenly touch my bump. They've learnt now to ask first ot wait to be invited. So you aren't weird IMO. 😊

ColourfulOrangex Thu 16-Feb-17 12:22:43

I absolutely hate it, this is baby number 2 and a friend actually lifted my top yesterday because there "is no bump" erm put my top back down hmm maybe I wouldn't mind so much if it was on top of my clothes but I'm still kinda weird about it

Littlejayx Thu 16-Feb-17 12:24:44

Colourful,

Under the top? that's a tad strong isn't it?!

Like parents or friends or my partner I think its lovely, but random strangers in the super market ( as yesterday) so so so strange

ColourfulOrangex Thu 16-Feb-17 12:40:08

I was so shocked I actually didn't know what to do, I just sort of yanked my top back down, I'm 18 weeks so I know people will start wanting to touch etc but still...I do think it's strange when random people touch, someone in a supermarket? Wow that is strange

EggsEleven Thu 16-Feb-17 12:42:53

I didn't really have this happen to me. Once from a colleague who I'm not particularly close to but don't dislike either. I didn't really mind. I suppose if random strangers kept approaching me in the street to do it I'd have found it a bit odd and irritating.

mistermagpie Thu 16-Feb-17 13:55:21

The only person who is allowed to life my top up and touch my 'bump' is DS, but he's 19 months old and weirdly obsessed with my belly! I don't even like DH touching it really, let alone random strangers. Nobody has actually touched me though to be honest, but I'm 33 weeks now and literally every single person I see feels the need to comment on my size. I'm measuring a bit small externally (baby is 90th centiel though) because I'm tall and everyone goes on about it. In no other situation is it fair game to comment on or touch another person's body in this way!

drinkyourmilk Thu 16-Feb-17 15:04:59

I've only had one person other than my dh touch my bump. She's been really persistent even when I've asked her to stop- last time I told her that if she kept doing it I'd have a feel of her boobs as to me she's just invading my space not touching my baby. Hasn't done it since.
Keep your hands to yourself people!

Redpony1 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:13:20

Why the hell would anyone want to touch a bump? That's bloody strange! Not a chance in hell will anyone ever touch me without their hands being slapped away

Raffles1981 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:38:37

I have never felt the urge to touch a woman's bump, not even when my close friends were pregnant. I am only 12 weeks, so my partner has ''talked'' to my slight bulge and stroked/kissed my belly - but we make love, so he has been more intimate than that and I don't mind him doing it. I am not really sure how I will feel about others touching my bump. I am a very cuddly person and tell myself it won't matter but in all honesty, I cannot imagine how I will feel when someone goes for it. I suppose it all comes down to personal space. But I do agree, why are people obsessed with touching baby bumps?

Jenbob13 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:45:23

Im 39 weeks and can't even count how many times I have been bump fondled. I work in pharmacy and even had a random
patient lean over and give me a good stroke. I was like 😐.

Weirder still a work colleague (woman) started giving me a hug and a peck on the cheek before leaving every night after developing my bump. I am not a touchy feely person in the slightest. Freakin weird.

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:55:14

Sorry to go against the trend but I love bump touching from close people! Even from the women in my office, there are only 6 of us in this particular work space so we're pretty close smile although one of them was pregnant last year and said from the start she wouldn't let anyone except her husband so had to respect that and sit on my hands smile

Strangers definitely not!

ILoveCheeseMoreThanYou Thu 16-Feb-17 15:55:55

Eugh I HATE it! Although I've never had a stranger do it, just friends and family confused

Hellmouth Thu 16-Feb-17 16:01:12

No one ever tried to touch mine. DP says it's because I have that won't-take-any-shit-confident-independent-black-woman vibe lol

I don't think I would like it though!

Notyetthere Thu 16-Feb-17 17:45:56

Nope. Nobody apart dh are allowed to touch my bump. I know MIL is desperate to touch and I remember her being like that with sil but I'm not comfortable with it. Not even my mum will get the chance.

Notyetthere Thu 16-Feb-17 17:45:59

Nope. Nobody apart dh are allowed to touch my bump. I know MIL is desperate to touch and I remember her being like that with sil but I'm not comfortable with it. Not even my mum will get the chance.

mumonashoestring Thu 16-Feb-17 17:50:33

After someone got a bit grabby in the lift one morning I very loudly explained at work that anyone touching my bump was giving me carte blanche to grab any part of them I chose and squeeze as hard as I liked for as long as I wanted. Never had a problem after that grin

I did have a couple of people ask very politely - one because she'd never had a close friend or relative who was pregnant before and had never felt a baby moving, and would quite understand if I didn't want her to (I let her), and DH's grandmother, who also liked to come round and just sit and listen to DS feeding after he was born.

Lunalovepud Thu 16-Feb-17 19:49:07

I can't STAND bump touchers. It drives me completely bonkers. I'm pregnant with DC2 and am waiting for my bump to pop out and the bump touchers to come lurking...

MIL went on and on about it when I was expecting DC1, baby was asleep most of the time when she was around and she thought I was lying and keeping her from feeling her grandchild - entitled much?!! It's my body FFS!

I can't give you any advice as I am really obnoxious about it and don't want to be a bad influence. wink

I have done everything from swatting hands away, to shouting "Don't touch my baby!" loudly in public, to reaching out to touch boobs / balls in response. I have no shame. wink

Pregnantmumma123 Thu 16-Feb-17 21:40:17

Close family or DH I don't mind at all...but I actually had a very odd encounter with a total stranger the other day who just grabbed my (pretty huge) bump...I was a bit shocked to say the least She then asked a few baby questions, due date etc and then held out her hand and asked for 30p!! hmm was so bizarre I had to laugh!

InTheKitchenAtParties Thu 16-Feb-17 21:50:07

I loved it. In fact I encouraged demanded it! I regularly pulled my top up saying 'look at my belly. Isn't it marvelous? Touch it!! Go on!'. I was very proud of my bump and wanted everyone to admire it smile

I would always ask before touching a pregnant woman though. Mumsnet taught me that.

Elkalv Thu 16-Feb-17 22:18:49

I am not that far along so most people don't know that I am pregnant, but I worry I might punch if someone does it unexpectedly ))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now