Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If you had spd with your first how was your second pregnancy??

(16 Posts)
ShouldIBuyOrShouldIGo Wed 15-Feb-17 21:31:01

My hips are starting to hurt...is it a forgone conclusion?
I ended up on crutches with DC2 but I think a lot of that was not resting early enough and carrying on at work without thought to my hips. It all cleared up at around 36weeks. Should I brace myself for the same again?

MrsBobDylan Wed 15-Feb-17 22:22:46

I was in a wheelchair first time round (I blame a long commute and trying to be all middle class by doing pregnancy yoga) and much better a second time round. Knees together, one stair at a time, walk as little as you possibly can. Good luck!

TheProf Wed 15-Feb-17 22:39:05

I was signed off work at 30 weeks with dc1 as I couldn't walk and was in a lot of pain. This was an office based, sedentary post.By the time I was pg with dc2, my job had changed and I was on my feet all the time. I was able to work up to 36 weeks (labour at 37 weeks) with barely any pain.

I had acupuncture and reflexology with dc2 but unsure if this also helped prevent spd.

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Wed 15-Feb-17 22:44:45

Worse and i was having physio for weeks after the birth too

ShouldIBuyOrShouldIGo Thu 16-Feb-17 07:41:29

A mixed bag then, thank you! Did you find your hips hurting earlier on?

smilingsarahb Thu 16-Feb-17 07:54:16

Get yourself some good physio/chiropractor/massage person even if you think it's expensive and protect yourself as much as you can. Do everything to minimise problems. I didn't and regret it. Good luck.

lozengeoflove Thu 16-Feb-17 07:57:58

It was worse and was so bad after birth for ages. Ended up going to see a wonderful osteopath, and only then did it ease.
Good luck OP flowers

Daytona79 Thu 16-Feb-17 08:05:19

Started at 12 weeks with first pregnancy , 2nd pregnancy it kicked in at 8 weeks I would say pain was at a similar level but what I did notice is it taking way longer to go away this time I'm now 7 months after baby born and still sore.

First time it was totally gone around month 4

Daytona79 Thu 16-Feb-17 08:07:46

I started chiropractor treatment immediately 2nd pregnancy at 8 weeks and had to have 1 visit a week to keep me off crutches so that prob helped 2nd time round

1st time I never started treatment till further into pregnancy

So taking everything into account I'd say 2nd time round definitely worse

Snowflakes1122 Thu 16-Feb-17 08:10:23

I had it with my second baby, had to see a physiotherapist and was so painful at night.
I didn't get it at all with my third baby.
This is number 4 now and I have it, but it isn't that bad. I'm 22 weeks so I guess there's time.

Sleeplessinmybedroom Thu 16-Feb-17 08:11:59

I didn't have it at all in my first pregnancy. With my 2nd it started at about 35 weeks and I had to start maternity leave early. No crutches and I just about managed to get about still. My 3rd pregnancy it started at 29 weeks and I was off sick until I started maternity leave. I had a belt and crutches.

SquedgieBeckenheim Thu 16-Feb-17 08:12:03

First pregnancy - SPD started at 19 weeks, went away at 34 weeks when I was on bed rest for pre eclampsia. Had regular physio, managed to keep working full time up till admission to hospital with a support belt.
Second pregnancy - started at 8 weeks. Was given crutches at 30 weeks. Signed off part time work. No regular physio this time, in a different trust and they do things differently! Am having massage and acupuncture but the benefit is very short lived. I'm 35 weeks now and just want it over!

phoebe2016 Thu 16-Feb-17 13:56:25

I didn't have it in my first or second pregnancies, but started with it at 26wks with this pregnancy! Im 22+ 1 now and it is getting worse, constant deep pelvic pain when standing up, walking, and omg nightime is awful, turning over in bed is agony sad im currently waiting for my physio appointment and Dr has prescribed co-codamol for pain. Wouldn't be suprised if i end up on crutches further down the line. Apart from that my pregnancy is going well and i am healthy, it's a shame SPD is putting a dampner on it!

SairdyJane25 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:16:57

I had it first time round from about 20wks, spent most of the last 3 months of the pregnancy sleeping on the sofa as it was just too painful in bed. Am currently 10wks with #2 and thought I was being paranoid this week that my hips were aching in that familiar way when I was trying to get comfy in bed. But after reading this I'm realising that it probably is the start of SPD this time round. I see a chiropractor once a month anyway and have spoken to her about treatment and she is determined to keep me away from the hopeless physio department at my hospital. Can't recommend chiropractor enough!!

phoebe2016 Fri 17-Feb-17 06:06:49

Just re-read my post...it should say 'started at 16wks in this pregnancy' lol.

FairyPenguin Fri 17-Feb-17 06:34:05

I had it with my first pregnancy, didn't need crutches but every movement hurt and I pretty much spent the last two weeks unable to do anything without it hurting. Second pregnancy: I got twinges at about 18 weeks for about 10 days then it all went away and didn't come back. Was so relieved. So you can be lucky second time around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now