Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

GD, SDP, anything else to throw at me?

(3 Posts)
user1487080316 Tue 14-Feb-17 14:08:49

I'm 25+5 and have just had a letter to say ive tested positive for GD, no further information just that I am to attend a workshop tomorrow to discuss changes I will need to make. I've been off work for almost a month with SDP, which ive finally got a physio appointment for on Thursday.

I'm really really struggling with all of this. I am extremely needle phobic and just the thought of having to test my blood x amount of times a day is sending me into a panic. I am a primary school teacher - early years and love my job. I hate having time away from my class and have really struggled being away from them . If it wasn't for the fact that some days I cannot walk I wouldn't currently be off sick. Now with the GD I'm going to have to take more time off.

I just feel absolutely awful and fed up. I don't drink fizzy pop, eat white carbs or munch down bars of chocolate, my only vices are tea and fruit. My 30th birthday is coming up, going to be rubbish anyway being pregnant and now this, anyone wanna eat my birthday cake for me?

Sorry for the ramble

HopeAndJoy16 Wed 15-Feb-17 09:09:58

I'm so sorry you're feeling so rubbish flowers, it can be so hard when you can't physically do the things you used to and having the GDM diagnosis on top.

I don't know if this will help, but when you test your blood sugars you use a tiny lance which you can adjust the depth of rather than a needle. Some of the threads on here are quite useful xx

Also with the SPD, I started seeing an osteopath and the sessions with her have really helped! I've got my first physio appointment this week but don't think they do anything hands on, whereas the osteopath gently realigns my pelvis which helps with the pain.

I hope you manage to enjoy your birthday flowersflowers

sycamore54321 Wed 15-Feb-17 14:58:54

Sorry you are feeling so down. I had SPD and can empathise but i had an amazing physio so was never as restricted as you were.

I don't know much about GD but I've known several people who did have it, and I don't recall that they ever needed much time off work as a result.

on the injections, I had to stop a condition that meant I needed to inject daily. It was very daunting at first but you get used to it unbelievably quickly. My advice would be to ask for a lot of help at the start but to get used to doing it all yourself as quickly as possible. I know it is difficult to go from believing you are healthy to suddenly being sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now