Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Late pregnancy ultrasound

(8 Posts)
babynelly2010 Sun 12-Feb-17 18:28:25

Anyone had late pregnancy ultrasound for reassurance, would you recommend?

seven201 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:30:42

Why do you feel you need reassurance? Are you feeling it wiggle around ok?

UnbornMortificado Sun 12-Feb-17 19:35:05

Not for reassurance but I've had them in the past.

Is anything in particular bothering you?

ricepolo Sun 12-Feb-17 19:37:14

If you are noticing reduced movement please please please call your midwife/hospital now. Don't rely on an ultrasound in a few days' time.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Sun 12-Feb-17 19:38:27

I had loads of them because DD wasn't a massive mover (or she was, but I didn't feel much) and I had GD. I also have a SIL who had what was clearly a dodgy placenta and their DD was born at 42 weeks at only 4lbs.

I would pay to have one at about 32 weeks if I got pregnant again, just to check things like the cord and the placenta are all functioning well. Apparently that's standard in other parts of Europe.

babynelly2010 Mon 13-Feb-17 03:05:07

Baby moves much less thought out this pregnancy than my previous pregnancy. My last baby was very big resulting in traumatic birth. I had nightmares about having baby with birth defects. Baby is transverse I am worried about her being caught in the cord...
I spoke to my gp and ask him if it would make sense for me to have late pregnancy scan even if I pay for it. His response was, if I found out it is a large baby what are you going to do? He said don't worry about position we can turn her for you grin... essentially said there is no point.

UnbornMortificado Mon 13-Feb-17 04:19:22

baby I'll apologise I thought it was your first and you were just getting worried about nothing blush I'm not saying that condescending that was me 11 years ago with my first daughter.

I think they are quite valid worries is it a private scan you are looking for? I'm in the NE I've never had one but I can recommend the clinic my SIL attended.

Have you given any thought to a Caesarian? Just with the worries you have about the size of the baby. I've had two and personally found them less traumatic than they are rumoured be.

ricepolo Mon 13-Feb-17 06:33:28

I would recommend talking to your midwife/consultant and getting (forcing) them to listen to your concerns.

My #3 didn't move as much as my others-I went in for monitoring three times after reporting reduced movement. She was also measuring small so the NAH gave me a scan at 34wks which didn't show any problems with placenta or cord. However I was induced after the third episode of reduced movement (at 38wks) and it turns out that the placenta was small and the cord hadn't inserted properly. A scan hadn't shown either of these issues.

My point isn't to scare you it's to stress that a scan alone may not be what you need, especially if you go private-you then have to get the NHS to look at your results. Much better to get the medics to understand your concerns and work with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now