Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby sleeping options

(26 Posts)
naranciata Sun 12-Feb-17 22:57:29

Sorry for being clueless - it's my first time and I've read so much online that I'm going round in circles.

What do I actually need for my baby to sleep in?

So at night I was thinking of a Chicco Next To Me for easier night feeds and can also double up as travel cot.

Then also a Moses basket for sleeping during the day when downstairs? We have a 3 storey house and nursery/master bedroom on top floor so am not wild about running up and down each time newborn wants to sleep.

Then when too big for Chicco Next To Me/Moses basket into a third cot?

Then a cot bed?

Is this how it works?

peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 12-Feb-17 23:05:27

What pram are you going to use? Could you use that for downstairs sleeps, or will you be on the middle floor rather than the ground?
Your plan for a bedside crib and a downstairs Moses basket sounds good, but no need for cot and then cotbed - a cotbed is a cot until you transform it into a bed.
My DS outgrew the Moses basket in a few weeks so was in the cot by 4 weeks. No reason they can't go in from birth, but he mostly just slept on me/in the pram at first. You can get a second hand Moses basket cheaply and just buy a new mattress for it.

WowserBowser Sun 12-Feb-17 23:08:45

I do moses basket on a stand, next to my side of the bed. It's at the same height as me. Then cot bed which eventually the side are taken off to make a toddler bed.

I used to bring DS's moses basket down for some naps. Baby DD (3.5 months) mostly naps on me!

naranciata Sun 12-Feb-17 23:25:15

Going for a Bugaboo Cameleon I think. Could I use the bassinet/carrycot part for downstairs napping?

Can't decide if a baby who napped mainly on me would be more adorable or more annoying!?

WowserBowser Sun 12-Feb-17 23:26:46

She will nap elsewhere, she's an amazing sleeper. Im just enjoying it. It's cold and gives me an excuse to lounge around grin

forfucksakenet Sun 12-Feb-17 23:27:36

I used the next to me upstairs and DD slept in pram when downstairs. Or on my chest. Or in arms mostly. This worked well for us and I wouldn't spend any money on another loses basket. Pram also good because she was a terrible sleeper and a wee occasional push helped her stay asleep.

peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 12-Feb-17 23:31:13

Adorable for about the first ten minutes until you realise you need a wee, can't reach the remote control, haven't eaten in 36 hours, etc grin

haveacupoftea Sun 12-Feb-17 23:53:57

Ive a moses basket for downstairs and a crib beside the bed. When he starts being able to roll over etc he will go into the big cot. They can go into the big cot from the start I just think they look very small in them and the crib is a good height for lifting out for feeding and it swings.

I'll maybe not use the moses basket that much but it only cost £25 in the Asda baby event so no big loss if I don't.

NotSureYet Mon 13-Feb-17 00:04:01

We have a Moses basket in our room and one downstairs for day time naps. Our house isn't massive so I've started putting DD down for her afternoon nap in the upstairs basket. The downstairs basket may be put away soon (she's just over 10 weeks old).

Our eldest has just tonight moved from the box room in to the spare room so her old cotbed will be turned back in to a cot shortly for the youngest.

Sunshinegirl82 Mon 13-Feb-17 06:39:43

We had a Snuzpod (so similar to next to me) and sleepyhead for nighttime and started off with a Moses basket downstairs for the daytime but ds would never settle in the Moses basket. In the end I just took the sleepyhead downstairs with me in the morning and put him down in that on the sofa next to me or on the floor, worked fine, he settled much better. At 6 months he moved into the cot bed in his room (still in sleepyhead).

SIDS advice is that baby sleeps in the same room as you for all sleeps (day and night) until 6 months.

If you have a baby that only wants to sleep on you (ds was a bit like this early on) I found a feeding pillow helpful. Feed baby supported by pillow, baby drops off, leave baby where they are, perhaps cover with a blanket, leaves you hands free to change channel, eat and drink etc!

drinkyourmilk Mon 13-Feb-17 07:16:57

We've done the same as you. Moses basket for living room, next2me for our bedroom.
Baby will have a cot bed when they move into their own room.
When we are travelling the bugaboo bassinet is approved for overnight sleeping when tiny, then we've a travel cot.
We will get a sleepyhead if needed.
There just seems so much stuff!!

drinkyourmilk Mon 13-Feb-17 07:29:20

Scratch that comment about overnight sleeping! I think I must have read so many reviews I'm confused. Can't find any evidence to back my claim up. Guess I'm taking the travel cot from day 1!

Cinnamon84 Mon 13-Feb-17 07:37:26

Sidecar cot upstairs and Moses basket downstairs sounds good. Ours just slept in his carrycot/pram and he could fall asleep anywhere on in people's arms for the first few months. Baby should sleep in same room as you for all sleeps until 6 months.
If your baby is anything like mine they'll sleep little and often so it's easier if they sleep close by/on you. If you feed in bed and baby falls asleep you can just roll them off and have a doze next to them - just make sure you follow safe cosleeping advice

Cinnamon84 Mon 13-Feb-17 07:41:27

Sorry meant to say slept in carrycot or on people for downstairs sleeps and we had a sidecar cot for upstairs.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 13-Feb-17 08:11:52

Moses basket upstairs in our bedroom and one downstairs

Cot in her bedroom. Which she will go in at 6mths unless gets to the stage that we both disturb each other and then will go earlier / with a breathing monitor and baby monitor

To help prevent sids then should be in with you for 6mths

I've brought big Moses baskets as seen tiny ones and babies out of them by 6/8w

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 13-Feb-17 08:14:41

ANd have flat bassinet for buggy which if out/away then will sleep in that overnight

Have family 80th party a month after bubs is born. Hopefully we will go but all depends on birth etc - plus it's a 3/4hr drive so will stay the night there in Prem inn and travel back next day so bubs will sleep either in bassinet or I shall just take mattress out from travel cot

naranciata Mon 13-Feb-17 09:50:00

Thanks all. Just totally overwhelmed by all the STUFF!

Any recommendations for a Moses basket? Do I need a stand?

NameChange30 Mon 13-Feb-17 09:56:48

We have got:

Bedside crib (SnuzPod but it does the same job as a Chicco Next 2 Me)

Pushchair with carrycot attachment that baby can sleep in downstairs during the day (not all carrycots are suitable for babies to sleep in for long periods, so check)

Cot bed (for when baby is too big for the bedside crib - this is bigger than a cot and will convert into a toddler bed)

I'm not getting a Moses basket as I don't see the point of buying ANOTHER thing for the baby to sleep in! Having said that, a Cocoonababy is another possible option as they're portable and can be used downstairs or in a cot.

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 13-Feb-17 10:06:44

I had a next-2-me for my DD, which is now being used again for DS....with both children it's become more of a glorified bedside table than an actual bed for the babies blush We end up bedsharing majority of the time.
DD napped in a Moses basket downstairs during the day, but DS sleeps in a sling. He will not entertain the idea of being put down!

arbrighton Mon 13-Feb-17 11:23:38

We're only having a moses basket as SIL is passing theirs over after new nephew outgrows it (he was 8lb 12 at birth, last week...) And I think that mine will be about 8th baby to use it. New mattress of course as that is the advice re SIDS

That'll be the downstairs sleep option. If bean decides to use it. If it is sleep in sling/ on me, that's how it will be, to start

Currently looking at the bednest rental for first 6 months while in with us as our room is a bit tight, then a cot in their own room. Won't bother with a cot bed as the single bed we already have has a pull out underneath with a decent mattress so that'll be the step up. Unless DH colleague's vague comment about their cot bed turns into an actual cot bed in our house anyway!

NannyOggsKnickers Mon 13-Feb-17 11:31:54

We had a Chicco upstairs next to our bed and a PoddlePod for napping downstairs. Most of my friends with babies recommended not getting a Moses basket as they are a waste of money. DD always slept well in the pod for naps and I could stick it on the sofa or next to me in bed so I could have a nap too. She's in her cot bed now. Good luck!

Bear2014 Mon 13-Feb-17 11:35:46

We gave our moses basket away after a week as we all hated it so much. I hated that I couldn't see DD when glancing across and she wouldn't settle in it at all. She slept in her cot in our room, or sometimes in my bed. She slept in her Baby Bjorn bouncer in the living room for naps, or the buggy when out, then at 3-ish months I started putting her down for naps in her cot when at home. I'm pregnant again and will be getting a Snuzpod/Chicco next to me as there isn't room in our new bedroom for the cot. Then when it's out-grown he/she will go into own room.

Some people have a cot bed that lasts til age 4 ish with the sides off, we had a cot then moved her into a single bed aged 2.

savagehk Mon 13-Feb-17 11:39:15

We had a co-sleeper crib at first, and used the bassinet pram we were given by a friend for downstairs naps. Then a cot (again given by a friend) instead of the co-sleeper crib - but still as a co-sleeper - when he got too big for the first co-sleeper (with the side down). Then straight to a single bed.

You may find a sling handy for a baby who wants to sleep on you, means you can walk around / have hands free while baby naps.

Sunshinegirl82 Mon 13-Feb-17 12:33:02

Got our Moses basket in an Aldi baby and toddler event for £20! I think the stand was an extra tenner. I really wouldn't spend a fortune on a Moses basket, they only get used for a few months.

AudreyBradshaw Mon 13-Feb-17 14:41:19

DS is 11 weeks and has so far slept in the moses basket (or on me/dh etc). It's been shifted between upstairs/downstairs and my parents house and has been wonderful. He's got a cot in his own room (he won't be going in there for quite some time.) I'm looking into a smaller cot to put into our room next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now