Talk

Advanced search

Anti-sickness drugs

(14 Posts)
Lules Wed 15-Feb-17 12:34:32

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and being sick several times a day. I've been on cyclizine for a few weeks (was put on it after I couldn't stop being sick and had to go to hospital to be rehydrated). But I'm still being sick and it makes me so tired that it's very hard to function at work or looking after my toddler. I tried metoclopramide in my last pregnancy but had to stop taking it quickly because of side effects. Is there anything else I can try? I was on prochlorperazine for a couple of days which I think was better but again it made me very tired. I have a GP appointment tomorrow.

Sunnie1984 Wed 15-Feb-17 12:41:52

Ondanstetron id the only one that worked for me.

That's worth asking about. Xx

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Wed 15-Feb-17 12:56:22

Yes I recommend ondandestron too.

IME doctors can be reluctant to prescribe it because it's expensive. It is absolutely worth pushing for though. I've tried most anti sickness meds going and they all pale in comparison.

drinkyourmilk Wed 15-Feb-17 13:01:46

I'm on Odanestron too. It's the only thing that's made any difference. I'm nearly 34 weeks, still being sick and won't be coming off it before delivery!

Lules Wed 15-Feb-17 13:07:10

Ok I'll ask about it. I don't really know what to do - I can drink water ok so it's not dangerous but I can't cope with it all. Had to take today off work.

xStefx Wed 15-Feb-17 13:16:48

Ondansetron is an anti emetic, it can be taken WITH antihistamines (cyclizene) or Phenergen etc.. I was prescribed both together with my daughter as they do different things. Antihistamines fight the histamine that the body is making to fight the "foreign Object" its has noticed growing in you i.e the baby.
Anti emetics tells the brain to tell the stomach to stop being sick. They both work in different ways and are safe to take together. If you go to helpher.org there is a treatment list there that shows you and doctors what can be prescribed together. I was on both until delivery also, like you I had issues with Metoclopramide also. x

Lules Wed 15-Feb-17 14:38:56

Thanks for the info

Chintaria Wed 15-Feb-17 14:51:37

Ondansetron is great, but there's also something called Litican (I'm in Belgium) which I took alongside ondansetron last time I had HG.
Good luck, hope it eases for you soon...

xStefx Wed 15-Feb-17 15:03:02

Yes i believe litican is called domperidome over here :-) Ondansetron is also called Zofran incase you need to know lules. Good luck x

Lules Thu 16-Feb-17 19:53:23

So I've been prescribed Promethazine. I'm willing to give it a go but I'm worried that it's going to make me really tired as it's a sleep aid. Anyone managed to work and take it? I'm a lecturer so I need to be on the ball. It says take 1 (20mg) up to 3 times a day.

Hollyhop17 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:22:22

I take promethazine 3 times a day for HG. I have found it helps with my sickness and nausea. I'm not sure about work yet as I've been signed off for nearly 3 months but heading back next week... Good luck

Mummyh2016 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:51:20

I took promethazine from weeks 12-20, i was told to take one every evening before bed so the drowsiness didn't really affect me.

Lules Sat 18-Feb-17 07:46:06

Well I'm still being sick in the morning, but yesterday I managed to eat lunch and dinner without being sick! This is a massive improvement. I did fall asleep at 8pm but I can cope with that.

KikiA Sat 18-Feb-17 18:35:01

Hi OP,

Sorry you are suffering! Just wanted to say that at 12 weeks I've just found the combo that works for me which is Ondansetron 8mg every six hours plus prochlorperazine 2x 3mg twice a day. Ondansetron was good for minimising sickness (was only sick 3x a day max) but not for debilitating nausea. Now with the prochlorperazine I don't throw up or have nausea!! But I guess what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all - you may have to just try and work through some options with your GP! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now