Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwife appointment at 28 weeks- baby measured small?

(29 Posts)
justanotheryoungmother Wed 15-Feb-17 12:25:05

Hi everyone,

My head is in a lot of places right now, so I apologise for this not being the most eloquent post.

I had a midwife appointment yesterday (I'm 28 weeks today) and she said I have to have a scan this week because the baby is measuring up to be small. She said it's currently 26cm (which made me panic because I've been googling how big it should be right now and apparently it's like 38cm?!?!). My bump is small, my mum has been looking concerned recently because it's actually quite a lot smaller than I imagined it should be.

Is it something I've done? I've had nausea the whole time, feel really sick today, but I make myself eat when I can, which always results in me feeling sick, but I do it anyway because I know I need to feed the baby. I eat quite a lot of fruit and veg, meat has been repulsive to me since I became pregnant, but I've forced myself to eat it for the protein.

Any comments appreciated, I haven't heard when my scan is yet but she said yesterday it would be within three days, which seems quite urgent to me sad the heartbeat is strong, and in the scans everything has been fine, but 26cm seems really small??

Sorry for this ramble, I'm just quite worried sad

Bluebellevergreen Wed 15-Feb-17 12:30:16

Calm down OP you havent done anything wrong!
Is she taking the fundal height measurement?
First, those are estimates and lots of people get send for scans which are also estimates.
Second, my fundal height has been bang on and that has been 36cm at 36 weeks, 38 at 38 etc. I dont think they started taking it at 26 weeks anyway. It is a very rough estimate.

Whatever you are eating the bubba will get himself before you have a chance, it doesnt sound like you are starving yourselfanyway.

Just go for the scan knowing that again is it not so accurate and I am sure it will all be fine.

The bump size is not necessarily an indication of baby's size. Position, stomach muscles and so on have an impact.

Try not to worry

Bluebellevergreen Wed 15-Feb-17 12:31:42

You should have a growth chart in your notes to show you have far from the average you are. Ignore google

justanotheryoungmother Wed 15-Feb-17 12:34:03

I did get a growth chart in my notes and it is a little under compared to where it should be sad

justanotheryoungmother Wed 15-Feb-17 12:35:21

Blue- thank you for your kind words sad DP blames me, as he thinks I don't eat enough, but I eat three meals, or if I'm feeling really rough then I eat whenever I cansad

Cottagecosy Wed 15-Feb-17 12:40:02

OP try not to worry. I was made to worry loads by consultants during my pregnancy as they said baby was measuring big (on FH and scan). All kinds of horror stories. As it turns out she was born 40+ 5 a very average not at all big 7lb11

There is a minimum 10-15% margin of error on scans and FH Is even less accurate. Even if they are right- you may have small babies or baby may just have a later growth spurt. Whatever happens it is nothing you have done.

justanotheryoungmother Wed 15-Feb-17 12:45:39

Thank you Cottage flowers

HandbagFan Wed 15-Feb-17 12:45:59

Try not to worry so much.

There is likely nothing wrong. I don't know where you've got 38 cm at 28 weeks from. It should be 28 cm or there about. So you're measuring two weeks behind at 28 weeks when there's lots of time to go.

You'll go for a growth scan where they'll take more accurate measurements. Even this growth scan can be 25% out, and there are lots of examples on here where the weights have been completely wrong. In my case DS was two weeks late and weighed 1lb less than they thought he would at 40 weeks.

Can you imagine how much out the midwifes measurements can be? Every time someone measures they can get a different reading, even the same person, so if the scan is up to 25% out, imagine what the midwife measurement could be!

If the growth scan does indicate your baby is smaller than average, they'll keep an eye on you. But smaller than average is usually fine - for every big baby there's a little one too! It's rare for it to be a problem.

People carry babies differently - and it's almost certain your baby is fine. It sounds like you're under a lot of pressure from different people, but I hope this perspective is useful. Take a deep breath and enjoy the growth scan - a chance to see your bubba again!

justanotheryoungmother Wed 15-Feb-17 12:47:49

Thank you HandBag smileflowers

buckyou Wed 15-Feb-17 12:55:39

Really, try not to worry. If it's your first and you are quite slim anyway it's probably just that your stomach muscles are hold your bump in. You are only 2cm small, you are supposed to measure roughly the same in cm as you are weeks.

See what they say at your scan but I'm sure u and baby will be fine. Oh and tell your mum and partner to piss off!

drinkyourmilk Wed 15-Feb-17 13:08:06

Fundal measurements are notoriously inaccurate. You should measure in cm the same as the number of weeks you are. Growth scans are routine if you measure 3cm out in my trust, your trust is obviously 2cm.
Your baby will have all the nutrients it needs. Many of us with hyperemesis have actually lost weight during pregnancy and been surviving on absolute crap. Babies will be born just fine smile.
Be aware the growth scan can be inaccurate too.
Tell your husband to give his head a wobble and try being supportive instead of blaming you for something out of your control.

Brightsmoke Wed 15-Feb-17 14:02:31

Just, I'm 29 weeks today, and had my first measurement yesterday at 29cm. Midwife said its completely normal measurement, so your really not that small, try not to panic.

On another note, there is an antenatal club for May babies that is really supportive and knowledgeable, feel free to come over and join us there smile

hopsalong Wed 15-Feb-17 14:05:18

I wouldn't worry. I was 27 weeks last week and was measuring at 23 weeks. But I had had growth scan on same day (due to previous large baby) and baby was on 90-something percentile... The obstetrician said I must have a 'deep' pelvis. Truly think those measurements of fundal height are useless. (Not that growth scans perfect either.)

AyeAmarok Wed 15-Feb-17 14:13:51

Honestly, don't worry.

IIRC, the fundal measurement on your stomach should correspond to the number of weeks you are, plus or minus 2. So at 28 weeks you should be 26-30cm.

I didn't get a bump until about 7 months, stomach muscles held it in and I'm small/slim anyway. Baby always measured slightly small by a couple of centimetres. Baby born at 42 weeks a perfectly normal 6lb 14.

Just have the scan and think of it as an added bonus to check all is well and see the baby.

Bluebellevergreen Wed 15-Feb-17 14:21:34

See OP smile listen to all the experienced ladies here and ignore "DP is blaming me" hmm
I would personally take him to the next appointment, tell the midwife that he thinks it is your fault and let her deal with him grin

I started taking my DH to my appointments and it has worked a treat for support!

flowers

MotherOfWren Wed 15-Feb-17 14:25:20

Hey op don't panic as that might upset baby. My LO is 9 weeks and she measured small but my MW told me that it should be 3cm either side of the week go for your scan I'm sure they will put your mind at rest I was 2 weeks over and baby was only 6ibs but perfectly healthy and beautiful some babies are just smaller smile

Etak15 Wed 15-Feb-17 14:28:17

This happened to me with dc1 and dc4, but I think at bit later stage than you. First one I was referred for scan but
Was remeasured by about 3 different midwifes and said was fine - dc1 was 7.2 born 40+1 and with dc4 they scanned but all was fine and was born 40+3 at 8.1.
Are you tall? I think that was why my bump seemed smaller?

Bluebellevergreen Wed 15-Feb-17 14:31:20

With all the good intentions of my heart please don't tell this to pregnant women: op don't panic as that might upset baby.

Some of us suffer from anxiety, stress and antenatal depression and comments like this can only upset, worry and make the mums feel guilty.

There is also no scientific evidence to back that up and I have been reassured by my carers that this is not true.

It is better for the mum to be relaxed but to say things like that are not helpful.

Thank you

Bluebelltulip Wed 15-Feb-17 14:32:52

My fundal height measurements were all over the place so had plenty of growth scans and all was well, but I still worried a lot for each one.

charlie20167 Wed 15-Feb-17 14:38:08

Fundal height measurement the midwife does means absolutely nothing about the size of your baby! All through my pregnancy I was measuring small and my midwife constantly sent me for growth scans and my baby was 8lb dead on when she was born. I think it's just the procedure they have to follow to send you for a scan if you're measuring smaller for dates! It's so worrying tho! Hopefully you'll be reassured when you go for scan smile

daimbar Wed 15-Feb-17 14:41:38

I had exactly the same at 28 weeks. Midwife said baby was measuring small and sent me for a scan.
Also had a small bump and nausea.
Scan seemed to show baby's head was smaller than normal but nobody seemed concerned.
Anyway she arrived perfectly healthy, 7lbs 8oz and her head is fine.
I think it's quite common to be referred for a scab so I wouldn't worry.

Luckystar1 Wed 15-Feb-17 14:50:28

OP try not to worry. I measured consistently 2-3 weeks small with both of my children... DS was 8lb 11, DD was 9lb.

I'm small so I expected to measure small.

Acorncat Wed 15-Feb-17 15:13:02

I measured 27cm today at my 28w appointment, midwife said it was absolutely fine. It doesn't seem a very accurate way of measuring anyway. I measured a cm small right through my last pregnancy and baby was 8lb5 on due date.

amelie427 Wed 15-Feb-17 16:45:16

I only measured 22cm at my 25 week appointment. By 28 weeks I was measuring 27.5, and at 31 weeks I was measuring 30 - so I caught up.

It's not an exact science, so they aren't worried as long as you aren't more than 2cm either way. If they are worried, they will send you for a growth scan.

So try not to worry smile

TwinkleStars15 Wed 15-Feb-17 17:08:44

Can I ask, when does your
midwife start measuring your bump?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now