Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can't gain weight back lost through morning sickness

(10 Posts)
HN42 Mon 13-Feb-17 10:35:57

Hi all, I am 14 weeks with twins and have lost around 3-4 pounds since I fell pregnant, which are pounds I could have done without losing as I am underweight for my height. I was put on anti sickness meds at 10 weeks to avoid hospital admission after I lost those 3-4 pounds in a few short days from being sick and struggling to eat due to retching. I managed to stop myself losing any more weight and I am currently still taking the anti sickness meds as I struggle with retching at meal times if I don't take them. However, I have been feeling better in myself for the last couple of weeks and I am snacking about 5-6 times a day in addition to eating breakfast, lunch and dinner but I'm just not gaining any weight. Is it normal at this stage to not have gained weight yet?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 13-Feb-17 10:52:48

Well my ms hasn't been terrible but I've lost 2.5lb since I last weighed myself in November (I've only done it this morning because I needed to check dds weight for a new car seat). I tend to gain very little & very slowly in pregnancy & my dc have all been iugr (I've been told the 2 aren't related but I do somtines wonder). The consultant suggested I eat lots of full fat things in pregnacy as way to help when I questioned him about it last time. I also make sure I take a pregnancy multivitamin as it helps me feel like I'm doing something. Ultimately the babies will take everything they need from you & your reserves. Sorry I've not really answered your question, I would carry on how you are & bring it up with your mw/consultant to see what they suggest.

HN42 Mon 13-Feb-17 12:11:40

Thank you, I figured the babies are probably getting what they need as they were under the size they should have been at 6 weeks (a whole 0.5mm) and they implied I had my dates wrong but by 12 weeks they were at the size expected for my dates. I am concerned about IUGR as it is apparently sometimes a complication with twins, and I'm already worried enough about them arriving too early. I am making sure I eat full fat of everything too so hopefully sometime soon the weight will start to creep on...

Karmaisabitch Mon 13-Feb-17 13:48:08

I intentionally lost 9.5lbs since falling pregnant, I've another 8 weeks to go and plan on losing at least another half stone.

Karmaisabitch Mon 13-Feb-17 13:48:34

Of course, you can't afford to lose weight so as long as you don't lose anymore than you have, you'll be fined

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 13-Feb-17 16:19:45

It might be that your body is building itself up before laying down fat, so to speak or something as simple as that. I understand why you're worried though, I'm the same & only have a singleton to worry over!

EurusHolmesViolin Mon 13-Feb-17 18:38:02

It took me until about 20 weeks to regain pre-pregnancy weight with my first, at which point I still wasn't really eating a full adult diet, and the midwife said that was very common and she wasn't at all concerned. Granted, I was not underweight or having twins.

Bloopbleep Mon 13-Feb-17 18:42:28

I lost 2stone due to morning sickness and sadly it's slowly going back on. Give it time

mrscrocopop Mon 13-Feb-17 18:58:09

I also lost 1/2 stone due to MS. It suddenly came back on at about 20/21 weeks and I've been gaining steadily since then. As PP said - give it time!

HN42 Tue 14-Feb-17 17:58:35

Thank you for your reassurance, I shall continue with my endless snacking, as long as babies are getting what they need that's all I'm concerned about, they are probably just consuming all the calories I put into my body, and I guess they are still only tiny so won't weigh much yet, I'm sure eventually they'll start to tip the scales... will check with my midwife in a couple of weeks to see if she is concerned at all by my lack of weight gain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now