Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Reassurance Needed

(8 Posts)
Vida32 Mon 13-Feb-17 11:38:26

I know this is going to sound a bit crazy but I probably just need to hear from someone that I am worrying over nothing.

I had my 28 week appointment this am with my mw and she had a trainee with her. The trainee measured my bump and I was measuring small, so the mw came over and did her own measurement, which was fine. Before she measured, she palpitated (if that's the right word) my bump. I know they always do this but she did it really firmly and it very uncomfortable. A couple of hours later and my bump is still achy.

But she is an experienced mw, right? She knows how firmly you can squeeze someone's belly without doing them any harm? I'm feeling anxious that it's hurt the baby or the affected the placenta. I feel like I should have said something.

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 13-Feb-17 11:47:03

The MW couldn't possibly have done any damage to the baby or the placenta. They're really well protected and a bit of pressure from the outside won't have done anything.

arbrighton Mon 13-Feb-17 12:58:33

If it's uncomfortable at the time, say so! They're (hopefully) caring people who should stop/ try a different way.

Karmaisabitch Mon 13-Feb-17 13:44:49

When my midwife checked my bump and felt around first....I actually thought she was going to break something with the amount of force she used, was hurting for a few days after that.

However, things have been fine.

I even fell over twice on Saturday night and baby is okay. They've loads of padding

harleysmammy Mon 13-Feb-17 14:28:41

When my doctor felt where my boys head was at 28 weeks, i thought he was gunna break the sac he pushed down that hard. At my 20 week scan they pushed really really hard and i ached for 2 days, but everythings okay now at 29 weekssmile they're so so well protected in their so try not to worry, i know thats easier said than done because last week i accidentally bumped my belly on his moses basket lightly and thought i'd given myself placenta abruption (i googled). He's okay though, the midwife said it'd take a very very hard hit to do any damage and even then its unlikely. Try not to worry x

Snowflakes1122 Mon 13-Feb-17 14:39:35

I had similar with a scan at 18 weeks. She pressed so hard I got painful braxton hicks that woke me that night.
All one though, so think all those poor stretched muscles can get achy with prodding.

Snowflakes1122 Mon 13-Feb-17 14:42:09

That's meant to say All ok though not all one.

Vida32 Tue 14-Feb-17 13:15:13

Thanks so much. Bump was achy yesterday but better today and baby has been kicking. I am terrible in medical settings - I never feel like I can question anything or ask for anyone to do things differently. I'm really worried about this when it comes to the birth but DH and I have been talking about it and are trying to come up with some strategies.
I did mention birth plans to my MW but she said it isn't something you can plan (which of course it isn't). But I'm going to have to have something written down because I know I'm struggle to stick up for what I want in the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now